British Comedies

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReilly

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Gavin and Stacey is great :). I love Mrs Brown, if you ever get the chance to watch it do, its funny :D

#22 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Check out Spaced. It's on Netflix right now. Simon Pegg wrote it and he stars in it. It's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time and you you are a comic book or sci-fi geek, you'll love it because it's full of stupid references. Nick Frost also got his big break by starring on the show, it was the first acting gig he ever had. Apparently, he and Pegg were roomates and Pegg asked him to come on the show to play his best friend. Before that Frost had never acted at all before, and now he's considered to be one of the funniest actors in the UK. If you like the movies that Frost and Pegg did together, (Shaun of the dead, Hot Fuzz), you will love the show.

#23 cjcassada

cjcassada

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

I grew up watching British comedies on the PBS channel. No matter how many times I watch the shows I never get tired of them. Mr. Bean was my all time favorite, but I also liked Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances. I still get a kick out of how Hyancith pronounces her last name as Bouquet.

#24 KaraFrakkingThrace

KaraFrakkingThrace

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

My brother used to watch a lot of British comedies on PBS. I never really got into them, with the exception of The Vicar of Dibley, which I thought was hilarious. There were some extremely funny episodes in the BBC's Merlin, though, and I've been intending to try Red Dwarf (on my brother's recommendation) and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (I really like Michael Crawford).

#25 LadyLuck7

LadyLuck7

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have always enjoyed several of the British Comedies. Are You Being Served? That was a really good one. Red Dwarf.. Also a good one. And I cannot remember the names of the other two I watched alot but they were good also. More wholesome family oriented shows.

Edited by LadyLuck7, 18 August 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#26 SJ77

SJ77

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I've always enjoyed British Comedy, but I am British, so there you go! I like The Office, Coupling, Gavin and Stacey, The Vicar of Dibley, My Family, Men Behaving Badly, Keeping Up Appearances, Bottom, Little Britain and Miranda Hart. That's all I can think of right now. I love dry humor. I think it's very funny when people can make fun of themselves and I love some good sarcasm.

Edited by SJ77, 18 August 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#27 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

I am not much of a fan of British comedies. They are just not that funny, as with some fo the American comedies too. I do like British comedies for the fact that they are more raw and gritty though. It makes it far more entertaining that the glamour of American comedies, which is completely unrealistic in my opinion. One of the only British comedies that I ever found myself really laughing at was two points Of lager And A Packet Of Crisps. Loved that show, and then it just got weird and incestuous towards the end.

#28 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

I quite like them! My favourites are the IT crowd and Black Books. The humor is so... out of this world that I can't help to laugh. And when talking about Black Books one has to be amazed at how awesome Dylan Moran is, if you like the show then watch some of his stand up comedy it's pretty similar. Can't wait for a new season to come out!

#29 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

I quite like them! My favourites are the IT crowd and Black Books. The humor is so... out of this world that I can't help to laugh. And when talking about Black Books one has to be amazed at how awesome Dylan Moran is, if you like the show then watch some of his stand up comedy it's pretty similar. Can't wait for a new season to come out!

Oh I have heard of Black Books. One of my favorite - well ex favorite - celebrities over here in the UK, put on her Facebook that one of her favorite TV shows was a show called Black Books, and I found myself intrigued by it - just the title alone. I never did seek it out though. What is Black Books actually about? Also, my type of humor is wit. I love a good comeback or creative and new ways to say things. That is kind of funny to me, and just outright silly stuff too.

#30 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

Black Books is about Bernard Black (Dylan Moran) who is a... special kind of a book store owner. He doesn't care about his business, he hates having customers etc... basically he just drinks and smokes. :D You can watch a couple of scenes from youtube to see if you like it. Try this one:

#31 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

I used to love the original episodes of Trigger Happy TV. They would air them here in the US as well and eventually came out with a US version of the show, but it was not as good. The original played great music throughout the show too. I think they even released some CD's to go along with the show too at one point.

#32 Tempe

Tempe

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Doc Martin is my favorite. Our PBS station started running the whole series from the beginning, and I've been watching it all over again. The latest series will be in the US in the spring.

#33 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Huge fan of the British style of dry humor right here. My personal favorite is Rowan Atkinson's best performance Black Adder. All 4 seasons of the show are good but seasons 3 and 4 are comedy gold. I also like Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Fawlty Towers was of course very good.

Not a huge fan of recent British comedies but as someone mentioned, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's Spaced is pretty good. Worth checking out for sure.

#34 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Just watched the end of The IT Crowd, sad to see it go but that was a good send off :D

#35 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

I used to love the original episodes of Trigger Happy TV. They would air them here in the US as well and eventually came out with a US version of the show, but it was not as good. The original played great music throughout the show too. I think they even released some CD's to go along with the show too at one point.

Peter, thank you very much for the video :D I think I am going to have to give it a try.

OhioTom76, I remember Trigger Happy TV with Dom Jolly. That stupid phone sketch used to be amongst one of the most popular lol. Another British comedy that I used to really laugh at sometimes was a comedy called Bo Selecta. I am not sure if you have heard of it, but it was hosted by Keith Lemon? All of the characters were performed by him too.

#36 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Any Red Dwarf fans? I used to love that show when it was first on, I would buy the magazine and everything. The later seasons were a bit uneven, though.

I do wonder whatever happened to Grant Naylor, the  show creator. He was supposed to be working on some animated scifi thing, but I haven't heard any news about it in years.

#37 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Just watched the end of The IT Crowd, sad to see it go but that was a good send off :D

I have been hearing about the IT Crowd for years now, but I have never actually sat down and watched it. From my understanding, it is a comedy right? And since it is being talked about in this thread, I am assuming that it is also a British comedy. But what is it about exactly, and is it actually funny?

Edited by pipergale, 04 October 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#38 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I like the Brits dry sense of humor. One of my favorite series, is an oldie but a goodie, "The Last of the Summer Wine" which basically revolves around a group of a group of retirees who live in a small country town. It's seriously a lot funnier than it sounds, the mischief the characters get into. :)

#39 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

I like the Brits dry sense of humor. One of my favorite series, is an oldie but a goodie, "The Last of the Summer Wine" which basically revolves around a group of a group of retirees who live in a small country town. It's seriously a lot funnier than it sounds, the mischief the characters get into. :)

That is the one with the older cast members isn't it? I find that a lot of people from overseas find the british sense of humor to be dry, but I have no idea why they say so. I much more prefer the humor that encompasses sarcasm and wit, and I feel like some of the british comedies encompass that very well.

#40 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

My all time favorite comedy created in the UK is the show Mr. Bean, but that's ancient history. Now I enjoy watching the show called Bad Education, that is about a lousy school teacher and his strange class of kids. The creators released only two seasons until now, but I believe that we will soon have a third one.

p01djwdt_l.jpg