Favourite Classic Comedy

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

One of my favourite classic comedies is Taxi, it was shown here in the late 70's, early 80's and i have just got hold of the dvd box set so am seeing it again for the first time in over thirty years. It is still as funny as i remember and i love the feel of the set and seeing the yellow cabs. It is still an ambition of mine to ride in one, just never had the chance.

It launched the careers of several stars, including Danny De Vito who was superb as Louis, other big stars such as Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Conaway also appeared. My favourite Characters were Elaine played by the gorgeous Marilu Henner and Latka played by Andy Kaufman, he was a genius in my opinion.  

#82 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:39 AM

Fawlty towers will always be my favourite comedy, i don't know how well it translates to the USA but in Britain it is regarded as the best comedy show of all time. A lot of comedies from the 70's have dated badly but this one is still just as funny. Some of the episodes could be considered politically incorrect or even racist these days, for example the episode ''The Germans'' where Basil keeps mentioning the war, however Basil is the one who ends up looking daft so the unfortunate references seem to be forgiven somehow.

The show has brilliant acting from the four main cast members and from the supporting actors, hilarious from start to finish. A tremendous amount of material was written for each episode, on average 25 hours worth which had to be condensed in to 30 minutes. I don't think Fawlty towers will ever be equalled.