• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

My all time favorite comedy created in the UK is the show Mr. Bean, but that's ancient history. Now I enjoy watching the show called Bad Education, that is about a lousy school teacher and his strange class of kids. The creators released only two seasons until now, but I believe that we will soon have a third one.

p01djwdt_l.jpg

hahaha! I was waiting for somebody to mention Mr. Bean. Shockingly, Mr. Bean was quite a big part of my childhood. In school when the teacher didn't show up, they'd wheel in the TV and play Mr. Bean episodes for the class to watch lol. I used to love it but as I got older and began to watch it with a more mature head, I found it to be absolutely tedious.

#42 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Mr. Bean was the first thing which told me Rowan Atkinson is a genius. BlackAdder was the second. Two completely different styles of comedy and two completely different characters. A dim witted guy in a physical slapstick humor and an evil genius in a wordy, satirical, dry British style humor series and he did both of them with equal ease.

#43 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

I saw Rowan Atkinson in the film Witches. I don't know if you have ever seen it, but that was the first thing that I ever saw Rowan in since first seeing him in Mr. Bean.

Whilst watching Mr. bean though, I can't eat at the same time because he makes me feel sick :/

#44 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Why though? Mr. Bean was almost a kids' show. Nothing sick about it as such.

#45 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

The IT Crowd is one of my favourite comedy series! It's such a shame that they ended it but I can see why they wouldn't want to keep dragging it on. I'm also a huge fan of The Inbetweeners. It's absolutely hilarious! I still haven't checked out the movie actually.

#46 TamBam

TamBam

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I loved the IT Crowd, i watched it on Hulu. It took me awhile to like it, but second season, i couldn't get enough. I hate that it didn't last long enough, but i did enjoy the ending. I also liked The Cafe, i really liked the Grandmother she was a crack up and it was another show that didn't last long. I've seen other BBC comedy shows but most of them try way to hard to be funny or i just don't i just don't get the humor.  I tried watching Little Britian but i really didn't like it.

#47 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Just watched the end of The IT Crowd, sad to see it go but that was a good send off :D

I have been hearing about the IT Crowd for years now, but I have never actually sat down and watched it. From my understanding, it is a comedy right? And since it is being talked about in this thread, I am assuming that it is also a British comedy. But what is it about exactly, and is it actually funny?

It's about a couple of nerds who work in the IT department of a company and everyone basically ignores them, and their office is down in the basement, and customers ask them stupid computer questions all day, and their new boss is a woman who knows nothing about computers and BSed her way into the job. There's also a perverted ,psychotic boss and a goth who works in basically a dark closet all day. One of the catchphrases when someone calls about their computer is: "Have you tried turning it on and off?" The joke is that computer guys are unhelpful and unlucky with women and have contempt for people who don't know how to fix computers.

Why though? Mr. Bean was almost a kids' show. Nothing sick about it as such.

I think maybe she was grossed out by his looks. He's a very odd looking man. I wouldn't want to wake up next to that face in the morning. But he's a funny guy.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 24 July 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#48 Riesz

Riesz

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

The IT Crowd is classic!  Like others, it took a while for me to get into it but I'm a bit of a nerd so I decided to stick with it.  Trust me, it gets very good and is hilarious!

I also love the classic Red Dwarf.  If you're a fan of cheesy sci-fi, definitely check this out.  It's ridiculous, corny, and very dated but still awesome!  Sometimes you just need a feel good show and this is definitely it.

The IT Crowd is classic!  Like others, it took a while for me to get into it but I'm a bit of a nerd so I decided to stick with it.  Trust me, it gets very good and is hilarious!

I also love the classic Red Dwarf.  If you're a fan of cheesy sci-fi, definitely check this out.  It's ridiculous, corny, and very dated but still awesome!  Sometimes you just need a feel good show and this is definitely it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions in this thread!  I love British comedy so I'll definitely check out the shows recommended here that I haven't seen yet. :D

Edited by Riesz, 25 July 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#49 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

I too love Mr. Bean when it airs in my area.  For awhile when we had HBO it was on there, and then a Spanish network aired it for awhile and I don't actually speak Spanish but Mr. Bean has very little dialogue in it so its easy to still watch it and laugh.  My father use to love to watch Mr. Bean and even had some of the episodes on videotape.

Another show that both my parents use to like airs on our local PBS station called Keeping Up Appearances.  All about a woman who tries to pretend to be high society when it actuality she isn't.  The lead actress in it was hilarious. 

#50 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

Mr. Bean was the first thing which told me Rowan Atkinson is a genius. BlackAdder was the second. Two completely different styles of comedy and two completely different characters. A dim witted guy in a physical slapstick humor and an evil genius in a wordy, satirical, dry British style humor series and he did both of them with equal ease.

My mom could do nothing but to agree with you, she loves Mr. Bean!  That's her favorite TV show of them all! She loves British humor in general, but must admit that over here not quite a lot people got the kind of humor seen on Mr. Bean, hence the TV show wasn't so successful here.  Wish they still aired it, it made my day watching it on TV on Sundays.

Edited by Sefarad, 15 February 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#51 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Keeping up appearances is a British comedy that can be watched time and time again and you will always find something new to enjoy about it. All the characters are superbly written and the acting is tremendous. The portrayal of 'super snob' Hyacinth is never to be forgotten and the actress Patricia Routledge puts everything into the role.

In each episode Hyacinth's attempts to impress the neighbours and 'keep up appearances are thwarted by her down and out family, led by brother in law Onslow. This gives the show much of it's humour as does Hyacinth who is a monster of a character that everyone does their best to avoid. Hyacinth is completely oblivious to this fact and thinks that her next door neighbour is in love with her, infact he is terrified of her and wants to avoid her at all costs.

This show shows a slice of English life that doesn't really exist now in the 21st century but i'm sure many people know someone like Hyacinth!

#52 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

British panel shows are AWESOME. My favorite is QI, hosted by Stephen Fry. Also I'm not sure if this qualifies as a comedy, but Misfits was excellent, especially the first 4 series

#53 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

A British comedy i would reccommend is Friday night dinner, this is about a Jewish family from North London, a Mother, Father and two grown up sons. In keeping with Jewish tradition the family have a big meal every Friday night, however each week something always goes disastrously wrong.

This is an original idea for a sitcom and is based on the writers own experiences, there is some very good acting from the main cast members. Much of the show's humour is provided by the neighbour ''Jim'' who keeps turning up on the doorstep and is very strange, he is also completely socially incapable which provides a lot of laughs. There have been three series made to date.