• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#41 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I use to love watching the Simpsons and Family Guy. Simpsons lost the edge long ago. And Family Guy is starting to lose their edge as well. I think the problem is that after awhile, the creators are desperate for ideas to keep the shows running.

#42 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Also you have to remember there aren't an influx of new characters in either show. The turnover rate is very low.

#43 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Also you have to remember there aren't an influx of new characters in either show. The turnover rate is very low.

Ah yes, very true. In fact, with Family Guy, the only real changes in cast seem to be that they took out Cleveland and gave him his own show! They occasionally have a new character that comes along and plays along side Stewie or something, but they don't last as permanent cast members.

#44 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

"The Simpsons" used to have new characters way back in the shows best days (the late 90's). But as the show went on, we saw fewer and fewer appearances by those characters. Characters like Itchy and Scratchy and Reverend Love Joy.

#45 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

"The Simpsons" used to have new characters way back in the shows best days (the late 90's). But as the show went on, we saw fewer and fewer appearances by those characters. Characters like Itchy and Scratchy and Reverend Love Joy.

Not to mention a good portion of the characters were killed off. Like Bleeding Gums Murphy (Lisa's saxaphone playing friend) and Ned Flander's wife Maude.

#46 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yep. Krusty the Clown doesn't even show up much anymore. And of course Sideshow Bob.

#47 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Yep. Krusty the Clown doesn't even show up much anymore. And of course Sideshow Bob.

You know, this got me thinking. Simpson's downfall may not actually be with it getting old or being out of ideas. It may very well be the fact that they've killed, written out, or forgotten too many characters that helped make the Simpsons world whole.

#48 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

You know, this got me thinking. Simpson's downfall may not actually be with it getting old or being out of ideas. It may very well be the fact that they've killed, written out, or forgotten too many characters that helped make the Simpsons world whole.

Hmm. That's actually an interesting theory. They really have removed a lot of the characters, huh? I guess you would expect that because after a while, you've gotta mix things up. They haven't seemed to bring in enough new characters that would actually bring the show to life and keep it going, though.

#49 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hmm. That's actually an interesting theory. They really have removed a lot of the characters, huh? I guess you would expect that because after a while, you've gotta mix things up. They haven't seemed to bring in enough new characters that would actually bring the show to life and keep it going, though.

It's not only that many of the characters are gone. It's that many of the characters we were used to seeing every episode back in the day are gone. Krusty, Sideshow Bob, Itchy & Scratchy, Bart's daily jokes on Moe, etc.

These are some things that were traditionally staples to the show that are now gone.

#50 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Well the voices for those characters are actors who have to get paid. So if they're slashing salaries or trying to not have the show-makers be overpaid, then cutting out characters is usually what they do.

#51 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Well the voices for those characters are actors who have to get paid. So if they're slashing salaries or trying to not have the show-makers be overpaid, then cutting out characters is usually what they do.

I call that the media version of castrating one's self.

#52 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yeah but the big wigs need their bonuses so you know how that game goes.

#53 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yeah but the big wigs need their bonuses so you know how that game goes.

Times like this make me wish television made use of Kickstarter/ crowdfunding the way video games and toy makers do. I know those have their own share of problems. But at least you wouldn't have to worry about people losing their jobs, therby cutting show quality all for the sake of keeping some executives pockets fat.

#54 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hollywood was built on greed really so that'll never happen. Studios go under all the time. But as long as the execs walk away with fat pockets, they don't care really.

#55 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I know....but I can still wish right? :)

At the very least, I hope we get to an age and time where people start using internet video streams to host their own shows on a normal basis WITH kickstarter. That way, executives wouldn't be able to so easily abuse their power.

#56 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I haven't watched much of The Cleveland Show, but I have caught a few episodes. I think it's pretty funny and I always loved Cleveland in Family Guy, but it's definitely not as good as the show it came from.

If any of you haven't seen Adult Swim, it's basically a block of shows that air later in the evening on Cartoon Network. It starts at 9 p.m. and goes on til the wee hours of the morning, but the most popular shows air first. Venture Brothers is freaking hilarious and I've caught a few episodes recently but I tend to tire out early now that the kids are back in school and I have to wake up at 6 am.

#57 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I haven't watched much of The Cleveland Show, but I have caught a few episodes. I think it's pretty funny and I always loved Cleveland in Family Guy, but it's definitely not as good as the show it came from.

If any of you haven't seen Adult Swim, it's basically a block of shows that air later in the evening on Cartoon Network. It starts at 9 p.m. and goes on til the wee hours of the morning, but the most popular shows air first. Venture Brothers is freaking hilarious and I've caught a few episodes recently but I tend to tire out early now that the kids are back in school and I have to wake up at 6 am.

Unfortunately, neither the Clevland show nor American Dad can really be as good as Family Guy. Reason being the ideas are stretched very thin now. And Family Guy is the one that gets all their best comedy material. Clevland show gets some too.

But American Dad seems to be just put out to die so to speak.

#58 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think eventually to boost ratings, we'll see "Family Guy" characters crossing over to "Cleveland" and "American Dad". That usually works. For awhile anyways.

#59 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I think eventually to boost ratings, we'll see "Family Guy" characters crossing over to "Cleveland" and "American Dad". That usually works. For awhile anyways.

The Clevland Show doesn't need that very much. But if they were going to do that for American Dad, they should have done it long ago. That show is beyond saving at this point.

#60 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well ultimately FOX will decide that. They seem to be more lenient though with cartoon shows than they do shows with real people. They'll cut loose a non-cartoon show with bad ratings in a heartbeat.