• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

hands up who loves the law and order franchise. i got into the original and loved the way it showed both the detectives and the lawyers views of cases - and how the 2 different disciplines had to depend on another and work as a team.

my favourite is the special victims unit variant - some of those story lines make me others really show some of the injustices in the world

#2 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Law & Order, Law & Order SVU, they're all good shows. My favorite is also SVU (Special Victim's Unit) because the story is compelling and very engaging. It's unfortunate it's mainly based on sexual crimes but that's also the pull to the show. The fact this happens in real life opens the door when victims can take a peek into how court is done or how hospitals handle this delicate issue. Granted, it's TV, but there's usually elements of truth to what is being shown otherwise it wouldn't be anywhere believable.

#3 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think it will give some victims the confidence that they are not alone - and hopefully the faith that the police who do this work do genuinely care about them.

#4 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Law & Order SVU is one of the best shows on air and it seems plausible too with the scenes and the circumstances.

The show is making me believe in the system again and that not all cops/lawmen are crooked.

#5 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I really like the way they do take real life news and base episodes on it - it does help to give views an understanding of how things work and why they might not get the outcome they want.

#6 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I really like the way they do take real life news and base episodes on it - it does help to give views an understanding of how things work and why they might not get the outcome they want.

This is what sets L&O apart from its counterparts. They don't take real life events and dramatize it for the sake of it, they do things according to the book.

I have mad respect for creator Dick Wolf.

#7 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I hope they keep making new ones - its not often i get really into a show but this one definitely

#8 dave

dave

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

This is what sets L&O apart from its counterparts. They don't take real life events and dramatize it for the sake of it, they do things according to the book.

I have mad respect for creator Dick Wolf.

I absolutely agree with you DareDevil. Counterparts/competitors of L&O creates an event from their imagination and then solve it.

Dick has changed the way a crime series should be made and have done it wonderfully well.

I make sure to watch the shows whenever I can as everytime I watch the show I get a new case. Never the same old re-run.

#9 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I don't think it's possible to grow tired of the repeats when watching the L & O series. I say that because each show is rich in detail and side stories like Elliot's marriage problems, Olivia's run in with her rapist, the supposed death of the DA who was found later in Witness Protection and so on, it just adds dimension to the main story so that you never quite catch it all the first time around.

#10 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I think my favorite of the Law & Orders was Criminal Intent, at least he first couple of seasons. Dinofrio was great, and I liked the Sherlockesq vibe to it.

Sure it went pretty down hill in the later seasons, but the first couple seasons were great.

And Flame's point, right now unfortunately we no longer have any law & orders on TV.

#11 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hijacking your thread for a minute

You know how you judge people by the shows they watch? I always thought of people that watch shows like L&O as really really serious people. Like the ones who like doing math!

I'll stick to my realty shows and Gossip Girl :lol

#12 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

I don't consider myself a serious person Wendy, far from it. Actually I am a highly comic person and love a great practical joke (within reason). I can get serious if I have to though, not everything is slap stick or comical.

#13 Techy855

Techy855

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

I disagree with the serious person comment. I think what made L&O work is that it doesn't require commitment. For the most part, each episode is stand alone. You can miss a bunch and still be on board with what is going on. There is an appeal to that over the really intricate shows that you have to stay on top of or get lost.

#14 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I greatly enjoy L&O as well, particularly SVU. My mom always loved CI, but I could never get into that variant. I stick to the original and to SVU.

#15 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

I get a treat in my area because these shows run through out the week, but, my favorite time to watch is on Saturdays when I get the original L&O back to back episodes. That's 2 glorious hours of L&O the original start of the entire series. The original Law and Order bigwig is now the boss of Elliot and Olivia on SVU. It's been a real pleasure watching the actors grow up as they progressed through the seasons.

#16 beastsbeauty

beastsbeauty

Cordial

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

I love Law & Order! I hate math, though. :frawn SVU is my favorite and I like watching the re-runs of CSI once in a while. Channel USA used to do a marathon of both on Sundays. wub

#17 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

I really love those marathons but I'd love to have one on like one day L&O, another SVU, another CSI: Miami, and so on. There's a channel here (cable unfortunately) that does that and you can watch like 12 straight hours of these shows. Only time I got close to that was watching "Keeping Up Appearances" a Brit sitcom on Public Broadcasting and only because it was during a telethon for cash and this sitcom's special dvd was being offered as a donation "gift." I had fun watching the episodes as it's one of my favorites.

#18 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

My favorite Law and Order is SVU too. I just love the show. I have to admit I liked it more last season with Elliot was still there. He was my favorite. I do think they did well without him this season too. They had a variety of new people.

#19 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I could watch Law and Order remakes virtually all week long. They have it on TNT every day, add to that SVU on USA and Criminal Intent on WGN. I didn't get into watching them until later on, and I started with Criminal Intent, so when I discovered the original and SVU, I was in hog heaven. I love the whole introspective look of, this is the cops' take and this is the lawyers' take on the situation.

I would always assume that the DA and ADA were usually in cahoots with the police, but in a lot of the shows, the lawyers ( as one would expect ) were the douchebags while the cops had a certain level of modicum and respect about themselves. I think SVU is my favorite, either because of the fact that I'm a woman, or because of Munch and Elliot. I'm not quite sure.

#20 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

I am a Law and Order junkie. Special Victims Unit is my favorite, but I'll watch any Law and Order that happens to be on. My husband has a hard time with SVU because of it's graphic nature, especially when kids are involved, but I feel drawn to it like a train wreck.