Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

reign_dl.jpg?w=625

#2 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for creating this thread.  I love this show.  What a novel idea to pick such an oppulent time in history and bring us all the drama of "life at court".  I've always loved the story of Mary Queen of Scots, and it's interesting to see this early part of her life.  Of course, the show has lasted longer than her marriage to Francis did in real life!!

I think they've done a really good job making things appear to be "period" but updating them some to appeal to modern tastes.  The costuming is beautiful and I love the jewels and tiaras and such. And of course, all intrigues of court life fit right into our modern soap operas.

This show is so well cast, I love Megan Follows as Queen Catherine - she plays this part so well.  And of course, the girl who plays Mary does so beautifully. I just wish they hadn't written Nostradomus out - he was such an interesting character and allowed for some pretty "out there" plot twists.  I hope they bring him back.

Anyone else watching??

#3 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

I've just pick up a copy of this show. I saw the thread created, so I went ahead to finding myself a copy of the show. I'll definitely be returning as soon as I watch some episodes.

#4 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

I started watching this show as a fill in during some lulls of other shows, but I wandered away from it when other shows returned. I should probably catch up. I like period dramas, but I have to say this one has nothing on shows like The Tudors or Borgia, in my opinion.

Edited by Zyni, 26 March 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#5 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I started watching this show as a fill in during some lulls of other shows, but I wandered away from it when other shows returned. I should probably catch up. I like period dramas, but I have to say this one has nothing on shows like The Tudors or Borgia, in my opinion.

I agree, it's not historically correct at all.  It's not like The Tudor's - it's more of a fictional account of what it was like back in the 1500s.  I like that they've modernized the period - if you look at the clothing and jewelry and hairstyles, they're more modernistic.  Also, the concerns of the characters are more tuned towards issue that we have today.  To me, it's kind of like Mary Queen of Scots meets Gossip Girl.  I think that's what I find interesting, is how they're able to take 500 year old history and make it relevant to today.

#6 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

The last couple of episodes have been interesting.  To see Mary contemplating going back to Scotland.  I know in real life, Francis died less than a year after they were married and she did return to Scotland, but I wonder if they'll use this in the show.  I mean, we've gotten to know all the French nobles and people at the French court, how would they write everyone out and start over.  Although, they do have Francis sick and possibly on his death bed? 

It would certainly be a huge twist - to see her leave life at the French court and return to the Scottish court, which was vastly different.  In real life, Mary's life after returning to Scotland had a bunch of tragic and exciting twists and turns.  The writers wouldn't have to create much, if they follow her real life.

#7 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

I stumbled upone Reign quite by accident, and I have to say I do like the show.  The problem is that I tend to forget about it because I am not regular CW watcher, truth be told this is probably the only show I do watch on the CW when I remember the watch it that is.  As for it being historically accurate, when the production began they made no secret of the fact that it was based on Mary Queen of Scotts but it wasn't going to be an accurate telling of her life.  As some have pointed out if this was the case Francis would already be dead and she would of gone back to Scottland by now.   I do kind of agree though that if they had followed her life they probably would of had a very dramatic show.  After reading about the real Mary Queen of Scotts, she had much turmoil and dealt with much in her life.  But being the CW they probably wanted to do something with a youth element to it, so being completely accurate I guess wasn't an option.