• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

This is something I was thinking about last night.  As many of you know The Blacklist moved from its great time slot on Monday to Thursday competing opposite Scandal on ABC and I believe CSI on CBS.  My first reaction to this was why would NBC do this to one of the biggest shows.  Yes, it can be argued that they did this to try to strengthen their Thursday night line up but it could be just the opposite and The Blacklist could lose ratings because of this.  I guess only time will tell if the move will pay off, but if it doesn't will NBC put The Blacklist back on Mondays where it performed well or cancel it.

This wouldn't be the first time a show fell victim to a network taking it from a great timeslot and moving it somewhere that doesn't work.  I can think way back to the sitcom WKRP in Cincinatti, the show performed well on Monday nights but then was moved to Saturday, where it lost ratings, then was moved again, can't remember where because CBS kept moving it, and before long it was cancelled after four season.  The irony from what I have read online after the show went into syndication it was a huge success, no doubt due to the viewers it once had on Monday night findiing it again in reruns. 

Then there was the program Ugly Betty on ABC a few years back.  The show did well leading off the Thursday night time slot which is more then could be said for any show that came before or after it, well except for Grey's Anatomy which now has the timeslot.  But ABC got it in thier head to move it to Friday's and the rest was history well the show was history, it wasn't that long after that it got the ax.

Yes, it could be argued that if we like a show we will follow it wherever it goes. But this isn't always the case, especially today with technology making it possible to watch a program later online.  So, why would people stop watching Scandal or CSI to tune into The Blacklist when they can always go catch it later.  I don't see this move being a wise one by NBC, and I hope they consider moving the show back where it did well for them and not cancel it as a result of this poor move.

#2 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

I hated it when ABC moved Revenge from Wednesday night to Sunday. Sunday is jammed pack with must watch shows already and adding Revenge to Sunday night automatically made it less of a priority for me to watch. I also think the move put pressure on the writers to deliver stories that would keep the ratings strong and as a result season two was a hot confusing mess. The show never really recovered, IMO.

#3 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

I remember when UPN sabatoged themselves when they shut down Star Trek Enterprise.  It ended up shutting down the network, the fans were so outraged.

Networks switch their shows around to try and gain more viewers for other shows.  If they have a big show they assume that by moving it the fans will just watch it at the new day and time.  Meanwhile they will replace it with another show that is not doing as well in hopes that that time slot will increase its viewer base.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Edited by KimberlyD, 07 February 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#4 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I think one of the main reasons ABC moved Revenge from Wednesday to Sunday had to do with them needing a show to replace Desperate Housewives the following season.  Yes, Revenge did suffer in the ratings some but now that ABC has moved it an hour later on Sunday it seems to be doing a bit better ratings wise. 

I too was not happy when UPN cancelled Enterprise.  To me the show was finally starting to take off and really start to bridge the way between the future shows.  But then UPN ended the show, and then UPN ended up having to merge with WB in order to survive.  I guess that was a case of Karma there.