• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

Anyone else watching this? Saul was perfect on Breaking Bad because we saw him in doses, but a whole series about him I'm not too sure about.

Having said that, I'm in just because the show airs on Monday night at 10:00 and I haven't had anything good to watch on Monday night in a long time.

The opening scene of the first episode was brilliant. Even though Saul should be in jail, the fact that his once dynamic life as a fast talking attorney has turned into him living a mundane life alone while being in constant state of fear of being found out almost made me feel sorry for him. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see Mike and Tuco so early on (I didn't pay attention to any of the casting spoilers while the show was in production). Perhaps I need to brush up on my Breaking Bad history, but I thought Mike was mostly connected with Gus Fring. Seeing how Breaking Bad characters will be weaved into the story is the main draw for me. I'm curious about the pace of the timeline and how soon we will see Walt and Jesse. I will be surprised if we see them in the first season. I also hope we get a Gus Fring appearance as well.

Vince Gilligan does crazy intense really, really well.

#2 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

I saw the trailer but didn't see the first episode. 

I actually thought it was a huge joke when they first announced it. I thought it was just a parody thing and had no idea in the beginning that they were really going to produce a spinoff for him. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it, though. I think it'll be hilarious!

#3 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

Oh, is it on already? I heard that there will be a spin off. Saul is one of the interesting characters of Breaking Bad. He's like a character whom I sometimes love and sometimes hate. I definitely like his quirkiness. Although I'm not a big fan of spin offs, I think I'll give this show a chance. I just found myself a copy of it, and will definitely be watching it over the weekend.

#4 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Aw, this is why the show made no sense to me.  I didn't realize it was a spin-off of Breaking Bad.  I've never seen it.  We started watching Better Call Saul and it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I really hated the whole way it was shot - it was emotionlesss, dry, bland, disorganized. Definitely not my cup of tea!!

#5 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

Aw, this is why the show made no sense to me.  I didn't realize it was a spin-off of Breaking Bad.  I've never seen it.  We started watching Better Call Saul and it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I really hated the whole way it was shot - it was emotionlesss, dry, bland, disorganized. Definitely not my cup of tea!!

Go watch Breaking Bad! We even have a thread about it here.

I would not suggest watching Better Call Saul before watching Breaking Bad first.

#6 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

Interesting. I didn't think about it being hard to follow if you hadn't already seen Breaking Bad. I think they'll be filling in gaps and making it stand on its own soon enough. They probably focused the plot on its Breaking Bad fans to suck them in first.

#7 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

Finally watched the first two episodes! Quirky's right. It's not hard to follow the show without a background of Breaking Bad. But I will have to say that you'll have a BETTER experience if you've previously seen Breaking Bad. You'll find it highly entertaining to see how Saul is now compared to how he was in Breaking Bad. Plus, it's lovely to see old character from Breaking Bad, doing cameos. 

#8 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

Plus, it's lovely to see old character from Breaking Bad, doing cameos. 

This is one of my favorite parts so far actually! I hope they continue to have cameos like this throughout the whole thing. 

Assuming the show is a success and continues onto multiple seasons, I wonder if we'll see cameos from the bigger characters like Walter...? 

#9 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

How did I not know it already debuted!

#10 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:30 AM

Plus, it's lovely to see old character from Breaking Bad, doing cameos. 

This is one of my favorite parts so far actually! I hope they continue to have cameos like this throughout the whole thing. 

Assuming the show is a success and continues onto multiple seasons, I wonder if we'll see cameos from the bigger characters like Walter...? 

Those cameos really bring out a smile in everyone, right? I'm hoping the same, too. That they bring in old characters for cameos. I just believe that those cameos are perfect homage to our favorite Breaking Bad characters. 

Mike's appearance was very special to me, because I really didn't like when his character was killed off in Breaking Bad.

Anyway, as to Saul - I'm still waiting for the old Saul. I'm not yet getting that in the first two episodes.

#11 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

Anyway, as to Saul - I'm still waiting for the old Saul. I'm not yet getting that in the first two episodes.

I think they're going to have to tear down this Saul first. I think a lot of time will be spent on Saul's struggles and failures and then at some point, he's just going to have to snap and the pieces will start building up to the Saul we saw many years later. 

#12 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:17 AM

I think they're going to have to tear down this Saul first. I think a lot of time will be spent on Saul's struggles and failures and then at some point, he's just going to have to snap and the pieces will start building up to the Saul we saw many years later. 

Yes, it makes sense. I understand that the old Saul can't just pick up from where he left off at BB. I kind of miss the old one, though. But I perfectly see the point why the first few episodes had to be about his struggles. It provides a stark contrast to his BB days. It should be exciting to see what that turning point will be. I hope it's one good 'snap' and hopefully soon.

#13 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

I would not suggest watching Better Call Saul before watching Breaking Bad first.

Definitely watch Breaking Bad first. You'll be hooked on that one so much that you'll be ready for the spin off. That show was quite a ride.

Edited by Zyni, 24 February 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#14 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

Definitely watch Breaking Bad first. You'll be hooked on that one so much that you'll be ready for the spin off. That show was quite a ride.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for new shows, and I have heard a lot of good things about Breaking Bad.  I just put in my netflix list.  I guess it's time for a new "binge" - let me get the potato chips, candy bars and water, and I'll be good to go for a few hours at least!!

#15 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for new shows, and I have heard a lot of good things about Breaking Bad.  I just put in my netflix list.  I guess it's time for a new "binge" - let me get the potato chips, candy bars and water, and I'll be good to go for a few hours at least!!

I hope you'll enjoy it. Give it 2-3 episodes and you'll be hooked.

#16 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

That's right. You'll definitely going to enjoy the show! So keep at it. Am I imagining things or is Saul Goodman slowly coming out?

#17 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:53 AM

I agree.  Breaking is a little slow at times but the show is definitely worth it.  I havent gotten a chance to see Better Call Saul but it's on my watchlist.  Actually, I dont even know why I keep postponing it.  Now with these reviews though I'm going to get on it.  It's probably like 5 episodes in already, isn't it?

#18 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

I just watched the first episode of this.  BORING!  I sat there nearly in tears trying to force myself to watch.  Personally I think the Director should be slapped.  How are you going to make the first 10 minutes of the story the guy at this job making cinnamon rolls and then sitting on a chair watching TV.  That is ridiculous.  Terrible show.  I have no desire to continue with this show at all.