• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

I guess this falls under the category of realiy after all pageants are reality competitions.  Anyway, I admit it I am a fan of beauty pageants I have been since I was a young girl watching them with my sisters.  Last night I was surprised to see the Miss Universe Pageant on.  Why because this is a pageant that in the past always too place in the Summer, usually around July. 

I know that over the years some things have caused the dates of these pageants to be pushed back, but having the Miss Universe Pageant for 2014 in January of 2015.  That just seems qutie odd to me, and I couldn't find any explanation as to why this was the case online.  Anyway, for anyone who is interested and didn't see it Miss Coumbia won the title and Miss USA was first runner up.

#2 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

I watched as well. I don't know when it usually comes but I got the alert from my husband that the show was on. I was disappointed with the fact that it appears my country was not represented. The Caribbean still got some representation from Jamaica. I don't even know what to think about the final results.

I noticed my Caribbean girl had a few "missed steps'. Did you notice? As a young girl I loved the shows. Never wanted to miss one. I came here hoping I would see some mention of it. I am eager to hear if you were happy with the results. Some lost me with the answers to the questions. 

#3 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

It's crazy how the obsession with ratings have thrown off a lot of TV traditions. I think they used to show the pageants in the summer to give the networks an opportunity to get ratings then and it wouldn't have too much competition. I can see how it would be frustrating. I was beyond livid when they moved the American Music Awards to the fall when it used to come on in January as part of the awards season.

How high did Miss Israel and I believe Pakistan place? I know that there was some kind of major poltical snafu when they were seen in a picture together. It may have been another country other than Pakistan, though.

#4 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

How high did Miss Israel and I believe Pakistan place? I know that there was some kind of major poltical snafu when they were seen in a picture together. It may have been another country other than Pakistan, though.

I have no idea how they placed. I tuned in late when they were picking the 15 and I don't remember hearing either countries named. I will check it out further now you have brought the subject up. I did not realize until you mentioned it that there was talk of the two hanging out so to speak.

I started reading some of the debate the selfie got going. What did people expect? Did they expect they would be making sure they did not cross paths or that one might pull a gun on the other? Did you think it was a deliberate act on the part of the contestants to spark discussion/debate or anything of the sort? We need more peace in this world.

#5 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Well, that  might explain the changes in the scheduling its a ratings ploy.  It just seems kind of odd to me.  As for the awards shows a whole lot of them got messed up after various events such as 9/11 and some got pushed back out of respect.  But I too remember when the American Music Awards were in January.  In fact, they were the last Monday in January.  I have to wonder why they were moved maybe it had to do with the fact that so many awards shows seem clumpted together at the beginning of the year, and again a ratings ploy to get better ratings for it. 

As for Israel and Pakistan, sorry I dont' remember exactly where they placed in the pageant.  I don't even remember if they made the top twelve, I don't think so.

#6 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

I used to really like to watch this kind of competitions, but that changed a couple years ago. My sister still likes t watch that kind of stuff,

Well, that  might explain the changes in the scheduling its a ratings ploy.  It just seems kind of odd to me.  As for the awards shows a whole lot of them got messed up after various events such as 9/11 and some got pushed back out of respect.  But I too remember when the American Music Awards were in January.  In fact, they were the last Monday in January.  I have to wonder why they were moved maybe it had to do with the fact that so many awards shows seem clumpted together at the beginning of the year, and again a ratings ploy to get better ratings for it. 

As for Israel and Pakistan, sorry I dont' remember exactly where they placed in the pageant.  I don't even remember if they made the top twelve, I don't think so.

It was miss Israel and miss Lebanon, those two countries are no friends at all... but Miss Lebanon was just mean, look at what she wrote:

To all my supporters and Lebanese citizens, I would like to thank you indeed for your continuous support of Miss Lebanon at the Miss Universe contest …The truth behind the photo: Since the first day of my arrival to participate to Miss Universe, I was very cautious to avoid being in any photo or communication with Miss Israel (that tried several times to have a photo with me) … I was having a photo with Miss Japan, Miss Slovenia and myself; suddenly Miss Israel jumped in, took a selfie, and put it on her social media…this is what happened and I hope to have your full support in the Miss Universe contest.

That was just mean, Miss Israel just wanted to be kind and nice, be friendly! Because she knows both countries are far from being friends. She just wanted to set an example and reach out to Miss Lebanon... I feel so sorry for miss Israel.