• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Before anyone shoots me, what I mean by Adult Cartoons, I mean ones typically that have an adult theme, not a child one. Those typically that fall in this category are: South Park, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show and in many cases The Simpson's.

South Park revolves around a group of 4th graders in a public school in Colorado; Bob's Burgers is an adult cartoon involving Bob and his family who runs a burger joint; Family Guy is about the Griffin family which has the ever popular maniacal baby Stewie who plots for world domination and his parents: Peter and Lois along with their other two kids Meg and Chris have no clue; American Dad is an adult cartoon involving the Smith family with dad Stan who works for the CIA, his wife Francine who is a ditsy housewife, their Earth conscious daughter Hayley; their boob crazed son Steve; man in a fish body Klaus and of course Roger, the alien.

The Cleveland Show is a spin off from Family Guy starring Cleveland Brown a cable installer who moves back to Stoolbend VA to marry his now single childhood sweetheart Donna, a single mom of 2; a high school daughter and a small toddler. Everyone knows The Simpsons: Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart and of course Maggie Simpson.

#2 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

My favorites are those I've mentioned. Actually I watch the entire line up on Sunday evenings and there's another that appears occasionally: Napoleon Dynamite a cartoon version of the movies but not really interested in some of the other "add on" adult theme cartoons because the station almost always drops one I looked forward to watching all week. Which if any are your favorites and why?

#3 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have always watched The Simpson's even when they first starred on The Tracey Ullman Show as short cartoons and while they're crudely drawn they were funny. I am glad to see they've improved over their 20 some odd year run though the Simpson kids would be in their 20's now, Bart would be 30 if not on it's doorstep. If they would add years to the kids in the series they could go another 20 years and not run out of material.

#4 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I hope they don't do that. Simpsions was amazing in its prime (Season 9-10) but the last few years it has gotten really long in the tooth. It is obvious they are having serious trouble staying fresh and interesting. As much as I love the show, I hope they put it out of its misery soon.

#5 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I think that's going to be hard for die hard fans of that show. The Simpsons are part of our culture now especially in US. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't watched at least one episode in the 20 or so years that the show's been on TV. It will be for some like coming off a narcotic, yeah it's going to smart for awhile until something else comes along replacing it. Just really hasn't happened lately or holds a candle to the attraction this show has to people watching it.

#6 beastsbeauty

beastsbeauty

Cordial

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

A while back I began watching the Simpson's from the beginning. Their first few episodes are so different compared to their episodes now. The drawing is horrible, the voices are much younger sounding, and the voice actors hadn't quite found the character yet. It was interesting going back.

#7 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

My husband really likes the show Archer, which has the same voice talent as the guy in Bob's Burgers. I've never sat down to watch a full episode of it, but I have overheard it and it sounds funny and raunchy.

#8 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

We all love The Simpsons and South Park ROCKS big time. These are some of my favorite cartoons - I mean, its great that we, as adults can watch and enjoy cartoons too - thanks to the 'adult' tag given to these. To be honest, I adore the good ol kiddie cartoons like Dexter/ Jonny Bravo / Tom & Jerry and the likes too.. but it just seems so much mature to watch South park instead. lol

#9 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

South Park, King of the Hill, American Dad, & Family Guy are some of my very favorite shows! We tried to watch Bob's Burgers on Netflix the other night, but I didn't really get in to that one too much.

#10 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

This is very interesting about Bob's Burgers. Out of the original cast there's only 1 girl character voice that's female (the youngest daughter with the funny rabbit ears hat), the rest are male voices even for the females. I wasn't too surprised about the two males (dad and brother) but the oldest girl and the mom, yeah, was a bit surprised.

#11 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Of those you listed, I like American Dad and South Park. But, I like a lot of stuff that comes on Adult Swim. Aqua Teen Hunger Force, for example. Space Ghost Coast to Coast, The Brak Show, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, The Oblongs, Sealab 2021... The list just goes on and on.

#12 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

I was with you when you listed American Dad and South Park; lost you with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast; The Brak Show; Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law; The Oblongs/ Sealub 2021 are not familiar to me.

#13 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

I love watching Family Guy. For some reason Peter makes me laugh, and I find Stewie to be so cute. And Brian seems odd to me but I love him anyway. Often times I have the voice of the little old guy in my head that likes Chris.

#14 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

OMG!!!! Kudos to the poster who mentioned Aqua Teen and the rest of the Adult Swim line up!!! I love The Venture Brothers is also one of my faves. It also solidified for me the belief that Patrick Warburton is best suited for cartoon voices. The same for H. John Benjamin, the dad in Bob's Burgers, and the Archer...which I LOVE by the way!! If I could have any man, there would be two, Sam Worthington and Archer, the cartoon, not the man behind it. But the character of Archer is the epitome of Billy Bad Ass and there is just so much about the charachter that I love, which is odd because he is a disgusting womanizer, but he's hilarious and I've seen sides of him that redeem all the poon houndery....somewhat.

I used to be really into Family Guy, but it's so overdone that I'm tired of seeing it. It's on so many different stations at so many different times that you can hardly change the channel without seeing it. Space Ghost is epic....and I don't think anything that I could possibly say about it would make a difference, it holds its own without me.

#15 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm a huge Simpsons and Family Guy fan, and American Dad usually entertains me too. The Cleveland Show, Bob's Burgers, and Napoleon Dynamite are terrible, in my opinion. I just don't get them.

I haven't watched Adult Swim in years but I loved Harvey Birdman when I was in college.

#16 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'm a huge Simpsons and Family Guy fan, and American Dad usually entertains me too. The Cleveland Show, Bob's Burgers, and Napoleon Dynamite are terrible, in my opinion. I just don't get them.

I haven't watched Adult Swim in years but I loved Harvey Birdman when I was in college.

Same here, I totally don't get Cleveland Show, I mean what is it all about? The jokes are weird and only Rallo makes me laugh from time to time. It kind of reminds me the Family Guy but way less entertaining. It took a lot of time for 'American Dad' to get to my but eventually I did pick it up and it is kinda funny. Nonetheless, South Park is the best adult cartoon of them all.

#17 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Same here, I totally don't get Cleveland Show, I mean what is it all about? The jokes are weird and only Rallo makes me laugh from time to time. It kind of reminds me the Family Guy but way less entertaining. It took a lot of time for 'American Dad' to get to my but eventually I did pick it up and it is kinda funny. Nonetheless, South Park is the best adult cartoon of them all.

As far as I can tell, the Cleveland show is a spinoff of Family Guy with Cleveland Brown, a cable installer that leaves Quahog, RI and moves to Stoolbend, VA in pursuit of his childhood love who has 2 children from a previous relationship. The story plot is a yawn fest but, the show does have it's moments.

#18 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't tend to watch a lot of the adult themed cartoons or cartoons in general really. If I do catch one it is usually Family Guy (I mean who can resist Stewie?) or Archer. Archer is pretty raunchy and vulgar though since it is on a cable channel and not network television.

#19 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

I don't tend to watch a lot of the adult themed cartoons or cartoons in general really. If I do catch one it is usually Family Guy (I mean who can resist Stewie?) or Archer. Archer is pretty raunchy and vulgar though since it is on a cable channel and not network television.

I remember an episode on Family Guy where Stewie went after Brian for his money after Brian blew a bet on a boxing match between Channing and a well known boxer. When Brian didn't have the money, Stewie went postal on him to get it. It was the first time I'd seen Stewie in that position to do some actual harm. Until then it was all voice and no action.

#20 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

I have watched a few of them here and there but the only thing that comes to mind right now is an anime, Cowboy Beebop. Favorite character is Ed, lets just say I relate with the whipper snapper. :)