• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#201 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

I thought Regular Show was for kids? It's not on the Adult Swim line up now, is it? (Then again, it's been a LONG time since I sat down and watched Adult Swim. I miss my Boondocks. :(  (Huey was my favorite, while Riley was just an annoying little brat. Amazing how both brothers represent for something they believe in, albeit it extreme ploar opposites!) 

#202 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

I don't watch to many of the prime time comics anymore, I used to love that on Sundays but Walking Dead changed all that for me. I have found a new source of adult (?) comics in Anime. I am slowly going through some of the series in Funimation and have found a few that I really like. I always like the Big O and Beebop Cowboy when they were on, got to see quite a bit of Deathnote.  I think the problem with some of the primetime stuff like Family Guy and American Dad is after awhile it just was not that funny. Although I will give credit where credit is due, The Simpsons can be quite hysterical at times. I love Grandpa Simpson the most.   Never liked Bob Burgers or Cleveland, they both are a big reason why I no longer watch animation domination.

#203 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

I thought Regular Show was for kids? It's not on the Adult Swim line up now, is it? (Then again, it's been a LONG time since I sat down and watched Adult Swim. I miss my Boondocks. :(  (Huey was my favorite, while Riley was just an annoying little brat. Amazing how both brothers represent for something they believe in, albeit it extreme ploar opposites!) 

Regular Show is for kids but has a quirky hipster humor that appeals to adults. They manage to sneak in some dirty jokes and 1980's references for the grown ups.

#204 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Regular Show (as well as Adventure Time) have a kids' show front, but are also geared to adults. If you read about it, this is intentional, to get a wider viewing audience. There are insinuations of sex, drinking, anatomy jokes, and cursing. Most of this stuff would go over the heads of kids, but the adults get it. It really is a smart marketing strategy. If you can find it, you should watch the shorts that the creator of Regular Show made in college. It is Mortecai and Benson, and their respective voices, but they don't work at the park, they are doing a skit similar to Clerks. Hearing these characters say the F-word blew my mind.

#205 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Yes, there are those cartoons that seem to be geared at children but adults like them as well.  Loony Toons is probably one of the earliest examples of this.  There is also SpongeBob Squarepants which was definitley designed for kids but adults including myself like to watch it.  Then there is The Regular Show and Adventure time on Cartoon Network, which I know have universal appeal as well, although to be honest I'm not  a fan of either one. 

As for adult cartoons anyone remember something called Total Drama Island, which went on to have other seasons such as Total Drama World Tour.  It also aired on Cartoon Network and was sort of a parody of a reality show.  On it teenage kids with different personalities and characteristics cometed for a large amount of money.  The odd thing was no one ever really won the prize in the end, it always seem like something happened that prevented it from happening.  The host of this so called reality competition was obnoxious and a real jerk.  Yes, I admit I was a fan of this show for the first three seasons when it was the original cast of characters.  Then the production got the idea to change the characters and I kind of lost interest in the fourth season, and I guess I wasn't alone since to my knowledge this was the last season of the show.

#206 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

I don't watch to many of the prime time comics anymore, I used to love that on Sundays but Walking Dead changed all that for me. I have found a new source of adult (?) comics in Anime. I am slowly going through some of the series in Funimation and have found a few that I really like. I always like the Big O and Beebop Cowboy when they were on, got to see quite a bit of Deathnote.  I think the problem with some of the primetime stuff like Family Guy and American Dad is after awhile it just was not that funny. Although I will give credit where credit is due, The Simpsons can be quite hysterical at times. I love Grandpa Simpson the most.   Never liked Bob Burgers or Cleveland, they both are a big reason why I no longer watch animation domination.

No longer watching American dad and family guy, but my SO thinks family guy is so funny, lol. As for me, I also prefer anime, I love it! Honestly can't wait for Attack on Titan to be back! Now that anime has a really adult theme!  I know that if I was younger and watched it, I'd surely have nightmares! Can't wait to see if things turn out as in the manga. Still watching the Simpsons from time to time :D Missing so badly Daria and Ugly Americans.  Ah well, just missing all from Adult Swim.