• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

I started watching Black Books recently at the recommendation of someone on another forum. A couple of minutes into the first episode, I was already laughing my head off. The premise is basically a bookstore owner who hates everybody, and doesn't like selling books because he hates dealing with ordering more. The humor is so dry, but a lot of it is right on par with my sense of humor. There are only about two or three seasons, if I remember correctly, but they're on Netflix streaming if anyone is interested.

#2 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Friends.. do you like / watch any British comedies ? I have seen and liked - Coupling and The IT crowd and love em both.

Any others you would recommend ?

#3 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

Even I have watched and liked IT crowd and Coupling. Jeff from Coupling is one of the funniest characters that I have ever seen.

Other recommend British shows are Mr. Bean, Blackadder, The Office, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers etc..

#4 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm a big fan of Gavin & Stacey. Sadly I haven't seen series 3 yet.

#5 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I must admit i tend to find the older ones to be better - then again maybe i am just old lol

#6 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I must admit i tend to find the older ones to be better - then again maybe i am just old lol

Hey even I like the old shows better. Blackadder is one of my personal favourites.

Anyone who has missed out on this show please do try and catch one episode and you will be hooked. Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) at his best even better then Bean (my opinion only).

#7 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

"Keeping Up Appearances" is my favorite British sitcom followed by "Waiting for God" and of course "Are You Being Served?" The one right now I turn when it comes on is "As Time Goes By" because I find it just boring.

#8 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

That last one's a sleeper. I've watched marathons of "Keeping Up Appearances" from start to finish. That Hycinthe character is a funny one. One always feels sorry for Richard. The one episode he raises his voice at her and the look on her face was priceless.

#9 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I can't remember the name of the show, I think it was called "Are you being Served?" featuring the workers of a department store? They worked in a large department store, and I can distinctly remember an older lady with what my grandma referred to as rainbow head, where older women dye their hair often in hopes of keeping the gray out....I don't know..LOL....I never thought that would work anyway, but my grandma and I used to watch this together on our local station KET/PBS. And there was another with Judi Dench and I used to ADORE Keeping up Appearances. Mainly because I lived next to a Hyacinthe who was so incredibly obsessed with proving to the neighborhood that her brother and his wife were....well, I don't actually know. Wasn't there a guy named Oslo or something? I stopped watching the shows when my grandma passed. I figured we'd watch em' some day together, and I can wait.

#10 Filigurl

Filigurl

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

My favorites are the old ones such as Birds of a Feather, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Only Fools and Horses. Of the three, I'd gladly watch Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em again! Frank Spencer was hilarious - extremely accident-prone, always getting himself into all sorts of trouble.

#11 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

My two favorites that I love so much I own them on DVD are Fawlty Towers and Jeeves and Wooster. My other favorite that I don't own, but I watch whenever I see it on is Absolutely Fabulous. Love these shows!

#12 Zynoa

Zynoa

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I loved the series Kingdom with Stephen Fry when it aired. A lot of people did not like it, but I loved it! I also love Are You Being Served, Absolutely Fabulous, and on the science fiction side, Merlin.

#13 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

We used to watch Fawlty Towers (not sure if that is the correct spelling of it). It was so funny. We were able to catch reruns of it for a while but can't find it any longer. We were thinking of seeing if it was on DVD. Anyone else watch this when it was on?

#14 chicken1empanada

chicken1empanada

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

I love the Britcoms that air on PBS and BBC America. I've always liked the quick, clever writing and unique comedy programs that only the British can produce. I've watched Monty Python and the Flying Circus, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar Of Dibley, Mr. Bean, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Absolutely Fabulous, The Office, Peep Show, Coupling, and many others that I can't think of right now. I'm curious to know what other Britcoms are out there if any of you have recommendations. I'm sure I've missed out on lots, and am eager to discover more.

#15 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have never bothered to watch any of them. They just don't interest me. British humor can be dry at times. I like their movies better. Particularly their horror movies.

#16 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

The only British comedy I ever watched was Mr. Bean. Oh my God that show had me dieing laughing. He was always doing such stupid stuff. And the fact that he mumbled rather than talked made it even funnier.

#17 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

That last one's a sleeper. I've watched marathons of "Keeping Up Appearances" from start to finish. That Hycinthe character is a funny one. One always feels sorry for Richard. The one episode he raises his voice at her and the look on her face was priceless.

Oh yes, Keeping Up Appearances. My parents use to love this sitcom when they were still alive. So, watching it now does bring back memories of them. Irony is I think PBS, who of course airs it on Saturdays in my area has probably shown the episodes numerous times yet its still airs. Obviously, it still does well in its time slot, I like to watch it on occasion.

Your right the one where Richard raises his voice was classic. The look on her face was priceless, and probably had so many viewers going its about time he told her. I know I was doing just that.

#18 artistry

artistry

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I love Mr. Bean, he is one funny character. It doesn't matter what he is doing. A friend of mine in England loves the series Fawlty Towers. He thinks it is one of the best shows he has seen.

#19 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I love Mr. Bean, he is one funny character. It doesn't matter what he is doing. A friend of mine in England loves the series Fawlty Towers. He thinks it is one of the best shows he has seen.

I love Mr. Bean as well, my father was a huge fan of his. He used to love to watch Mr. Bean on TV when he was able to find the show. By the way, did you see the comedienne who plays Mr. Bean's appearance at the Summer Olympic opening ceremonies. He was hilarious in my opinion he literally stole the show with his bit and parody on Chariots of Fire.

#20 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

The IT Crowd and The Inbetweeners are great ones. The US version of The Inbetweeners sucks, so I'd only recommend watching the UK version (The US version bases its episodes on the UK version, but they take all of the funny out of them).

The US version of IT Crowd never even aired because it was so horrid.

The only successful remake of a British series was The Office, though people tend to like either one version or the other and not both.