• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

I was watching an episode of What Would You Do on Youtube, and this was an actual scenario. They apparently got the idea from this show? - A teenage girl getting pregnant just so that she can appear on television, namely Sixteen and Pregnant/ Teen Mom? What is the world coming to?

#122 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

I was watching an episode of What Would You Do on Youtube, and this was an actual scenario. They apparently got the idea from this show? - A teenage girl getting pregnant just so that she can appear on television, namely Sixteen and Pregnant/ Teen Mom? What is the world coming to?

I was just a teen when this started, I liked to watch the TV show back then, I still watchi t, but not as much, mainly because I don't like how they are idiolizing teen pregnancy.  I mean, look at Farrah Abraham!  I bet a lot girls would like to do the same in order to launch a career in the show biz!  Or just apear on TV and make some cash. 

I honestly don't think this TV show portray the rea hardships of being a teen mom, specially because the financial help those girls recieve from MTV during the show (or so I heard, I guess they pay them by episode). Not realistic at all and gives the teenage girls a bad example, as well as a not very realistic portrait of  how difficult it can be to be 16 and pregnant (for most girls I knew back in highschool it was).

#123 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

They actually have seen a drop in teen pregnancy since these shows have been on:

http://healthland.ti...en-birth-rates/

Personally, I think this show is trying to convey the right message, but kids don't see that message.  In my opinion, teenagers are seeing this show as a way of glorifying teenage pregnancy and it's making them think it's okay.  If the show were to focus more heavily on the negative, perhaps we'd see a decrease in teenage pregnancy.

Well, to be fair, it is "okay." There's nothing wrong with someone having a baby early in life if they choose to. I realize most of these girls didn't choose this path on purpose. but it's not some end all, life ruining thing. I know multiple women who had children in their teens who now have careers, happy kids, a good life, etc. It makes life more difficult but it's not necessarily a horrible thing.

I'm not sure. When I used to work for a website where I answered questions and gave homework help, teens would ask me how to poke a hole in a condom and where to sign up for 16 and Pregnant. Those girls on those shows are making TV star salaries just for getting pregnant, and that seems attractive to some teens who are flipping burgers for minimum wage.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 27 August 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#124 LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

I enjoy watching both shows. I mainly watch Teen Mom more though. My husband gets mad at me every time the show comes on. I cannot help it, I am addicted to watching Teen Mom. I also live the reunions. 

#125 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

I enjoy watching both shows. I mainly watch Teen Mom more though. My husband gets mad at me every time the show comes on. I cannot help it, I am addicted to watching Teen Mom. I also live the reunions. 

Hahaha!  Same here. My SO hates I watch that kind of things, but what upsets him the most is when I watch Jersey Shore and the such!  He doesn't believe those shows are legit, but I do believe Teen mom is, it doesn't set a good example at all to the youn girls out there, but for me it's a really entertaining thing to watch.

#126 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Haha NickJ! Very true! I feel so sorry for Farrah's daughter Sophia. She is going to need some serious therapy bills. Farrah's adult video about backdoor business. Poor little Sophia. Her dad died and she never got a chance to meet him and her mom is just being a total loose woman.

#127 PennySafe

PennySafe

Shy

• 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

I wonder if they are going to come back with the Teen Mom 2 girls one last time.  I feel like now they can move on with their lives and fade into the sunset.  But I think that Teen Mom was good for American tv--16 and pregnant, especially.  I think it really does show how hard it is to deal with children when you are a teenager.  Im an adult and sometimes watching makes me question if I want babies, myself.

By the way, one of my favorite 'non-teen mom' is Kailyn's husband, Javi.  I like him for her!   He is very sweet and I love how it's important to him that he is involved with everything his wife is going through.  I also like how his family takes her on as a part of their family.