• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

I didn't think I would like this show when I first saw the previews, but now it's one of my favorites. All the actors on the show were unfamiliar until I started watching, but I ended up liking all the characters anyway. I liked My Name is Earl, and this show has a somewhat similar feel, but it's a bit more down to earth than Earl was. Some moments make me crack up so hard, and who doesn't love maw maw?

#2 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

This show just keeps getting funnier and funnier. I love it when a show hits its stride and really nails it on the humor. You don't see too many of those shows nowadays, but I suppose it's always been like that.

#3 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hulu recommended this one to me not too long ago, and at first I was turned off based on what the title image looked like. I thought it was a show from the 70s or something based on how the characters were dressed. Well I'm glad I gave it a chance, because every episode is so funny and unique! Not many comedic sitcoms are truly funny these days, but Raising Hope is!

#4 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

This is up there in my top 5 favorite comedy television shows. I absolutely love how quirky the family is and how well it works for them! They are extremely unique but they're cool with that and their views on things totally make sense in a backwards sort of way.

I'm behind on this season but I'll be catching up soon. My list of things I need to catch up on is getting longer and longer.

#5 Midnight

Midnight

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

It was a male cousin who got me into watching this series. I can't call myself a really avid follower of the show, but I like it and when I get the chance to see an episode I do grab that chance. I find the show hilarious but with a heart.

#6 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of Raising Hope. Do you have any idea how long it's been on, what network runs it, and what is the time/day of the broadcast? Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the storyline? I get by reading your posts that there is a family involved.

#7 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but we just got a Hulu subscription so I will put it in our queue to check out later. Toobi I am not certain, but I think it plays on ABC.

#8 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Toobi, Raising Hope's season 3 premiere episode will air on Fox at 9:30, October 2nd (Tuesday) according to my nifty little Android app called TV Show Favs. I love this show, it's probably my favorite comedy on TV tied with New Girl. However, we usually just record the shows and catch up in bursts throughout the season. It's the dramas we watch every week.

#9 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

This show is so stupid but so amazing at the same time, lol. It cracks me up at how dumb and redneck this family is but how wonderful their chemistry and cohesiveness is. It makes me think I am watching a real family instead of a TV show. I can't think of a bad episode.

Greg Garcia kept true to his My Name is Earl roots but still made this so different and so interesting that I can't stop watching.

#10 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I second what Drunken Lunchbox said. It's so incredibly stupid....but I can't help but watch anyway. I know people who do some of those things, so I can laugh at their redneckness. Then they take it even farther and I have to laugh even more, lol.

#11 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I am not invested in Sabrina but I teared up when Hope called her mommy

#12 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I am not invested in Sabrina but I teared up with Hope called her mommy

That *was* really sweet, huh? I didn't see it coming at all. I figured there would be some sweet moments, sure, but to lay out the M word so naturally like that? It was a definite "awwww" moment.

#13 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

I loved when Hope called her mommy! I actually like Sabrina's character a lot. In fact, I like all of them. This is one of the very few comedies that I watch each year and it just never gets old. Sometimes the goofy stuff they do actually reminds me of my family :o No, really! The episode where they had to do all kinds of weird banging and tapping on the door to make it open is pretty close to what we had to do to get ours open til my husband finally installed a new door knob. Not to that extend, of course. We had to lift up and right on the knob to make it open :lol:

#14 Pooki

Pooki

Friendly

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

LOL!

Will a custody storyline be too heavy? Because I want to see Sabrina officially adopt Hope

#15 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

LOL!

Will a custody storyline be too heavy? Because I want to see Sabrina officially adopt Hope

It might be. It could potentially be turned into a huge comedic storyline of all the problems they might run into. I'm not sure if that's going to be something they want to tackle any time soon, though. They have all the marriage stuff to go through already.

#16 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

They should definitely do it after they tackle marriage. An adoption storyline will give it some "heart"

Many comedies do serious issues and manage to make it comedic without offending. Raising Hope can handle it, I am sure

#17 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yes I agree, Sabrina adopting hope could be pulled off with no trouble keeping with the show's vibe.

It was so strange when they put Maw Maw in the retirement home. I mean, breaking her out made a great show but deciding to leave her there was disappointing. She's my favorite character!

#18 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I started watching it because it was the same creators as My Name is Earl, but I didn't enjoy it. I watched 5 episodes waiting for it to get funny...but it never did. A lot of it is "I see how this is humorous but it's not making me laugh."

#19 That1Girl

That1Girl

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Raising Hope is one of those little shows that kind of flies under the radar, but has a loyal following. I've watched since the beginning and really like it. MawMaw is a hoot and Jimmy's parents are played to perfection.

#20 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I started watching this series a few days ago on Netflix, and I am officially hooked.  I think one of the reasons I love it is because it reminds me of 'My Name Is Earl' which is one of my all time favorite shows (don't judge me!).  I can't believe I had never seen it before now, I feel like this show doesn't get as much credit as it should.  I never hear anyone talking about it online. 

Edited by AyeManda, 21 July 2013 - 03:15 PM.