• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm jealous of the effect that Shark Tank has on some businesses. I've been selling cat art online for over a decade and it's a struggle to find new customers.

The I Want To Draw A Cat For You guy was on Shark Tank twice and he has a backlog of orders from customers that he's still fulfilling.

He did some very basic and remedial paintings that sold on eBay for over $300 because he's famous for being on TV. I've never gotten $300 for one painting ,even though mine are more detailed.

Being on that show is better publcity than any Twitter marketing campaign.

#42 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

For me it has kind of a deterrent effect. LOL. Perhaps it's jealousy/anger or a bit of both. While some of the products on there are cool, there are also some really dumb ones that I cannot believe people are shelling out that much money for. I'm almost more put off from buying certain products featured on the show because some of the founders seemed like entitled douche bags when presenting their sales pitches. It sometimes feels like a slap in the face to work your butt off 40 hours a week at a job, and these people come along with some rinky dink idea and become overnight millionaires.

#43 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

For me it has kind of a deterrent effect. LOL. Perhaps it's jealousy/anger or a bit of both. While some of the products on there are cool, there are also some really dumb ones that I cannot believe people are shelling out that much money for. I'm almost more put off from buying certain products featured on the show because some of the founders seemed like entitled douche bags when presenting their sales pitches. It sometimes feels like a slap in the face to work your butt off 40 hours a week at a job, and these people come along with some rinky dink idea and become overnight millionaires.

I like the Draw A Cat guy and he's a nice person on social media, but I'm totally jealous that he gets $300 for making doodles, while I struggle to sell my art that takes me hours to do.

I totally get what you mean about the envy/jealousy. Some of the business owners are already upper middle class and have their rich spouses or families investing in their business.

Meanwhile a lot of us struggle and work 40-60 hours a week because we don't have the leisure time to come up with new useless gadgets.

#44 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

I actually enjoyed watching Shark Tank in America, although I wondered why there was a name change as the UK version of the show is called Dragon's Den. :) What I find entertaining about Shark Tank as that you never know what you're going to get next, some inventions are pretty clever yet others are ridiculous. I also like to watch and see which people are natural presenters and know how to pitch an idea vs some people who start sweating profusely and freeze on the spot.

#45 shadowhisper42

shadowhisper42

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Shark Tank is a good program to learn from.  I was browsing youtube once and found a video where one of the Shark Tanks panel members was being interviewed about being on the show, He commented that most people think that the offers made are somewhat unfair, but people don't realize the intricacies of business and what goes into marketing a product. He gave an example of how he started in business and explained that he had to take a similar offer in order to launch his first product, Well suffice to say, he's worth billions now, so for me its something I pay very close attention too. I think the show offers some very distinct insight when it comes to really understanding numbers and marketing strategies.

#46 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I actually enjoyed watching Shark Tank in America, although I wondered why there was a name change as the UK version of the show is called Dragon's Den. :) What I find entertaining about Shark Tank as that you never know what you're going to get next, some inventions are pretty clever yet others are ridiculous. I also like to watch and see which people are natural presenters and know how to pitch an idea vs some people who start sweating profusely and freeze on the spot.

There's something weirdly fascinating about watching the people negotiate with the sharks and seeing which ones get a good deal and which ones choke under the pressure.

I've seen people walk away with nothing because they had a deal in the palm of their hand and they offended the shark by trying to play hardball.

It's crazy to see them going from an offer of money, to nothing in a few minutes. I think that even if I got a bad offer I would take it just for the experience of working with a shark.

#47 NettaT10

NettaT10

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

wow shark tank inspires me to want to create and invent something the only thing is "the sharks" are sometimes nasty and rude especially Mr.Wonderful

#48 Skyspirit

Skyspirit

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

Love, Love, Love this show - looking at different angles.  The show is entertaining, people create success by applying to show their wares on t.v.

Although, while the Sharks are the investors, those making it to the show, provided funding or otherwise often gain business. As such, while obtaining investors is a good thing, just getting airtime can often pay off better and longer in the long run.

#49 PennySafe

PennySafe

Shy

• 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

I love Shark Tank.  The show definitely lives up to its name.  I would be chewed up and spit out under all the hard questions.  You really have to know your financial statistics and I would find it all confusing and would be all flustered under the pressure.   But I agree they get a lot of publicity and even if they don't get a deal, they will get more business.

#50 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

I love Shark Tank.  The show definitely lives up to its name.  I would be chewed up and spit out under all the hard questions.  You really have to know your financial statistics and I would find it all confusing and would be all flustered under the pressure.   But I agree they get a lot of publicity and even if they don't get a deal, they will get more business.

That's true. There are people who didn't even get a deal with the sharks who became success stories because of the publicity from the show. Occasionally , the public likes an idea that the sharks don't like and it blows up big time.

#51 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

I don't get to watch this show as often as I would like but when I do it keeps me glued to my seat. There are times when I want to reach into the television and punch ( shake maybe) someone for messing up or one of the Sharks for letting an opportunity slip away, not that the lost is theirs. Sometimes I sit and think how I would love to help some I see who have lots of potential and just need that big break.

Then when the television is off and I am sitting at my job and thinking of how far  250k can take my  business, I wonder which Shark would be willing to take me to the next level.

Edited by Silverfox, 07 January 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#52 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

I wish they would rebroadcast Shark Tank on a different day/time, like the cable channels do.  There are other shows on Friday night that I prefer to watch, so I'm not able to watch it anymore.  I love seeing the ingeniouity of some people, who have such great ideas.  I also love getting a chuckle at all the bad ideas.  I really like when they do an update - I always wonder when people leave the show rather their idea has taken off and if they're successful.  I wonder why the other networks haven't come up with their own take on the idea, it seems so successful.

#53 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Maladjusted you made me chuckle when I read your post. Some of them really make you crack up. I saw one the other night where two guys were looking for funding for their mobile chapel so to speak. I think it was a Vegas related business where they would marry people on the spot from their mobile chapel. They had a mock wedding with two of  the Sharks (I am lost for the names right now) which I thought was hilarious. At the end of the day they were turned down but they left us laughing. At least I was. They had sold the franchise and now looking to get financing to start from scratch. 

Truth is I think they ended up laughing at their own rejection as well. To your point about the follow ups. I think it's great that we get to see how they are progressing or not progressing. Like you, I wish I could watch more consistently.

#54 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

wow shark tank inspires me to want to create and invent something the only thing is "the sharks" are sometimes nasty and rude especially Mr.Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful can be a jerk but he is really fun to watch. I guess it's because he's funny.
Even when he's shooting someone down, he does it in a funny way.

I wish they would rebroadcast Shark Tank on a different day/time, like the cable channels do.  There are other shows on Friday night that I prefer to watch, so I'm not able to watch it anymore.  I love seeing the ingeniouity of some people, who have such great ideas.  I also love getting a chuckle at all the bad ideas.  I really like when they do an update - I always wonder when people leave the show rather their idea has taken off and if they're successful.  I wonder why the other networks haven't come up with their own take on the idea, it seems so successful.

Someone uploads Shark Tank episodes to YouTube a week later. If I can remember their username I'll post it here.

#55 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Yes, Mr. Wonderful as he calls himself can be funny at times. Although, there are times he gets on my nerves as well.  One of the things I don't like and its something he does a whole lot and other sharks do.  They say they are out then they start making verbal arguments when another shark is interested.  If I was sitting on that panel I would say you said you were out, so please be quiet.  What am I saying, I already find myself saying that. Maybe this show needs that rule once a shark is out unless they decide to get back in they have to remain quiet while the others listen to the pitch.  I just don't like the out sharks still arguing with those who are still in.  This is one thing that annoys me about the show.

Somehow I am not surprise that someone is out there on Youtube downloading the show.  I'm sure there are more then just one doing so.

Edited by pafjlh, 15 January 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#56 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

Mr. Wonderful can be a jerk but he is really fun to watch. I guess it's because he's funny.
Even when he's shooting someone down, he does it in a funny way.

I think that's one thing that makes the show so good, are the Sharks themselves and their relationships.  I remember watching a show similar to this on BBC, and I really didn't like it.  Their "sharks" just didn't have much personality.  When it first came on here, I didn't watch it, because the BBC one was so boring.  But I watched it one night when nothing else was on and was hooked.  I like the way they joke with each other, and sometimes negotiate against each other.  Even when some of them are being jerks, like Mr. Wonderful, it's not done in a hateful, "let's all fight" type of way that some reality shows are done.

#57 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

I agree with you the Sharks on this show are part of what makes the show so good.  They do seem to have a good type of healthy rivalry going on.  They don't get too ugly with each other, they just like to act opinionated on certain matters, and try to tell the others that they would be dumb to get involved in the deal. Especially Mr. Wonderful, I have to admit I like some of his banter with Barbara when she is on.  She likes to put him in his place and he with her.  So, I tend to agree that the Sharks have helped make this show a success.

#58 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

I saw this show recently and I belief it's Mr. Wonderful who called these two guys pigs. I must confess I was a little upset with them myself but I thought it was in bad taste to call them pigs. They came to ask the sharks to  invest in a second company they had started while the first business was doing exceptionally well. The sharks for the most part where not interested in embarking on a new project similar in nature to the first which had taken off. 

Anyway, after being called pigs one sort of insulted the same Mr. Wonderful and one of the sharks (can't remember his name) impressed with their "balls" made them an offer. From where I sat  the offer seemed more than generous. The guys refused. I found it unbelievable. 

All the while I am there thinking, if I could get their attention, I would have them invest in  my business for 90% just to keep my dream alive. Maybe not 90 but a big chunk. They need to bring some Sharks to the Caribbean.

Edited by Silverfox, 01 February 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#59 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

You know you might have a good idea here.  Maybe the show should consider doing some international episodes where the Sharks do go to different countries.  When you stop to think about it there are inventors and those starting businesses in these countries as well, who could have some great products.  Well, they should do this are consider a spin off where called Shark Tank International, with different Sharks who do this program.  Hey, wouldn't be the first time ABC has done this remember Extreme Makeover it later went into Extreme Makeover Home Edition that lasted longer then the program it spun off from.

#60 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

I wouldn't worry about missing this show as the network often shows reruns on other nights. As far as reality shows go, Shark Tank is definitely one of the most interesting. It's a little weird that entrepreneurs and inventors would go before a panel of investors on a reality show to get their business funding, but I guess that's the world we now live in. At least it's good exposure for the business folks.