• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Well I can go way back to some real classics! I can still watch I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith plus some more and still laugh at loud.

I like the Dick Van Dyke Show too. Also Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, That Girl and Laverne and Shirley.  Even though it's not that old, I also like The Golden Girls.

I find shows about women living together and their friendships fun to watch.

#42 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well I can go way back to some real classics! I can still watch I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith plus some more and still laugh at loud.

I like the Dick Van Dyke Show too. Also Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, That Girl and Laverne and Shirley.  Even though it's not that old, I also like The Golden Girls.

Yay, I found this thread just in time; I just this week started watched The Dick Van Dyke show and it definitely holds up. Another old, and somewhat obscure show that I got into recently is Love on a Rooftop, starring Pete Duel and Judy Crane.

I agree about female friendship shows, they seem to be thin on the ground nowadays but used to be a mini-genre on their own in the 70's and 80's weren't the? Remember Kate & Allie?

#43 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Yay, I found this thread just in time; I just this week started watched The Dick Van Dyke show and it definitely holds up. Another old, and somewhat obscure show that I got into recently is Love on a Rooftop, starring Pete Duel and Judy Crane.

I agree about female friendship shows, they seem to be thin on the ground nowadays but used to be a mini-genre on their own in the 70's and 80's weren't the? Remember Kate & Allie?

I totally remember Kate and Allie. I used to watch that one too. Nowadays, I guess the big female friendship show is Hot in Cleveland which has the awesome Betty White.

#44 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I totally remember Kate and Allie. I used to watch that one too. Nowadays, I guess the big female friendship show is Hot in Cleveland which has the awesome Betty White.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about that one. I love Betty White! :)

I do like the female friendships on Parks and Rec, but that's more of an ensemble show. 

#45 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

There can be only one MARRIED WITH CHILDREN. This is the greatest comedy in history, and I don't think there is someone on this earth that doesn't know who is Al Bundy, and if it is he should be instantly killed :lol: . The show was amazing from the first episode to the last (maybe some with Seven weren't so good) I still enjoy watching an episode now and then and remember the good old days when man were man and TV shows were TV shows.

6245810_700b_v1.jpg

#46 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Mine is FRIENDS (it definitely has moved into the classic comedy category). Great cast, some very good seasons and characters who you could get behind. Sure the characters became caricatures of themselves later on but it was great in the initial seasons.

#47 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I fail to remember about Friends, great comedy and great characters. Seinfeld and Freaks and Geeks were both amazing shows, but nothing is better than Married with Children.

#48 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

I don't even know if this show was supposed to be a comedy overall, but it certainly had comedy aspects in it, since comedy is a big part of lbgt life. But the show, queer As Folk was hilarious, and had me in stitches more than a few times. Just the witty retorts had me in stitches.

#49 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

I fail to remember about Friends, great comedy and great characters. Seinfeld and Freaks and Geeks were both amazing shows, but nothing is better than Married with Children.

Yeah all good shows but I personally never liked Seinfeld a lot. For some reason the stand up at the beginning and end of the shows was the best part for me.

#50 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

There was one comedy called Summer Heights High? I am not sure if anybody has watched it but it is written by an Australian man. I forget his name now, and the show is set in American also. That show had me in absolute stitches. I cried of laughter every time I watched an episode. Loved the show.

#51 TinaJoanne

TinaJoanne

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I just love The Golden Girls and MASH. Two fantastic shows!

GG was a wonderful look at female friendship and women's lives after marriage and child-rearing. The characters were a bit over-simplified, but the chemistry between them was fantastic. I can't say it was a high-calibre show - some of the writing was clunky, and the jokes were obvious. But it was entertaining and endearing and I still enjoy it.

MASH was a different story. I think it still ranks as one of the most intelligent, thoughtful, well-written and well-performed series ever produced. The way they walked the line between humour and pathos, and knew exactly when to commit to one or the other; the stellar acting (who didn't fall a little bit in love with Hawkeye?); the gut-wrenching or hilarious narratives. I could watch it all day.

So am I alone, here? Does anyone else still love these two shows? =)

#52 Justin

Justin

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

According to me even Friends have gone into the "Classic" genre. So early 90's sitcoms are considered by me as classics and they still chuckle me.

All early 90's comedies?

Friends IS a classic. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly on crack!

I could never really get into Friends. I've seen a handful of episodes and they were all funny but I just never got hooked. Seinfeld on the other hand, I could watch for hours on end. Never gets old for me. Happy Days is another good one. Shame that tvland doesn't seem to play it as much as they used to though.

#53 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

According to me even Friends have gone into the "Classic" genre. So early 90's sitcoms are considered by me as classics and they still chuckle me.

All early 90's comedies?

Friends IS a classic. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly on crack!

I could never really get into Friends. I've seen a handful of episodes and they were all funny but I just never got hooked. Seinfeld on the other hand, I could watch for hours on end. Never gets old for me. Happy Days is another good one. Shame that tvland doesn't seem to play it as much as they used to though.

Phoebe_my_eyes_my_eyes.gif

#54 Justin

Justin

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Haha I know, blasphemy right? I did like the episodes I watched, I just couldn't for the life of me make a habit of watching it.

#55 emilyrose93

emilyrose93

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

My boyfriend LOVES Monty Python! We watched "And Now For Something Completely Different" recently and I really liked it! That's a compilation of some of their Flying Circus sketches. i especially love The Restaurant Sketch, where a diner complains about a dirty fork and asks for a new one, and the restaurant staff are beside themselves apologising and threatening to fire whoever did it. It's hilarious.

My personal favourite "classic comedy" is Happy Days. I just love escaping to that idyllic world. I think every woman has had a crush on Fonzie at some point of her life. Who doesn't want a rebel with a heart of gold like him!? The episode where his girlfriends daughter gets hit by a car, and he finds out who did it and teaches them a lesson was so sweet. Henry Winkler is still a very funny actor. He was in a few episodes of Arrested Development, as an incompetent lawyer, and he was excellent.

Oh yeah, and I totally get the love for Seinfeld as well! I never get sick of that show.

Edited by emilyrose93, 06 March 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#56 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Mine is FRIENDS (it definitely has moved into the classic comedy category). Great cast, some very good seasons and characters who you could get behind. Sure the characters became caricatures of themselves later on but it was great in the initial seasons.

I love Friends! It's definitely a classic and so hilarious too. The episode with Brad Pitt never fails to make me laugh.

#57 almost2

almost2

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

I used to watch Married with Children. I thought that show was hilarious. It was one of those shows that I just had to catch. Good thing there were always reruns of it on a cable channel that we had when I was younger.

Edited by almost2, 20 May 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#58 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

can anyone else remember perfect strangers with the cousins? balki was soooo funny i used to love that show

I recently joined a Perfect Strangers fan club on Facebook. There are people who still carry a flame for that show and keep up with what the actors are doing.

Did you know that Balki is an interior decorator now? I used to love that show when I was a kid.

There was one comedy called Summer Heights High? I am not sure if anybody has watched it but it is written by an Australian man. I forget his name now, and the show is set in American also. That show had me in absolute stitches. I cried of laughter every time I watched an episode. Loved the show.

I've seen that show. The guy played multiple characters, including a female. I thought it was a funny and odd little show. It was done in a fake documentary style.

Summer_Heights_High_DVD.jpg

#59 evelynmcgregor

evelynmcgregor

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I love Charles in charge and See Dad Run. I also like That 70's Show.  And Raymond still makes me laugh.  I love it when I am surfing through channels and find an old comedy show and I wish there were a channel in my area dedicated to them.  I do get the Andy Griffith show here and always enjoy that one.  I used to watch Perfect Strangers and always got a laugh from that.  What was the one where the guys were dressing as women so they could live in a women only hotel because they could not find an affordable apartment?  That was a hoot.

#60 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Since we all seem to be announcing our ages LOL; I must say I am quite addicted to ME TV and Antenna TV that show the real classics of the days such as The Patty Duke Show, Leave It To Beaver, Happy Days, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island etc. Now I know those seem like really old, cheesy shows but those shows actually made a difference in television history. It's nice to see shows that my parents and grandparents really liked that I can share with my kid with confidence.