• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Anyone catch this one on FOX? It's an adaption of an Australian show about a guy who thinks the neighbor's dog is talking to him; more specifically, he hallucinates and befriends a man in a giant dog costume. I like it for it's off-color humor, and the absurdity of pretending the man in the dog costume is real.

#2 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I saw one episode and sort of got the humor, but knew I wasn't going to be watching it all the time. My husband was far more amused by it than me. That said, it's good to see Elijah Wood in something again. I've always liked him (even though he reminds me so much of Daniel Radcliffe it's scary!)

#3 Gimgak

Gimgak

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting season 2, I knew it was a remake so I didn't have high hopes going into it but turned out to be one of my favorite new shows last year.

#4 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I can't get this show because it's on a cable channel called F/X which you have to order extra here, but I did see the first episode and just knew I would like it. I like anything that does crazy things with dogs.

Apparently it's a hit. Maybe pet owners who have been dying to know what their dogs think are finally getting a chance to find out.

#5 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

This show is just a little too absurd for me. I might like it but I haven't had a chance to even think about catching an episode. I do think that Elijah Wood is a fantastic actor though.

#6 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I caught the special preview episode of Season 2 and was sorely disappointed. It had little of the crude humor that made the first season of Wilfred so funny. Hopefully it was just a fluke and the coming episodes get better!

#7 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I don't get where the special preview episode falls in. It didn't make sense to play a random episode from the season...I couldn't enjoy it because I had no idea what was going on and it made me kind of lose it during the season because all I could think about was this random plot line and how it evolves.

I think they may have done better by showing the first episode of the season as the preview episode so it would set up all the craziness that occurs during the season. I still enjoy the show but I can't stop thinking about the episode and it has me analyzing everything way too much.

#8 Fr1zzank

Fr1zzank

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

I had never heard of Wilfred til after the first season was already finished, but I'm glad I caught onto it when I did. Seriously great stuff this is! Both seasons! Jason Gann is simply hysterical as Wilfred. Mind you, not in the highbrow, eloquent, Frasier-esque sense, but more in a down and dirty, crude and vulgar sense. But what could really be expected from a dog? Of course he's going to hump some legs, eat some roadkill, and have an interest in fecal matter: what dog wouldn't?!

Having Elijah Wood play as the main character (Ryan) and best friend to Wilfred was an unexpected, but nice choice. He does a really bang up job of being the patsy to Wilfred's antics while also being an endearing character himself with some real issues and depth.

Wilfred is really a very funny show, and one I hope gets the credit and recognition it deserves. More people should know about Wildred!

#9 pilot2fly

pilot2fly

Shy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think the show was sort of funny, but I never really got into it. A guy dressed up as a dog? Come on! I just don't get it. Maybe it's just me.

#10 blackout23

blackout23

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Wilfred is entertaining but gets boring quite quickly. The show itself is an awesome concept and I love the crude humor between wilfred and the owner. It does go very slow though and each episode doesn't have enough attention grabbing quotes or story-lines to keep me watching consistently.

#11 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I saw one episode and sort of got the humor, but knew I wasn't going to be watching it all the time. My husband was far more amused by it than me. That said, it's good to see Elijah Wood in something again. I've always liked him (even though he reminds me so much of Daniel Radcliffe it's scary!)

I agree with everything in this post....except replace 'husband' with 'boyfriend' instead. It wasn't bad, but it's really not for me. I'm sure I'll be watching some more of it simply because my partner will want to.

#12 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Wilfred is an ok show. It's good for laughs in short bursts. But I can gurantee you the show won't make it to a fourth season. There is just far too much absurdity in it.

#13 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's one of those things that you'll either love it or hate it. You'll either love it for its twisted humor and mindbending storyline, or hate it because you aren't amused by offensive humor nor understand getting your brain toyed with.

I love it though. I loved the plot twist at the end of the first season as well where for a while you think that Ryan is really just a crazy person who was smoking weed in a closet with a dog the whole time, hallucinating everything. I hated the cliffhanger at the time, but during the second season when they showed that Wilfred was just screwing with him the whole time, it just made you realize how much of a jerk (yet a genius one) Wilfred is, and how hilarious he is.

I even liked the episode where Ryan had to escape from the mental asylum, and it turned out it was all part of a weird hallucination. It messed with your mind and intentionally confused you, but it was well done.

Also, I like how they put in the scene with the mother talking to her cat in the mental asylum that she lived in. That scene alone shows that something runs in the family...whether it's insanity or magical animal people, we never know.

Which brings me to the other reason I love the show, you never know if it's all revolving around mental illness or if it really is some sort of magic animal person fantasy where these things can happen in their world. It's probably a pretty realistic guess to say that Ryan is schizophrenic...first off, schizophrenia is likely to be inherited, and we're told that his eccentric mother is in a mental asylum and on medication but not what for, and we see that his mother has a talking cat friend as well which is a shared theme. Secondly, schizophrenia tends to set in around the 20s-30s, which is Ryan's age group, and it also tends to become worse in times of stress, and Ryan had just lost his job with his father, ruining his relationship with his family and his future employment chances, and was severely depressed. Also, being tired can make it worse, and Ryan wasn't able to sleep when his neighbor's motorcycle was going off loudly. That's the first time that Ryan heard Wilfred's voice, though he didn't see anything. After that, he took a ton of pills in an attempt to commit suicide, which can cause hallucinations. So you start to be convinced that he was just high off the pills when his suicide didn't work, until the hallucinations of Wilfred being a guy in a dog suit never wore off. But narcotics can cause irreversible changes to the wiring of the brain, especially to someone with schizophrenia. People with schizophrenia who take narcotics are much more likely to have their schizophrenia become more severe...such as going from occasionally hearing voices to seeing a man in a dog suit who likes to have conversations with you. Yet we're lulled back into thinking it's a fantasy because everything they do wouldn't be possible if Wilfred was really a dog...but then we start having to question if any of the things they do really happened.

It plays with your brain, that's for sure.

#14 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

I've been on the fence with the show for a while. When i first saw the trailers for it, I thought it looked like the dumbest show in the world and I refused to ever watch it. But since then, it has gotten a ton a good reviews, and even a few of my friends watch it all the time. One day, I might try and give it a shot, the first season is up on Netflix, so there may be no harm in giving the first episode a chance.

#15 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

I watched the first season of Wilfred and liked it well enough. There's something adorable about a man child playing musical instruments with a dog and stuffed animals. But I haven't gotten around to watching any more seasons of the show.

I'm also still confused about why he sees Wilfred. I don't know if he's mentally ill or a drug user.

#16 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Oh wow, I watched the first episode of this when it came out and then managed to forget all about it till I saw this thread.

I thought it was pretty interesting, and liked Elijah Wood a lot in it. Going to have to go back and watch the rest now.

#17 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

I usually really like off the wall shows, like American Horror Story, which is starting pretty soon :) But this one doesn't sound all that entertaining. I loved Elijah Wood in Green Street, and in that Pulp Fiction movie. I like his big expressive eyes. But nevertheless, I don't find the whole talking to animals all that entertaining.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought of Wilfred the cartoon.

#18 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

I usually really like off the wall shows, like American Horror Story, which is starting pretty soon :) But this one doesn't sound all that entertaining. I loved Elijah Wood in Green Street, and in that Pulp Fiction movie.

I forgot about Green Street, that was a great flick! But Pulp Fiction? He wasn't in that as far as I remember.

#19 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

I usually really like off the wall shows, like American Horror Story, which is starting pretty soon :) But this one doesn't sound all that entertaining. I loved Elijah Wood in Green Street, and in that Pulp Fiction movie.

I forgot about Green Street, that was a great flick! But Pulp Fiction? He wasn't in that as far as I remember.

It wasn't Pulp Fiction? There was some kind of Sci-Fi filme that he was in. He was a school student, if my memory serves me correctly, and some sci-fi stuff began to happen to him and his grunge friend. If it isn't called Pulp Fiction, then I have no idea what it is called now. You may know. But yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Green Street. I truly love my football hooligan movies.

#20 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

It wasn't Pulp Fiction? There was some kind of Sci-Fi filme that he was in. He was a school student, if my memory serves me correctly, and some sci-fi stuff began to happen to him and his grunge friend. If it isn't called Pulp Fiction, then I have no idea what it is called now. You may know. But yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Green Street. I truly love my football hooligan movies.

Hah, okay I think I know the movie you mean, was it The Faculty

Pulp Fiction is the Tarantino crime movie with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson XD