• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

OK first off I am from the UK so not brilliantly familiar with some of the stuff being discussed and possibly watching things others dont. Anyway there is this show in the UK called the Jeremy Kyle show - which is the English version of Jerry Springer i guess. The format is to get a guest with some heart breaking story about how they have been wronged, then bring in the other party or parties and let the trouble kick off. Do you think this sort of thing is reality, is it scripted, or is it just taking advantage of often under educated people by manipulating them to react a certain way?

#2 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

We have a discussion about this show in the Talk Show fourms

Jemery Kyle

#3 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Have posted there. sorry i guess i think of things differently lol

#4 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Have posted there. sorry i guess i think of things differently lol

You are forgiven :P

#5 Filigurl

Filigurl

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I've watched Jeremy Kyle's UK show - or rather, I used to. I used to like that he was all about straight-talk and telling his guests what was what. But after a while, I started to find him self-righteous and irritating, so I switched off. I can't remember the last time I watched it. I think I'll call it hideous reality TV.

#6 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hmm I've never heard of Jeremy Kyle. Is the show viewable online for those of us not in the UK?

#7 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Is Jeremy Kyle the guy shown in that little short scene in "Crank 2" where a young Chev Chelios is being taken to task by his mother on a tv talk show?

#8 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

They have the Jeremy Kyle show in the US too. Like most daytime talk show hosts, it kind of seems like he exploits the people on his show. He kind of seems like a jerk. I saw a UK techno music video where they parody him and show a guy that looks just like him hosting a talk show and then going out for a depraved night of drug use and soliciting hookers.

#9 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

To me Jeremy Kyle is NOTHING like Jerry Spinger, so to say that it is like the UK version of Jerry Springer is much too far of a stretch. There is no fighting on Jeremy Kyle. Security guards step in immediately even if they think that there is the potential for fight to take place. He gets annoyed if one of his guests swears. Jerry springer used to laugh and take sarcastic jabs at his guests because he didn't care lol. Jeremy Kyle gets his guests help after his show. I doubt Jerry did.

#10 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

True, Jeremy Kyle does offer his guests help in the form of counselling following a show but I still get the feeling that he cares more about picking guests who will cause drama than helping people. Everytime I channel surf and see the Jeremy Kyle show come up, I take a look at the title of the episode and it's usually something so disturbing or shocking that I have to read it again, just to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Let's just say that the crazy scenarios that the guests are involved in makes the crazy twists and turns on a soap opera seem normal in comparison.

#11 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

True, Jeremy Kyle does offer his guests help in the form of counselling following a show but I still get the feeling that he cares more about picking guests who will cause drama than helping people. Everytime I channel surf and see the Jeremy Kyle show come up, I take a look at the title of the episode and it's usually something so disturbing or shocking that I have to read it again, just to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Let's just say that the crazy scenarios that the guests are involved in makes the crazy twists and turns on a soap opera seem normal in comparison.

Well I have to agree with the fact that Jeremy Kyle perhaps cares more about getting guests that will cause drama than getting them help. His shows in America seem more like that, but the ones over here in the UK seem like he cares more, although that still doesn't stop the guests from being full of drama.

#12 byersals

byersals

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I went on my honeymoon to Dublin, Ireland, and we saw the Jeremy Kyle show on there for the first time.  It is so much better than Jerry Springer.  In the episode I saw he kicks the guest off stage saying "you are worthless and not worth my time.  Get off my stage." 

#13 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

I went on my honeymoon to Dublin, Ireland, and we saw the Jeremy Kyle show on there for the first time.  It is so much better than Jerry Springer.  In the episode I saw he kicks the guest off stage saying "you are worthless and not worth my time.  Get off my stage." 

Oh my God, really? I know a couple of people that have been on The Jeremy Kyle Show. One of those people, I went to secondary school with, and she was always in trouble, so I was not shocked to see her on TV. I did ring all of our friends though. Such a surreal experience seeing someone that you know up on that stage.

#14 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think Jerry Springer is very good at milking his guests on the show for as many scandalous and shocking things as possible,. He is very exploitative and Jeremy Kyle is very different. I think Jeremy has more class (OK, he's British) and somehow his show seems less like some form of hideous reality drama and instead is quite entertaining,

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

I think Jerry Springer is very good at milking his guests on the show for as many scandalous and shocking things as possible,. He is very exploitative and Jeremy Kyle is very different. I think Jeremy has more class (OK, he's British) and somehow his show seems less like some form of hideous reality drama and instead is quite entertaining,

Jeremy definitely milks his guests fro drama too, in his own way, and in a way that is pretty subtle to those tat do not have an eye for deeper insight. A lot of the guests, he claims to like and feel for, and then when the test results come, he still does that stupid dramatic pause to keep them in suspense, even though he knows how desperate for an answer they are.

#16 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I am not a Jeremy Kyle fan I think at times he can be very condescending , judgemental, and down right disrespectful to his guest. He bullies his guest and then says I'm doing this because I want to help you. Then he is surprised when they don't want his help.

#17 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

I am not a Jeremy Kyle fan I think at times he can be very condescending , judgemental, and down right disrespectful to his guest. He bullies his guest and then says I'm doing this because I want to help you. Then he is surprised when they don't want his help.

I completely and utterly agree. For a man that is also human himself and has made mistakes, you would think that he would be a bit more understanding. I don't even think that it is about tough love with him either. I think that he is that way with his guests for ratings and to look like 'Big Bad Jeremy Kyle.'

#18 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

To answer your question of whether you think this or staged or not, I think you just answered it for yourself. The moment you said it's like the British version of Jerry Springer, that's how you know it's fake. It was a few years back that there was a show break down on all the things that are faking it for the ratings. Jerry Springer was one of them. So, if you're making that comparison  it's safe to say that it's all scripted. Honestly, I don't even think Jeremy Kyle shouldn't be listed under Talk Show since the whole point of a talk show is to converse and find things out that will enlighten or inspire. A good few of those listed are just there for dramatic purposes, NOT to be labeled as a talk show. 

#19 Gabe

Gabe

Cordial

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

If there is nothing else on then I will watch it, but he does help some people. I remember one with a drug addict and they were going to pay for rehab  and sort out all her probation details. That may have saved her life.

Here is a clip where Jeremy Kyle was pranked;

So not all shows are staged, as he was fuming when he found out it was a prank.

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

To answer your question of whether you think this or staged or not, I think you just answered it for yourself. The moment you said it's like the British version of Jerry Springer, that's how you know it's fake. It was a few years back that there was a show break down on all the things that are faking it for the ratings. Jerry Springer was one of them. So, if you're making that comparison  it's safe to say that it's all scripted. Honestly, I don't even think Jeremy Kyle shouldn't be listed under Talk Show since the whole point of a talk show is to converse and find things out that will enlighten or inspire. A good few of those listed are just there for dramatic purposes, NOT to be labeled as a talk show. 

It is nothing like a British Jerry Springer. American tends to be a lit more outrageous. Jeremy Kyle has real people on his show, and real stories, and in many instances you can tell that he really cares, which is more than we can say for Jerry Springer. You may want to Youtube some episodes of the UK Jeremy Kyle show just to see what you are talking about. Also, to add to that, I know real human beings who have gone up to Manchester to appear on the Jeremy Kyle show to have their issues sorted out by Jeremy and his team.