• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I discovered this one on hulu when the complete first season was available and whipped through it in no time. I describe it as: "it's so bad, it's good". The adult actors act like kids, none of the characters know what a pronoun is, and you'd be dead if you took a shot every time they said the word "sex", but this is all part of its charm!

#2 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Not to mention that the kids are constantly falling in "love" with each other and the parents take it totally seriously. I caught the first season on Netflix and it was all over. I can't stop watching it and I have no idea why. When I try to explain the plot to someone about it, I get embarrassed.

And you gotta love how a show that started off as a warning about premarital sex and teen pregnancies turned into a show where everyone's banging everyone else. I mean, what??

#3 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I know what you mean. This could be sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. Not a favorite show but if my husband is gone for the night, I will watch it. I would never want him seeing me watch it though as I view it more for teens.

#4 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

I know what you mean. This could be sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. Not a favorite show but if my husband is gone for the night, I will watch it. I would never want him seeing me watch it though as I view it more for teens.

I watch too many teen shows to be able hide it from my household

I am curious, what is it about Secret Circle that you like? It is after one of my CW shows but none of the previews make me want to even try it

#5 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I watch too many teen shows to be able hide it from my household

I am curious, what is it about Secret Circle that you like? It is after one of my CW shows but none of the previews make me want to even try it

I think she's talking about Secret Life, aka The Secret Life of the American Teenager, an ABC Family show that's so bad, it's good.

I tentatively like The Secret Circle. I'm not holding it up to the standards of the book, I learned my lesson with The Vampire Diaries. It's having a rough first season but it's really starting to come together (my opinion) as it comes to a close. This is a wait and see kind of show.

As for Secret Life, I'll watch it when Ryan's at home, but only on the computer with headphones on. And I'm generally shameless, but this show is just more than I can bear.

#6 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

They are two different shows? :lol

I like the sound of it. I like trainwrecks lol

#7 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

They are two different shows? :lol

I like the sound of it. I like trainwrecks lol

:lol Yeah, one's got Molly Ringwald and the other doesn't! Secret Life is supposed to be about teen pregnancy but became a show that more or less advocates sex with protection. It's so dramatic in a very middle school way. Even though they're in high school and some of them have graduated. It's awesome.

#8 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Ugh, I'm getting so sick of Amy!! She's so anal about everything. Poor Ricky. Ben's new girlfriend is crazy, I just don't understand her. I wonder if Amy and Ben are gonna get a little too close, they seemed a little too cozy at the pizza joint. I'm really feeling bad for Ben. He's got Amy making googly eyes at him, a crazy girlfriend getting all up in his business and smothering him and the divorce bringing him down causing tension between him and Adrian. They both seem so regretful about that divorce, I wonder if there's still something there. I was dubious that there was anything there in the first place til I saw how they reacted to the divorce being final.

I'm all for George and Kathy (I think that's her name, too many people) potentially getting back together. As for Ann, I dunno. I don't really pay a lot of attention to what's going on with her, so I really don't care if she's gay or not. I do find it odd that George is so eager for her to be. Of course, this show never really made a lot of sense.

I totally see Grace and Jack getting back together because they always seem to get close every time they're single. It's just a matter of time. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole after he got that "favor" from Adrian, but whatever. I really like her new brother, I think he's a fun character. Definitely tells it to you straight. He seems pretty kind, too, all things considered.

I think the King and Betty will get back together because I just don't see him changing his mind about having more children. I like Betty, so that's okay with me. His girlfriend is a bit of a tightwad, so good riddance.

Poor Ricky. I feel so sorry for him having to deal with Amy every day. I don't know how he does it and I doubt he'll put up with it for much longer. She's controlling, manipulative, selfish, whiny, and angry all of the time. She puts herself first over him constantly and even over her own son. It's disgusting. He deserves so much better than her. I used to root for them, but not anymore. After they got engaged, she turned into a monster and I think she's stringing him along.

#9 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Okay, I'm talking to myself here but that's fine. I do that all the time.

The last episode was okay, but nothing really happened. Not that the others are chock full of action or anything, but the story didn't progress much. I'm still concerned about Ben and Amy, I don't know why they're so hell bent on destroying their relationships every time they get into one. Ben's relationship with Adrian was doomed to begin with since it wasn't really built on anything but the fact that she got pregnant, so that doesn't really count.

I'm surprised that Omar proposed to Adrian, but I think it's a good thing. He seems like the perfect guy for her and I really think he understands who she is. She's scared shitless of commitment and he gave her a lot of room while letting her know that he's not going anywhere. I think he'll be good for her.

We didn't see Dylan(sp?) at all in this episode. I bet that the next time we see her, it'll be the episode where she breaks up with Ben or vice versa. I don't think that storyline was very popular and she's expendable. Plus, they probably never intended for that relationship to last.

Grace and Jack, blah. I'm so bored of them! Heck, I'm bored of Grace. She's a spoiled brat.

#10 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

Okay, I'm talking to myself here but that's fine. I do that all the time.

No, you are not!

I am lurking. Actually, I may watch it online now that most of my shows are on hiatus.

It is going to be a long Summer

#11 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I agree with you, Bonny; Amy's crappy attitude has got to go! It is so not attractive and strikes an odd contrast compared to Ricky being such a sweetheart these past two seasons. She seemed like she was being a little nicer the past two episodes when they got married. Hopefully it sticks!

P.S. I thought the one episode where they turned Grace into a butch lesbian was hilarious!

#12 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

I wondered what was up with Amy too. What the heck is all this summer school about also? It's like they all wanted to go and thought it would be cake. I am glad they (producers) and not making the lives of these teenagers all glam!

#13 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'm still 100% annoyed and 100% addicted to this show. I don't even know if I have words for it. The way Amy treated her mom was horrible. What really ticks me off about her is that she's so wicked and snide and always feels like she's not only allowed to be that way, she's entitled to it! And then, if someone treats her the same way, it's the end of the freaking world.

What happened to Ben? He's such a wuss!! He had a certain kind of bravery at one time when he was willing to go as far as it took to take care of Amy/Adrian and he didn't hesitate to take responsibility when Adrian turned up pregnant. Now? He's faking a fainting spell to avoid getting in trouble for burning the school down? What?! Don't even get me started on that stupid girlfriend of his. And the fact that he slept with Alice... How random was that?

#14 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

*sigh* Why am I still watching this show?

Watched this week's episode last night and I'm honestly shocked that Amy and Ricky haven't split up yet. That boy is a freakin' saint or a complete lunatic, I don't know which. Amy is a raging bitch and does nothing but belittle him and make light of his concerns. I spy a fake divorce on the horizon.

Ben's not going to jail. Well, I'm surprised. Yep, I'm so surprised, I'm falling out of my chair. Yay. Good on Ben. *yawn*

Maybe this year will be the year I break my addiction.

#15 streakanime

streakanime

Cordial

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

I absolutely love this series. :) My husband really hates that I watch this series and calls it stupid. XD There is just something about all the drama in it. It is addictive and hard to stay away from. Is anyone caught up with the series as far as it is on Netflix? The last episode on Netflix is a horrid Cliff hanger!! <_<

#16 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Not gonna lie. I am way too old to be watching this show, but I can't seem to stop. The kids all take turns "dating" each other and each others friends. Its gotten so bad that they had to bring in new characters because they were running out. lol. Of course every season there is a teenage pregnancy. For a ABC "family" show, it sure doesn't seem like one.

#17 streakanime

streakanime

Cordial

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Not gonna lie. I am way too old to be watching this show, but I can't seem to stop. The kids all take turns "dating" each other and each others friends. Its gotten so bad that they had to bring in new characters because they were running out. lol. Of course every season there is a teenage pregnancy. For a ABC "family" show, it sure doesn't seem like one.

Don't I know it, lol. This is definitely NOT a show I would want teenagers or children to watch. I would agree that I'm also probably too old to be watching this show. But, it is just so hard to stop watching.... Plus, I am completely blown away by how they keep adding twists to keep the show interesting. I will say that they've done just about every combination of dating and pairing they can in terms of the main characters. I don't remember everyone dating everyone like that when I was in high school, lol.