• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dave

dave

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

A suburban woman struggles to find a balance between her dissociative identity disorder and raising a dysfunctional family. It had a good run for 3 seasons, but I recommend it just for pure enjoyment. Sadly Showtime announced that the series would not be renewed for a fourth season.

Toni Collette did justice to her being cast as Tara and played each of the personalities perfectly.

Hope they renew it some time down the line.

Anyone else share my views ???

#2 Conman

Conman

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

United states of Tara has a nice Season1 . I loved Tara's multiple personalities but when it moved to Season two - with Tara's new personality - an animal - oh well.. that was a but tooo weird for me to digest. Urrgghh...

#3 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I liked this one, but think it kind of fell apart in the later seasons. It was interesting and different and sort of like a car wreck, where it was hard to look away.

#4 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I wondered how the later seasons fared - I watched season 1 and liked it pretty well (although Tara's husband and daughter both bugged the hell out of me, LOL), but haven't watched the other seasons. I guess I didn't like it well enough to renew the channel (which is what I usually do for shows I love - I only keep that premium channel until the season is over). I think Toni Collette is a great actress, and she did a great job in what has to be a really difficult role.

#5 seascaping

seascaping

Friendly

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I watched this on netflix, thank God for netflix, and REALLY liked it! Toni Collette did an amazing job... I am still scratching my head wondering just WHAT happened to her to make her develop the personalities? I don't think they ever really told us.

#6 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

If they wanted to keep it running they would have tried harder. Toni Collette was amazing...how do you win multiple awards for the show and then the next year it is gone?

You can tell they stopped caring once they realized they wanted to cancel it and just put something out there to finish it up and then move onto the next project. If Shotime would have put more effort into it then it wouldn't have unraveled the way it did.

#7 tierapatt50

tierapatt50

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

This show was genius and I do not know why people did not take to it more. The lead character who plays Tara did such a awesome job playing all the characters she had to play. I mean for a middle aged woman to be able to play a 16 year old girl, a man, a uptight suburban housewife, and a few other vastly different characters was amazing. I really wish they could have kept this going.

#8 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I always thought this show was about Tara Reid, maybe some spin-off of Taradise or something like that, lol. How long ago was this on? 

#9 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I love Toni Collete and was impressed with the first episode. Then I got busy and forgot all about it, whoops!

Sad to hear the later seasons were not as good, but now I have at least one season to find and marathon, so thanks for the reminder :)

#10 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

I loved this TV show, I always thought it was so brilliant and original. Toni Colette was a complete stranger to me before watching this TV show, but after watching it I fell in love with her character.  She is a great actress and played the role quit well, I mean, when she played the role of Buck, she did it so well and it was so convincing.  Before watching this I had  no idea what a dissociative identity disorder  was or it even existed. 

I was just quite young when I watched this for the first time tho, and still thought the show was great. It was such a pity the show didn't made it to a 4th season.  I wish I could wtch this one again, just like ''wonder falls''. Amazing show as well, very underrated tho.

#11 LO0715

LO0715

Cordial

• 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

I absolutely loved this show! Never heard of it before coming across it on NetFlix, but I found it outrageously crazy and down-to-earth. When I did some research on it once I found the title, I couldn't believe that Showtime canceled it!

Toni Collette really played her character well and the personalities that she had really were characters that seemed more reality based than fictionalized. I really wish that Showtime would have picked it up for another season. The cliffhanger of her going off to Boston to seek treatment and not knowing just how this treatment would have worked for her had my mind boggling for awhile after completeing the series on NetFlix.

This is definitely a show that I have recommended to many of my family members. I love controversial topic series that touch base on issues that are rarely spoken about or in the limelight when it comes to television topic themes. Hopefully a similar show will hit the airwaves soon enough!

#12 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

I was honestly interested in this show, but it was under a subscription that my family didn't have. I always saw the little clips of it in previews for the show On Demand. Of course, I wouldn't be able to watch it unless I wanted to pay $1.99, I think it was, for each episode. Now, that we have Showtime, just my luck, it was already cancelled. I hope this show is brought back, as well! :( 

#13 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

This show always amused me, more so with knowing a "Tara" in real life that could relate to the main character, made this show even more of a gem. its a shame it never went on longer.

#14 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

United states of Tara has a nice Season1 . I loved Tara's multiple personalities but when it moved to Season two - with Tara's new personality - an animal - oh well.. that was a but tooo weird for me to digest. Urrgghh...

Lol, I am with you!  That was just totally weird!  They could have gone on with the other personalities of Tara and do just fine, but no... they pushed it too far!  Ah well, I'll always remember season one!  Buck was my favorite personality, man there were times that ''buck'' totally made me blush, lol.  I hate it when they ruin a good show tho, this show had a lot to offer... they were fine without ''chicken''.