• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

That's very sweet. I haven't written poetry in years but I used to find it a really good way to journal my feelings.

#2 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

For me poetry is my way of expressing feeling, ideas, and any particular subject. Reading some of it makes me feels relaxed. Some poets use their poems to convey their messages and opinions. It can be bold or with hidden meaning, and for centuries it had tackled a lot of mysteries on our past. Poetry is an enjoyable thing to write and to read, do you think the same way?
Let me share one of my stuffs:

My Little Joys

My little joys
My love for them is huge
Their space in my heart
Carries no bounds
Their little laughter’s,
Their little smiles
Make me feel really fine
When the sun sets
They are my stars
Makes me go on living
And makes my pains gone
Oh’ to my little joys
A prayer was said
Your future may be safe
You may grow good
Far from pain
Full of strength
That’s all I wish
And true love
For you to keep.

#3 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Aw, it is a lovely poem, thank you for sharing it with us.

Is it about your children?

#4 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yes Arya, it's about my children.

You might want to try writing poems again Jenners, it can help to nourish our thoughts.

Every time I feel to accommodated, and my mind seems blocked, I diverts myself to poetry and let go my emotions to help me clear my mind.

Thanks for appreciating it!

#5 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm much more into prose than poetry. I took a poetry creative writing seminar my senior year in college, and I did begin to appreciate (and understand) it more then, but I still don't really read or write it for pleasure. Your poem is very sweet, though.

#6 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

First off, great poem. You should be proud of your accomplishment.
I too love to write poetry. I do not share mine though. I have let my husband read some of mine but that is as far as I have really taken it. I did have a poem published once and it felt really good.

#7 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I too love to write poetry. I do not share mine though. I have let my husband read some of mine but that is as far as I have really taken it. I did have a poem published once and it felt really good.

I concur, great poem kristiane!

Congratulations angie828. It must have felt really good!

#8 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

I concur, great poem kristiane!

Congratulations angie828. It must have felt really good!
It did feel really good. Much thanks. I was very proud of it. I even won an award for it and have the award framed in my computer room with my husbands awards that he has won.

#9 seascaping

seascaping

Friendly

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I am also a big fan of poetry. First thing I ever wrote was poetry -- I love to read it too. Here's one of my faves: (By charles bukowski)

what can we do?

at their best, there is gentleness in Humanity.
some understanding and, at times, acts of
courage
but all in all it is a mass, a glob that doesn't
have too much.
it is like a large animal deep in sleep and
almost nothing can awaken it.
when activated it's best at brutality,
selfishness, unjust judgments, murder.

what can we do with it, this Humanity?

nothing.

avoid the thing as much as possible.
treat it as you would anything poisonous, vicious
and mindless.
but be careful. it has enacted laws to protect
itself from you.
it can kill you without cause.
and to escape it you must be subtle.
few escape.

it's up to you to figure a plan.

I have met nobody who has escaped.

I have met some of the great and
famous but they have not escaped
for they are only great and famous within
Humanity.

I have not escaped
but I have not failed in trying again and
again.

before my death I hope to obtain my
life.

from blank gun silencer - 1994 By charles bukowski

---
I just love this poem. I was stunned to silence when I read it years ago.

#10 TheMuse

TheMuse

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I love poetry. It is truly an art and a beautiful medium of expression. I appreciated poetry more when I enrolled in a literary theory and criticism course. That class made me understand what it takes to weave a literary work such as a poem. I love the poems of Pablo Neruda, Kahlil Gibran, Maya Angelou, and Robert Frost.

#11 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

I used to love poetry, but have left it a bit by the wayside in the past few years. I should really do something about that.

Some of my favorites were Dorothy Parker, Emily Dickinson, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and most of the Romantics.

#12 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

How did I not see this thread before? I love poetry too. I have always thought of myself as a pretty deep and insightful person, and I am someone who loves to hear or see how other people express their insights. Poetry is one of those avenues for that. I really love the poem 'Half Cast.'

We had a Caribbean teacher actually come into our English class and read it is Patois to us. It hit us all with much more impact for it. I used to write a bit when I was a teenager too.

#13 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

How did I not see this thread before? I love poetry too. I have always thought of myself as a pretty deep and insightful person, and I am someone who loves to hear or see how other people express their insights. Poetry is one of those avenues for that. I really love the poem 'Half Cast.'

We had a Caribbean teacher actually come into our English class and read it is Patois to us. It hit us all with much more impact for it. I used to write a bit when I was a teenager too.

That's really cool. It gets forgotten nowadays that a lot of poetry is meant to be spoke, not read. Cadences, accents, and rhythm are so important. I was always a bit more of a classicist and a bit meh about "modern" poetry (in scare quotes because really I mostly mean mid-century) until I started paying attention to slam poetry. 

Which happened mostly by accident after I went to an event where Taylor Mali read "What Teacher's Make" (Youtube link) and I realized that passionate poetry was still alive and kicking. 

Edited by westmost, 28 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#14 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Great work by both kristiane and seascaping. I like poetry a decent amount but never tried to write anything myself. Just never had the motivation like I sometime get when writing prose. Still, I can appreciate when someone has done a good job.

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

That's really cool. It gets forgotten nowadays that a lot of poetry is meant to be spoke, not read. Cadences, accents, and rhythm are so important. I was always a bit more of a classicist and a bit meh about "modern" poetry (in scare quotes because really I mostly mean mid-century) until I started paying attention to slam poetry. 

Which happened mostly by accident after I went to an event where Taylor Mali read "What Teacher's Make" (Youtube link) and I realized that passionate poetry was still alive and kicking. 

I completely agree. Students in other classes had white teachers read the poem to them, and those teachers read the poem in a white accent or just devoid of any Caribbean influence at all, and I would have been pretty annoyed if I had gotten that lol. I would have felt like I had been robbed or something. The poem certainly would have lacked impact.

#16 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

I completely agree. Students in other classes had white teachers read the poem to them, and those teachers read the poem in a white accent or just devoid of any Caribbean influence at all, and I would have been pretty annoyed if I had gotten that lol. I would have felt like I had been robbed or something. The poem certainly would have lacked impact.

That reminds me of the link that is floating around with a Shakespeare sonnet read in what would have been an Elizabethan accent (sounds kind of like modern Irish), which suddenly makes a lot of the rhymes work better without having to force them! Language is a tricky thing :D

#17 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

That reminds me of the link that is floating around with a Shakespeare sonnet read in what would have been an Elizabethan accent (sounds kind of like modern Irish), which suddenly makes a lot of the rhymes work better without having to force them! Language is a tricky thing :D

Lol! It may be a tricky thing but it is so beautiful. I love language and I always have,  I have always done well with languages also, in school I mean. I would get the best marks in English, French, and eventually they sent me to do Spanish in the higher level classes. I thoroughly enjoyed all three subjects ;)

#18 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Lol! It may be a tricky thing but it is so beautiful. I love language and I always have,  I have always done well with languages also, in school I mean. I would get the best marks in English, French, and eventually they sent me to do Spanish in the higher level classes. I thoroughly enjoyed all three subjects ;)

Oh, I agree. But part of the beauty is its diversity and evolution, trying to constrain language into boxes of proper usage never does anyone any good. Language is alive, and living things are complex :D

#19 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

I agree with your above statement. The evolution and diversity is one of the most beautiful things about language. The fact that one thing could mean two different things if you add time to it or distance. Pretty spectacular.

#20 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I don't read much poetry but I do absolutely adore Richard Siken's work. It's a shame he hasn't written anything since Crush because it's my one of my favourite books.