• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

This one has remained enjoyable and entertaining to watch over 3 seasons and almost 3 years. I get a kick out of the sharks' comments and the dumb inventions.

#2 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I love this show too. The last episode had to be one of the most delusional. The guy who invented the gold making wind machine was kind of nuts. The wine guy who tried to swindle the sharks a second time around was delusional as well. He was more insulting than anything and I understand why all the sharks rescinded their offers. Who wants to work with someone who's insulting and doesn't listen?

#3 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

I haven't even heard of this show. What's it about and what network is it on? After three seasons, I'm wondering how it is that I haven't heard anything about it.

#4 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hi CouchPotato! You should really check it out; it's pretty interesting. Shark Tank is normally on ABC Fridays at 8/7c, but you can check out past episodes on hulu or ABC's website. Basically, various everyday people pitch their idea for a product or business to five self-made millionaires and try to get one or more of them to invest.

#5 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

It's a great show especially if you have a bit of an entrepreneur spirit.

I really enjoyed the story of the two University of Oregon students who started a nut butter business out of their dorm room. I wouldn't say they got lucky, but a lot of good things lined up for them to have the immediate success that they're having. Also, they have a great product.

They're the first contestants up, it's a good example of how great Shark Tank is as a show.
http://abc.go.com/sh...sode-315/961874

Here's an print interview discussing their background and immediate success.
http://www.huffingto..._b_1496914.html

#6 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

That does sound fascinating! And it's helping people, which is a bit of twist to the "normal" reality genre. I'm going to go to ABC's website and get caught up!

#7 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

The season 3 premiere drew over 6 million viewers, which is actually less than was expected. I thought it was a pretty good show, though. I did think Derek was an idiot for not taking Mark's offer. He shouldn't have listened to his professor partner - no wonder people say that those who can't do, teach.

#8 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I love when the guys show up and think they are the shit and then the Sharks rip them apart. Don't walk in there with one product when you run a company that sells 20 other products...they never go for it because they don't want you screwing them to go work on something else.

I remember one guy where the Sharks were like "We will buy your business and then fire you." It had me cracking up...I don't think these people are going to offer you money and go into business just to screw you. They want to do as little work as possible while making the business as profitable possible.

#9 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I really enjoy this show. I find it to be as interesting (from a business world perspective) as well as entertaining. You really need to have your stuff together to go in front of the sharks or they will tear you to shreds. Of course, some of the people who have gone on the show were nowhere close to investment worthy, and no one likes having their time wasted.

#10 abmaverick

abmaverick

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

This is a pretty good show. I think its popular because most people can relate as everyone dreams of coming up with a new product that will make them millions. Its kind of inspiring when Joe next door can come up with a million dollar idea. But at the same time, its quite humorous when some schmuck gets on the show trying to sling a crappy product and the sharks just slam them.

#11 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

The benefit of this show is the exposure. Even if a shark doesn't invest in an idea there's always an investor out there who's willing to give someone a chance. That's what makes this show brilliant.

#12 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I love this show I started watching it a few seasons back. I know it was on longer then that, but to be honest I didn't give it much thought. I had seen Shark Tank advertised on ABC, but I use to just think oh another reality show and not be interested.

One Friday night I just happen to have it on because there was nothing else on against it and found myself totally hooked. I loved watching some of the ideas that people would come into the Shark Tank with. In fact, I have found myself interested in some of these products even if the individuals failed to get a deal with the Sharks.

#13 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Its really inspirational to Entrepreneurs just starting out as well as people who have been in the business for years. I just wish some of them would practice their presentation before they go in and really do their homework first. It looks like some of them just grab their product and go in there thinking it will sell itself. You only have a few minutes, and you really have to present it the right way to get them to "buy in".

#14 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Its really inspirational to Entrepreneurs just starting out as well as people who have been in the business for years. I just wish some of them would practice their presentation before they go in and really do their homework first. It looks like some of them just grab their product and go in there thinking it will sell itself. You only have a few minutes, and you really have to present it the right way to get them to "buy in".

I agree, some of the presentations aren't that great. I've come to the conclusion that in some cases the people aren't going on Shark Tank to get a deal but more or less to advertise their product. Think about this whether the Shark's actually give them a deal these individuals are still getting a chance to let the public know about their product or service.

As I said, I have been interested by some of these products, and some of the products didn't get a deal, which tells you that even without the deal the Entrepreneur is still getting a business boost, because their product is being seen on nationwide television. So, even without a deal they still benefit from going on Shark Tank with their product.

#15 SkyTech6

SkyTech6

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Haha Shark Tank is fun of funny inventions and smart remarks from the Sharks that I don't think anyone wouldn't enjoy it. Although I've never once seen a single product from there in the real world. Some of them say they are in Walmart etc.. but I've never seen them. Both the ones good off looking for bonus capital and the ones the Sharks do invest in.

I would hate to say or even think that Shark Tank is scripted, but I have the thought every now and then. I enjoy watching it either way though because some of the entrepreneurs are very humorous as well. Great show no doubt.

#16 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Haha Shark Tank is fun of funny inventions and smart remarks from the Sharks that I don't think anyone wouldn't enjoy it. Although I've never once seen a single product from there in the real world. Some of them say they are in Walmart etc.. but I've never seen them. Both the ones good off looking for bonus capital and the ones the Sharks do invest in.

I would hate to say or even think that Shark Tank is scripted, but I have the thought every now and then. I enjoy watching it either way though because some of the entrepreneurs are very humorous as well. Great show no doubt.

Actually the Magic Bullet which is a speaker for Mp3's and computers got its start on Shark Tank. I have seen it advertised on TV an my Brother got me one of those for Christmas. Also the magnetic eyeglass holder that was advertised last year, I have seen it in my local drug store and have also seen an advertisement for it. So the products are out there, and they are being sold. Its probably just taking some longer to get wider distribution then others.

#17 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I think this show has a cool base idea, but the three sharks are just douches. I think Cuban tries to overdo it too because he comes off as a nice guy as the face of the Dallas Mavericks. Being owner and all. But on this show, he really tries to come across as a stone cold businessman.

#18 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, its hard to say maybe there are different sides to Mark Cuban. After all you don't get to be a millionaire by being Mr. Nice Guy. You do have to have some smarts about you, and know when to do business. He could be a relatively nice guy in day to day life but in the business world he might be more of a shark. Which means he can be a good fit for the show.

#19 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's really not business though. He is being pitched an idea whether or not he purchases any investments in it, is his decision. Why be a douche when you hold all the cards? If someone pitches something to you and you don't like it, you can just pass. Now if you have money in something that goes bad, then you can get chippy since you're already losing money. But why be a douche when you haven't lost a cent in the persons idea?

#20 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

I find the show interesting; the pitches, the discussion of valuations... it's kind of a primer for people dreaming of turning their invention or idea into big business and profit. At the very least it helps people learn some of the lingo and how to get prepared to talk to venture capitalists.