• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

anyone like watching the old comedies? do you still find them funny? have you got a favourite?

i still love watching red dwarf, and monty pythons flying circus

#2 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Old comedies are the ones that still brings a smile to my face. My favourite has been Different Strokes, Seinfeld etc.

#3 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

According to me even Friends have gone into the "Classic" genre. So early 90's sitcoms are considered by me as classics and they still chuckle me.

#4 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

According to me even Friends have gone into the "Classic" genre. So early 90's sitcoms are considered by me as classics and they still chuckle me.

All early 90's comedies?

Friends IS a classic. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly on crack!

#5 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

can anyone else remember perfect strangers with the cousins? balki was soooo funny i used to love that show

#6 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

can anyone else remember perfect strangers with the cousins? balki was soooo funny i used to love that show

Welcome to Real flame :)

Perfect Strangers, that is going way back. I remember my mother watching it when I was little but I was too young to get any of it. I do remember finding it strange people are actually shepherds - I thought that only happened in the Bible.

#7 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

we used to go round doing impressions of the catchphrases at school lol.

#8 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

All early 90's comedies?

Friends IS a classic. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly on crack!

I meant most of the good ones had prime time slots so they were bound to be good.

I have got the whole bunch of DVDs of Friends and watch them off and on to get inspired ;)

I take inspiration from Joey's idiotics and charm, Chandler's sense of humour and timing (best one-liners), Ross is just Ross, Phoebe, Rachel and Monica's day to day life problems and solutions.

I miss my old friends a lot :(

#9 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Caught all my old fun classics on a TV channel I found while surfing: Lavern & Shirley, Happy Days, Good Times, Alice, Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Tyler Moore show, That Girl, and on public broadcast TV, Are You Being Served and the list goes on and on.

#10 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

A lot of these classic shows I remember watching as a kid just don't hold up. I watched an episode of perfect strangers the other day, and not as funny as I remember. Of course, there are some excptions...I love lucy holds up. So does the Honeymooners. But, a lot just don't.

#11 Peggy

Peggy

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

A lot of these classic shows I remember watching as a kid just don't hold up. I watched an episode of perfect strangers the other day, and not as funny as I remember. Of course, there are some excptions...I love lucy holds up. So does the Honeymooners. But, a lot just don't.

I agree some of the old comedies just don't hold up. I use to love Happy Days, but some episodes are almost painful to watch.

One I do still like, however, is WKRP. It was funny then and still funny now. The only thing that seems kind of dated is "Jennifer," but I still love Loni Anderson.

#12 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

The ones I have a hard time watching are those from about 1965 to about 1973 and it has nothing to do with the lack of computers or anything remotely along those lines. It has to do with what was acceptable then. You can see stereotyping and that was what fed the minds us as kids watching it or perpetuating that belief if we were still watching them as young adults. I remember growing up you just didn't speak about the issues which were taboo then that are commonplace now.

#13 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I still enjoy watching Seinfeld but Friends isn't as funny to me as it used to be. I remember Perfect Strangers as being a great show but I haven't seen it in so long that I don't know if I'd still find it funny.

#14 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I was on a retro channel in my area out of boredom and found a string of what i call black and white TV-ville. You had your Westerns like The Lone Ranger, Daniel Boone; your comedies: Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, The Donna Reed Show, Life With Father and of course the original game shows. Just amazing how times have changed in what was the IN thing then like what was acceptable to say, wear and off limits as opposed to now.

#15 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I still enjoy watching Seinfeld but Friends isn't as funny to me as it used to be. I remember Perfect Strangers as being a great show but I haven't seen it in so long that I don't know if I'd still find it funny.

I agree - I will always laugh at Seinfeld, but I never watch Friends reruns. They were somewhat funny once, but not good enough to watch again. Seinfeld, on the other hand, is classic humor. I still find myself using quotes from it. I remember my parents loving Cheers and Night Court, but I had no interest in either as a child. They're both funny to me as an adult, though.

#16 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

As far as really classic shows go, Leave it to Beaver is still funny despite the fact it was filmed in the 60s! I love that one.

As far as newer classics are concerned, I love Friends, Seinfeld, and Frasier.

I don't know if any of you have ever watched Charles in Charge from the '80s, but that one is still hilarious (although a bit cheesy) to me.

#17 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

As far as really classic shows go, Leave it to Beaver is still funny despite the fact it was filmed in the 60s! I love that one.

As far as newer classics are concerned, I love Friends, Seinfeld, and Frasier.

I don't know if any of you have ever watched Charles in Charge from the '80s, but that one is still hilarious (although a bit cheesy) to me.

Most 80 shows were cheesy :)

Different Strokes, Lawrence and Friends are classics that I still watch. I have the complete series of Friends on DVD

#18 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Babylon 5 was shot in the 80-90's and was a TV sci-fi series. The big hair and the dated outfits were comical, like a page out of a high school yearbook. Charles in Charge was a favorite as was Family Ties,

#19 algwiz

algwiz

Noob

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

anyone like watching the old comedies? do you still find them funny? have you got a favourite?

i still love watching red dwarf, and monty pythons flying circus

figured you would..anyone who spell favorite with a u is from britain where monty python cums from..i like seinfeld & leave it to beaver & happy days

#20 algwiz

algwiz

Noob

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

here's my favorite episode of Leave It To Beaver when beaver gets the best of eddie haskal in the amusement park..still funny today
http://www.tvland.co...s/beaver-s-fear