• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

No, I meant they were too busy chasing stars to host the show instead of how they originally presented the show by creating stars with interesting people that we got to know over time.

#62 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant Kendall. I get it now and understand your reasoning. Whatever the case, the ratings are dropping. I read the ratings are now down by 30 percent compared to five years ago. Looks like what former host Star Jones had to say is true. She has reportedly said that "real women" don't have anytime to watch to the show. To hold on to my femininity I am going to have to stop watching.

#63 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Well, as much as I like Star Jones, I'll call a bit of sour grapes on that one as she would still be working there if she had the chance. However, it's when she and Meredith left the show that it fell apart.

While there was a lot of crosstalk and some heated discussions, there was still a great deal of respect. Rosie O'Donnell respects no one! Never has. Why Barbara keeps trusting her show with this woman, I'll never know. Whoopi is going to honor her contact, but I doubt seriously if she'll re-up. Then, once again Rosie will be the top dog and will run that show into the ground for good.

#64 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

There have been reports of tension already with this new cast. Whoppi in an interview said they have mutual respect for each other but "they bite sometimes". I took in some of the show with Laurence Fishbourne. They were chatting with him about his show "Black-ish". When asked about the controversial title he made some sort of comparison to Justin and Madonna. I am sure it might spark further discussion.

Whoppi went back to her Colour Purple days and thanked him for his advice and mentoring of sorts back then. I am still not in love but I will still watch from time to time.

#65 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

See, I didn't even know that Laurence Fishburne was going to be on there, that's how far The View has fallen off for me and apparently even the entertainment shows, as they only bring them up if a fight recently broke out. I've heard that Whoopi is hoping they will buy her out of her contract.

#66 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Yes he was and I started to pay some attention. It held me for a while, but there is an awkwardness about the panel; an uneasiness. I don't know if it's because I was looking for it. Anyway I saw a headline on a site which read " ABC News Takes Over The View as Ratings Dwindle". It went on to talk about it being the 18 year old crown jewel of ABC daytime but that new management is making immediate changes etc. They said they were going to be moving it to a non-fiction branch of programming. They spoke about trying to attract a younger audience. Apparently the ISIS and hard core discussions are not doing anything to attract the young viewers.

Whatever the case the show is in trouble.

Edited by Silverfox, 30 October 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#67 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

Still no one viewing the "View"? If you are a Taylor Swift fan, you missed her in all her splendor. I can't say I am a fan but she seemed charming enough. They talked about her critics, her new album 1989, her move to NY and much more. I don't know but I am still sensing some discomfort with the cast.

I love fashion, so I was loving the fashion Whoopi and Rosie excluded.

Edited by Silverfox, 02 November 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#68 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

I get the younger audience in theory, but everyone knows that the 30+ market are the spenders. Not to mention, why are you trying to attract an audience that is either in school or at work? Even if you think they are underemployed, their job will be such that they won't have a set schedule, so their viewing of a daytime show will be sporadic.

No, forget the demographics at this point, stop making it an obvious paint by numbers panel: one Republican, one black, one Latino, one homosexual, now everyone has their very own Barbie doll, where are the ratings??? This is why American Idol keeps slipping in ratings, the producers are not allowing the show to showcase the best personalities or singers, but pandering to this notion that people won't watch what they aren't.

#69 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Whoopi is always in the hot seat these days and she has to be constantly defending the girl feud rumors whether there are true or false. Letterman was the last one I saw take a jab at her on his show.

She is consistent though and I understand when she questions why everyone keeps bringing it up. She is always quick to confess that they have their issues as women do. She told Letterman she doesn't hear people questioning whether the guys on NBC (or one of those channels) get along.

Anyway, the View continues. Last one I caught,Wendy Williams was a guest, and that's whole other story.

Edited by Silverfox, 07 November 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#70 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I think Whoopi would just like to be able to turn off The View, but with everyone questioning her about it, she doesn't get a moment's peace. I find it interesting enough that the other hosts have made so little an impact that I don't even see them on other shows to promote The View, but then again, they are off my radar, so maybe I miss that too.

#71 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

Maybe I keep them on my radar because it allows me to come and make a contribution here. Not really true. I have always stumbled in and out of it for years now. I am not very consistent but still remain curious enough to spend some time watching.

Perhaps Whoopi will jump ship and have her own show.

Edited by Silverfox, 08 November 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#72 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

I doubt it. Talk shows are hard enough, but for someone in Whoopi's situation, it is a limiting thing because her real career as an actress and comedian will always, and should take precedence. However, both of those careers depend on someone liking you enough to support you. So, she can't consistently risk those two in favor of a talk show when an opinion on one story can sour people on you forever, for example, her defense of Roman Polanski.

#73 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

I doubt it. Talk shows are hard enough, but for someone in Whoopi's situation, it is a limiting thing because her real career as an actress and comedian will always, and should take precedence. However, both of those careers depend on someone liking you enough to support you. So, she can't consistently risk those two in favor of a talk show when an opinion on one story can sour people on you forever, for example, her defense of Roman Polanski.

Quick off topic question before I hit the sack as I am totally exhausted. What acting work has Whoopi done recently? I don't know why I thought here career was over as an actor. Perhaps the whole talk show thing might not be a great idea having seen what you presented, but I seriously thought the acting was history.

#74 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:55 AM

I have not watched since Hasselbeck's wife left the show. Is Star Jones still on it ? That lady is a hoot.

#75 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have not watched since Hasselbeck's wife left the show. Is Star Jones still on it ? That lady is a hoot.

Wulfman, you are way behind. Star Jones has been gone forever it feels like. You have to do some sprinting to catch up. I am sporadic with my watching but we now have a Nicole Wallace (never really knew much about her before the show), Whoopi, Rosie O'donnell and Rosie Perez. So there you go. I have to go check out what went down about Cosby. That's my latest interest.

Edited by Silverfox, 26 November 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#76 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

How does everyone like the new View hosts? I feel like Rosie O' and Whoopi are just taking over the dialogue. Rosie Perez is not doing a good job at holding her own. Maybe she is too timid of being on live TV? She comes out of her shell every now and then, but not really.

#77 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

From the few times I've watched this incarnation of The View, it's pretty much devolved to a verbal sparring match between Whoopi and Rosie O'Donnell, so the other two really don't have an opportunity to show much of anything onscreen unless they manage to jump in when Whoopi or Rosie have to take a break from their ranting.