• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Yes, it is good exposure.  That's why when you see some of the individuals who go in there with an idea and don't get a deal don't leave to upset.  Becasue they know that just being a TV will help their product to sell.  We have seen this with some of the updates on certain products. A few of the individuals who have been featured in this installment didn't get a deal but saw their product take off none the less.

I will admit that we no use eco nuts remember that prdouct it was the nuts that are used as laundry soap.  This product didn't get a deal, but guess what its a great product and the sells for it have gone up since the appearance on Shark Tank.

#62 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

The exposure has to be huge. I have wondered if some other millionaire won't be happy to grab a few who've been turned away. Similar to the singing competitions where a person doesn't win or might not even advance and then someone comes along and signs them and they end up doing better than the person who has won. 

Just getting on the show must be a big deal. I still get sad for some who leave rejected and dejected. I also admire those who seem quite fine with their rejection.

#63 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

Yes, getting on reality shows can be a boast to a person.  As you pointed out even these talent competitions can lead to fame even if a person doesn't win.  Perhaps one of the biggest sucesses on American Idol has been Jennifer Hudson, and if I remember correctly she didn't even finish in the top ten on the show.

As for Shark Tank remember that wine in an individual glass that the Sharks weren't sure was a great idea at the time.  The creator of it now has a multi million dollar company.  I have actually seen this item in a convenience store, so apparently he knew what he was taliking about and the Sharks kind of kick themselves for not getting on the band wagon on that one as I discovered from their special show where they discussed the ideas that were successful that they invested in and those that weren't.  Along with the ideas they passed on that were successes and discussed this one.

#64 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

I am not sure if you are talking about the portable wine in a glass. If you are it's Zipz Wine which is supposed to be largest deal ever struck on the show. I watched that particular deal and it is Kevin O'leary, Mr. Wonderful who was left to make the big decision. All the others opted out. There is no question it's a great platform deal or no deal. 

#65 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

Yes, it is good exposure.  That's why when you see some of the individuals who go in there with an idea and don't get a deal don't leave to upset.  Becasue they know that just being a TV will help their product to sell.  We have seen this with some of the updates on certain products. A few of the individuals who have been featured in this installment didn't get a deal but saw their product take off none the less.

I will admit that we no use eco nuts remember that prdouct it was the nuts that are used as laundry soap.  This product didn't get a deal, but guess what its a great product and the sells for it have gone up since the appearance on Shark Tank.

I think some people would just go on there with no intention of making a deal at all, they just want the exposure, especially now the ABC has scrapped the 2% royalty thing just for being on the show.

#66 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Sammien, you could be so right about that. I have seen some reject some offers that I would jump at. Maybe they are just setting themselves up for something bigger and better. I did not know ABC had a royalty clause in place before. Interesting.

#67 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

Oh I know for a fact that some go on there just for explosure.  After all ever heard some of the deals that they want, the low percentage they are giving the sharks as a stake in their company.  This is usually a dead give away that the people are only there to advertise.  Even when they some how manage to get a deal, not what they came in wanting though they think of a way to back out.  Yes, they are just advertising it becomes pretty apparent.

No doubt it was probably also apparent to ABC.  Which is probably why they placed that 2% clause into the contract to come onto the show.  I was kind of surprsed in the last show that the man who was there to get a deal for those seats that go in the back of truck didn't get a deal. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he was just the marketer and not the actual inventor of the product.

#68 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Sammien, you could be so right about that. I have seen some reject some offers that I would jump at. Maybe they are just setting themselves up for something bigger and better. I did not know ABC had a royalty clause in place before. Interesting.

Yeah, they had it for everyone who made it onto the show (regardless of whether or not they get a deal) up until this season I think. Mark Cuban apparently said that it keeps entrepreneurs from applying and he gave ABC an ultimatum.

I remember there was this one guy a couple of seasons ago, where he had offers that were 3 times more than what he originally asked for, and he STILL turned them down. Mark called him out big time about not wanting a deal at all, if I remember correctly. 

#69 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

YES!!  He said the guy wanted exposure and that was it.  He was so angry. Let me tell you I love MArk Cuban.  I mean my favorite Shark is Robert, but Mark? I've seen him angry, annoyed, yet I've seen his soft side.  This guy is just so straight with everything and he really doesn't seem to care if people get upset with him.  There was once this SAHM who had set up a business and he simply said she wasn't able to put in the time as someone who didn't have kids and she got so annoyed saying he thought she couldnt do it because she was a mom and he was upset because it's not what he said.  I'm a SAHM and I definitely understood what he meant and he's right.  But she was upset and he just didn't even want to keep dealing with her.  LOL

#70 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:22 AM

Yeah I really like Mark as well. He's just a typical American guy, and aside from the whole debacle with regarding his tweets about net neutrality, he seems like a stand up guy. If you watch him, often he'll just lay low and let all the other sharks fight it out first, THEN he jumps in with his thoughts.

#71 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Oh yes. Lori is like that too sometimes. They're just two Sharks laying in wait. LOLOL

Im a couple of episodes behind. Thinking of watching them tomorrow. I need to see what other crazy business ventures come up. One of the strangest businesses I saw was elephant in the room. I mean...it was a plush elephant. LOL. IN A BOX. Lololol. I have a couple of those elephants Ive gotten from claw machines. Lolol

#72 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

I know I never forgot the Elephant in the Room either.  My feeling on it was you have got to be kidding, and apparently the Sharks agreed with me.  Why does anyone need to buy such a thing from this couple when we can easily get a stuff elephant ourselves stick it in a room to let it be known there is a problem. Of course they didn't get a deal, and somehow I don't think the product too off.

I have heard that ABC is creating another show on Shark Tank called Beyond the Tank.  I guess this show is going to show more of the individuals who made deals or not and what their products have done since then.  Which I think is a great idea because I always like seeing those little clips during the show when they give us updates on products.

#73 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

I am in the retail clothing business, and since it's quite difficult right now with an ailing economy, I am sitting there watching and thinking, I could do with a Shark right now. Any fish to save my business. I sometimes sit and wonder how I would be able to present my case and my subsequent 'fight" with Mr. Wonderful. I'll never forget when he called this guy a pig. 

I don't watch consistently, but when I do I am glued.

#74 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Apparently they are going to do a sort of spin off of the show called Beyond the Tank.  This will deal with individuals who got deals from the Sharks.  From what I have seen in previews it goes into the sucesses along with those who are struggling.  I think this could be an interesting show to watch as well.  I always like to see the updates during Shark Tank so this will be like an extended version of that.

#75 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

Apparently they are going to do a sort of spin off of the show called Beyond the Tank.  This will deal with individuals who got deals from the Sharks.  From what I have seen in previews it goes into the sucesses along with those who are struggling.  I think this could be an interesting show to watch as well.  I always like to see the updates during Shark Tank so this will be like an extended version of that.

My mother loves Shark Tank. She will be excited to hear about this spin off. She always wonders what happens to the people, so seeing lots of updates will be nice.

Isn't it true that they charge everyone who appears on the show a percentage of their future earnings whether or not they get a deal?