• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

I like Shark Tank! Damon and Robert are my favorites! Mr Wonderful is such a jerk, but I have to admit he has grown on me a lot. I tried to watch the Canadian version, which is called Dragon's Den, and it had Kevin in it, but i wasn't really all that crazy about it. I missed everyone else, and the other "Sharks" on the Canadian version were not as interesting.

#22 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

The benefit of this show is the exposure. Even if a shark doesn't invest in an idea there's always an investor out there who's willing to give someone a chance. That's what makes this show brilliant.

Agreed. There were people who didn't get a penny from the sharks but still became successful because of the exposure for their product on national television. So being turned down by the the sharks doesn't automatically mean your business will fail.

#23 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I like Shark Tank! Damon and Robert are my favorites! Mr Wonderful is such a jerk, but I have to admit he has grown on me a lot. I tried to watch the Canadian version, which is called Dragon's Den, and it had Kevin in it, but i wasn't really all that crazy about it. I missed everyone else, and the other "Sharks" on the Canadian version were not as interesting.

Agreed, the sharks on the American version are so much better. Damon and Robert are great. Robert seems like such a nice guy and he has kind eyes. Damon is sassy and doesn't tolerate any crap. I also like the ladies, Barbara and Lori.

Mr. Wonderful is mean but funny and some of his put downs crack me up.

#24 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I actually started watching Dragon’s Den before I got into Shark Tank. I like DD because it is purely Canadian content. But I do think Shark Tank is a superior show. I still like Kevin because he adds a certain level of entertainment to the show. But I like all the sharks. I prefer Lori to Barbara though.

#25 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I loved seeing Laurie and Barbara together. I really liked the pickle girls, but $7 for a jar of pickles is too much. The Sweet Balls company was pretty impressive. They sell cake pops if anyone didn't see the show yet. I’m surprised they can sell them for so cheap. It was fun to see all of the sharks go after it. I’m a little shocked they went with Mark & Barbara versus the other three. I’ll be curious to see the updates on them.

#26 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I loved seeing Laurie and Barbara together. I really liked the pickle girls, but $7 for a jar of pickles is too much. The Sweet Balls company was pretty impressive. They sell cake pops if anyone didn't see the show yet. I’m surprised they can sell them for so cheap. It was fun to see all of the sharks go after it. I’m a little shocked they went with Mark & Barbara versus the other three. I’ll be curious to see the updates on them.

One of the cake pops guys was a former sports marketing guy in Dallas, so maybe he was starstruck by Mark being the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. Barbara has been successful with the food companies before so she's a good ally for the cake pops guys. She made a couple of barbecue sauce guys very successful.

I actually started watching Dragon’s Den before I got into Shark Tank. I like DD because it is purely Canadian content. But I do think Shark Tank is a superior show. I still like Kevin because he adds a certain level of entertainment to the show. But I like all the sharks. I prefer Lori to Barbara though.

I've watched both shows and I like the personalities on Shark Tank better. Shark Tank is not supposed to be about the chemistry between the sharks. Yet the sharks have great chemistry and their interactions are fun to watch. Kevin's little jabs at the other sharks are pretty funny. Damon makes hilarious jokes about all the thuggish guys he knows in the hood.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 21 September 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#27 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

But Kevin was quite successful with the cupcake-in-a-jar company. Nonetheless, I think they will be successful regardless. It isn’t a QVC type of product, but I still feel like Laurie could have worked well with them as well. But I agree that the chemistry on Shark Tank is more amusing. I really like Damon as well. He does have a pretty humorous perspective at times. 

#28 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

But Kevin was quite successful with the cupcake-in-a-jar company. Nonetheless, I think they will be successful regardless. It isn’t a QVC type of product, but I still feel like Laurie could have worked well with them as well. But I agree that the chemistry on Shark Tank is more amusing. I really like Damon as well. He does have a pretty humorous perspective at times. 

I think sometimes people have their little biases and they're not objective in who they pick.

One of the cake pops guys used to do sports marketing in Dallas and he said to Mark that the Dallas Mavericks are the best team ever.

I suspect that Mark being the owner of the Dallas Mavericks was a big deal to them and maybe they wanted to work with him before they even walked into that room.

Even their chants and celebrating in the hallway after they made the deal kind of sounded like something you would hear at a Mavericks game.

It was cool to see the two ladies together, but there definitely wasn't any girl power or unity. They were just as aggressive as the men and took little jabs at each other.

Which is fine by me, I wasn't expecting these two intelligent, dynamic women to start braiding each other's hair and being best friends.

#29 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

It was really interesting to see the dynamic between the women. Although, I was sorry it meant Damon wasn’t there. But it was fun to watch them be so aggressive with one another. It would be interesting to see even more female sharks on the show in the future.

#30 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

It was really interesting to see the dynamic between the women. Although, I was sorry it meant Damon wasn’t there. But it was fun to watch them be so aggressive with one another. It would be interesting to see even more female sharks on the show in the future.

Agreed, I'd like to see more female sharks on the show too, maybe that Mrs. Fields chick. She's the classic American success story.

#31 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

The mango preserve company was interesting. Robert being unable to stop eating was really good advertising alone. I personally wouldn’t buy a product like that. I like enjoying mango in the healthiest form possible and just eat it raw. A lot of these gourmet food products just seem unnecessary and expensive to me.

The Breathometer is a little scary. I would be terrified of any liability issues. One law suit and the whole company could go under.  Nonetheless, the sharks all wanted it so I know nothing. That was a pretty intense deal!

I remember the Simple Sugars girl. I’m probably delusional, but that looks like a fun business to run. I will likely never be an entrepreneur, but I would definitely want to venture into the beauty industry if I ever did.

I thought the man medals and dog line stuff was completely unnecessary. The highlight was Kevin’s comment: “If you go in on this deal, you will make hundreds of dollars...” I do think she will work hard; I just don’thave interest in the product.

#32 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

I just saw that one of the investors on this show is getting in hot water over insider trading. You can read more about the lawsuit against Mark Cuban here:

http://community.cen...er-trading.aspx

#33 BonnieA

BonnieA

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

I love this show. I like the ideas. I was glad Mark Cuban went to bat for the inventors and insisted they change the contract. Until this season the show got a percentage of the profits of the company whether they made a deal with the sharks or not. While the exposure has proven to help the businesses even when they don't get a deal, this seemed greedy. Mark insisted it be taken out if he was to return. They agreed and put the policy in place retroactive to the first season. That means all the inventors no longer have to give the show money. (I think it was like 5% of the business). 

#34 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

I can't believe that Rapid Ramen thing got an investor. I've been seeing commercials for it a lot lately, and it has to be one of the stupidest "inventions" I've seen on that show and in general. It's a freaking bowl - that's it! The only thing remotely custom about it is that it's rectangle and similar in size to a brick of ramen noodles. Other than that, it literally does nothing that you can't already do with a bowl or plastic container you already have. Are people really this gullible enough to buy something like that. For what they would waste on it plus shipping, they could buy a ton more ramen noodles. Doesn't make much sense to be wasting money on junk infomercial products if you are eating ramen to save money in general.

#35 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

@ohioTo76

They say the bowl's unique design allows you cook the ramen faster in the microwave oven. It is not just the shape but also the material the bowl is made from. All bowls are not created equally .You also do not need as much water to prepare your ramen , and this means that you can use less of that salty seasoning packet. Using this bowl also improves the texture of your ramen, compared to using the regular microwave method. I have not use this bowl personally , but I have seen a few consumer reviews, and they were all very favorable. They sell this item at Walmart and it cost somewhere around $6.00, that is pretty inexpensive. For people eat ramen on a regular basis , this small investment would not be too much to ask. I  can see him making a small fortune off the college crowd alone.

#36 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

So this show is basically like The Apprentice and Dragon's Den series that we had airing over ere in the UK. The Apprentice still airs, I believe, but is just on a seasonal break, whereas the Dragon's Den has ended as far as I know.

#37 Delle LeClair

Delle LeClair

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Shark Tank and Dragons' Den are both awesome shows. I really love the concept of both of these shows. The fact that if you have a great idea, they will help. The expertise of the people on this show is invaluable, outside of the fact that they will give you money to fund your idea. It helps to give people a chance whereas they may not have one otherwise. Who knows, their idea may become the next big, needed thing. Love it!

#38 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I guess the show works. Recently at Walmart, I saw several products that I remember from Shark Tank, including the smiley face sponge thing that turns into a scrubber. It's nice to see that the inventors' products are really out there selling and it's not just a fake TV deal.

#39 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

It's also kind of a genius arrangement for the investors too. Why do this stuff off camera, when they can get paid to do it on camera, and get free promotion for the product that they do chose to invest in? Also, I think that by consumers learning more about the origins of the product and the back story, it's going to help persuade them to buy the actual thing, if not solely out of curiosity - for seeing something make it from conception to reality. Plus, every time each episode airs, that's basically a full length free infomercial for the product too.

#40 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

One of the best shows on TV for me. I really liked how you can learn about the things these investors think about when evaluating a business or an idea.  The best idea was (for me) the wine preserving balloon thingy (what was it called?). Oh and the guy who invented how to preserve wine in a glass, awesome idea!