Netflix

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#201 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

I do the $8 per month and it's totally worth. Though sometimes I wish Netflix was just like Hulu in terms of allowing newer episodes weekly. I wouldn't mind to way $10 more just for that, you know? But I guess to keep both sites working, they both need to be different.

My father watches Netflix religiously. He's watched nearly every series that they have (because he's retired, and that's what retired people do). And I watch a lot of good series like Charmed, Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, and more. I don't know what I would do without Netflix!

#202 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

I do the $8 per month and it's totally worth. Though sometimes I wish Netflix was just like Hulu in terms of allowing newer episodes weekly. I wouldn't mind to way $10 more just for that, you know? But I guess to keep both sites working, they both need to be different.

I agree.  I love Netflix, but it is kinda a bummer having to wait a full year for a show to come on there.  Ah well, it's probably for the best.  I much prefer binge watching to watching one episode at a time.  I tried Hulu for a bit, but wasn't impressed with their selection.  It was nice being able to watch episodes shortly after they aired, but even though I paid, I still had to sit through ads (not a huge deal, but on top of a weak selection of content, it just wasn't for me).

Netflix allowed me to finally cut my cable, and I couldn't be happier.  Saving so much more money per month, and still have access to tons of great content.

It's funny how people doubted Netflix when it first came out.  I worked part time for blockbuster at the time when Netflix arrived.  Of coruse, by then, there was no digital content and it was all by mail.  I remember hearing how Netflix went to blockbuster first, but blockbuster rejected them and didn't think the netflix model stood a chance.  About 10 years later, and it looks like Blockbuster was dead wrong.  My how things have changed.

#203 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

I agree.  I love Netflix, but it is kinda a bummer having to wait a full year for a show to come on there.  Ah well, it's probably for the best.  I much prefer binge watching to watching one episode at a time.  I tried Hulu for a bit, but wasn't impressed with their selection.  It was nice being able to watch episodes shortly after they aired, but even though I paid, I still had to sit through ads (not a huge deal, but on top of a weak selection of content, it just wasn't for me).

Netflix allowed me to finally cut my cable, and I couldn't be happier.  Saving so much more money per month, and still have access to tons of great content.

It's funny how people doubted Netflix when it first came out.  I worked part time for blockbuster at the time when Netflix arrived.  Of coruse, by then, there was no digital content and it was all by mail.  I remember hearing how Netflix went to blockbuster first, but blockbuster rejected them and didn't think the netflix model stood a chance.  About 10 years later, and it looks like Blockbuster was dead wrong.  My how things have changed.

I remember going to Blockbuster weekly with my family and getting a movie (or a game) and watching it over the weekend. It was the biggest 1990's outlet for families to get their movie's on. And then I remember Red Box and Netflix coming out of nowhere and soon after, Blockbuster started to disappear. Now I understand why. They should have taken the risk rather than no risk at all. I still do miss Blockbuster, though. I do miss the concept of going to the movie store and looking around and finding movies to watch though. But thanks for letting me know what happened from when you worked there! I just thought because everything was getting digital or "lazy" in the technology age, I thought it just out beat them in general, not because they didn't take the risk!

As for canceling cable, YES. Netflix has definitely made living by yourself easy for college students. I don't have to pay over $100 for internet and cable anymore. I can just pay for Internet which is $60 and get that over with. It's such a good deal overall!

#204 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

I remember going to Blockbuster weekly with my family and getting a movie (or a game) and watching it over the weekend. It was the biggest 1990's outlet for families to get their movie's on. And then I remember Red Box and Netflix coming out of nowhere and soon after, Blockbuster started to disappear. Now I understand why. They should have taken the risk rather than no risk at all. I still do miss Blockbuster, though. I do miss the concept of going to the movie store and looking around and finding movies to watch though. But thanks for letting me know what happened from when you worked there! I just thought because everything was getting digital or "lazy" in the technology age, I thought it just out beat them in general, not because they didn't take the risk!

As for canceling cable, YES. Netflix has definitely made living by yourself easy for college students. I don't have to pay over $100 for internet and cable anymore. I can just pay for Internet which is $60 and get that over with. It's such a good deal overall!

Ha, Blockbuster. I miss just going in there to walk around and look at the random movie covers. I found so many gems that way, there was no way to review a movie online you just had to go by the case and wing it. Shame they didn't take netflix up on their offer, they would be so powerful but they were always stupid in their business practices so it was only a matter of time before they died out.  With Netflix and now having a smartTV, there is also no reason for me to have cable. I love it!

#205 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Ha, Blockbuster. I miss just going in there to walk around and look at the random movie covers. I found so many gems that way, there was no way to review a movie online you just had to go by the case and wing it. Shame they didn't take netflix up on their offer, they would be so powerful but they were always stupid in their business practices so it was only a matter of time before they died out.  With Netflix and now having a smartTV, there is also no reason for me to have cable. I love it!

This definitely makes me nostalgic.  I do remember on the weekends just going to Blockbuster with friends, and walking down the aisles looking for something simply based on the covers.  Seems so strange nowadays to do that, even though it wasn't that long ago.  Now if I want to see a movie, first thing I do is check forums/reviews to see if it's even worth my time, then I simply get it on Netflix or whatever else is playing it.

It's good and it's bad.  I like that there are reviews out there that warn me of bad movies, but sometimes it's just nice to select movies just based on the cover and see where it takes you.  More of an adventure that way since you don't know what you're getting into.  When I check a review, the bar has already been set.  I never read reviews in detail, even now though.  If I'm unsure of a movie, I'll check out rotten tomato or something, but it's a mistake to read reviews.  For one, they reveal way too much of the plot.  I prefer to leave it mostly a surprise.  And secondly, they nit pick like crazy.  Stuff I wouldn't normally notice on my own is picked apart like crazy in a review.  I guess I prefer to remain blissfully ignorant.  Maybe a certain scene in a certain movie was poorly acted by a certain actor, but the normal me wouldn't even recognize that normally.  However, if I read about it in a review, it would stick out like a sore thumb and it would lead to me enjoying the movie less.

#206 shaybearlv

shaybearlv

Cordial

• 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

We haven't had cable now for a few years because we have Netflix and then whatever is not on Netflix can be streamed online elsewhere for free.  The selection on Netflix is much better than it was a few years ago and I am excited that they are putting more shows from networks I enjoy, i.e. HGTV.  I am a total binge watcher when it comes to series I like.  I can make it through several seasons in just a couple of weeks.  My instant que is definitely full!  I almost feel as though I am never bringing the number down. :/ 

#207 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

We haven't had cable now for a few years because we have Netflix and then whatever is not on Netflix can be streamed online elsewhere for free.  The selection on Netflix is much better than it was a few years ago and I am excited that they are putting more shows from networks I enjoy, i.e. HGTV.  I am a total binge watcher when it comes to series I like.  I can make it through several seasons in just a couple of weeks.  My instant que is definitely full!  I almost feel as though I am never bringing the number down. :/ 

Haha, that's why I have cleared eeverything out and I am not watching one series at a time from start to finish without jumping around unless its to a movie. I have just finished Star Trek DS9 and now Voyager and am inbetween shows.

#208 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

We've actually been thinking about getting rid of satellite in lieu of Netflix, but I just can't imagine not having "real" TV.  It's gotten so expensive though, and Netflix is a bargain at $8.  They seem to be getting a lot of new shows lately and I really enjoy their original programming, like Orange is the New Black.  I just wish Netflix had current season programming, and more "cable" shows, like Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, etc.

#209 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

We used to have Netflix a few years ago, but as with a lot of people; we found it a drag because they didn't always have new shows and movies. It just seemed a waste of time. I'm also a serious "binge viewer" and can't be doing with waiting for the continuation the following week! -especially if a show does fantastic cliffhangers; I end up scouring the net for spoilers LOL But now that I hear Netflix has improved, it may be worth a re-visit :)

#210 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Has anyone seen "Lie To Me'? This is my latest forced Netflix addiction. My son controls the tube and I pretty much end up watching whatever he is into whether I want to or not. I must confess it has my attention. I am trying to see what I can learn from it to use in real life. The name says it all.

Edited by Silverfox, 26 January 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#211 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

I'm thinking about returning to Netflix since my membership expired, but when inquiring about the prices the cheapest price is for streaming. I'm old school, I want the DVD but it costs a little more now. Hmmm decisions, decisions. It sucks they up'd their prices but catching up on a full season of a show commercial free is highly desirable. I wonder what alternatives there are?

I love netflix streaming - no waiting for DVDs, but a lot of the shows I want to watch are only on DVD.  Sadly, I'm having some money issues right now and decided to drop the DVD service - it was only $12 a month (which isn't bad considering) but every penny counts right now.  If you're looking for DVD alternatives, you should try your local library.  Most systems have a great DVD section, and a lot of times, if they don't have what you're looking for, they can do an interlibrary loan and get it for you.  Of course, you then have the hassle of having to go to the library to get the DVD and then again to return it.  Not nearly as simple as going to your own mailbox!

#212 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

It's so cheap, I don't know how they make any money, with having to constantly buy new content. I had it for about two years, when I didn't have cable. It was annoying at first having to start a new show all the time, but I got used to it. When I went back to cable, that seemed weird for a bit. Eventually, I dropped Netflix because the internet receiver in my Blu Ray player quit working. If I was going to keep it I would had to have bought a new player, and it just wasn't worth it, when I had cable.

#213 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

Has anyone been watching Marco Polo on netflix?  I saw it advertised a while ago and was really looking forward to it.  I love historical fiction like this.  And the story of Marco Polo has never really been told, but is so interesting.  I've watched 3 episodes, and I just can't get into it.  I don't really like the way it was cast - the actors don't really seem to fit the characters they're playing.  I also don't like the way it was produced.  Parts of it are dark and grainy and it's hard to tell one character from another.  Also, the background noises are so loud, it's hard to understand what the actors are saying.  It also keeps jumping back and forth, it's hard to keep up with where they are and who's who.  I'm really disappointed - however, I'll keep watching it to see if it gets better.

#214 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

I love netflix streaming - no waiting for DVDs, but a lot of the shows I want to watch are only on DVD.  Sadly, I'm having some money issues right now and decided to drop the DVD service - it was only $12 a month (which isn't bad considering) but every penny counts right now.  If you're looking for DVD alternatives, you should try your local library.  Most systems have a great DVD section, and a lot of times, if they don't have what you're looking for, they can do an interlibrary loan and get it for you.  Of course, you then have the hassle of having to go to the library to get the DVD and then again to return it.  Not nearly as simple as going to your own mailbox!

I can relate! If it's in the budget, you probably don't have the time to watch anything, lol. I just reactivated my account this past week and started browsing to see what was there to be seen. There are quite a lot of movies that are not available for streaming, but there is also quite a lot of stuff that is, from foreign film to documentaries so now I just need time to binge!

#215 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

They still did the DVD portion? I thought they cancelled that a few years back!! 

I've never used them for DVDs. I'll admit that their movie selection isn't that great for streaming online. I end up streaming movies elsewhere instead.

#216 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

They still did the DVD portion? I thought they cancelled that a few years back!! 

I've never used them for DVDs. I'll admit that their movie selection isn't that great for streaming online. I end up streaming movies elsewhere instead.

Yes, they do still have a DVD service.  For some strange reason a couple of years ago, they decided to split streaming and DVD into two separate companies - they said that because the business model was so different, they felt they needed to separate them.  Who knows what goes through a "business mans" brain.  Anyway, the service is still available and works great.  I put the watched DVD in the mailbox, and two days later, there's a new one there - I'd put one in the mailbox on Monday and on Wednesday, like magic, the next one on my list is waiting for me.  One thing I really like, if you decide to cancel your DVD service, they keep your list active, so that if you restart it again, all the DVDs you had queued to your list are still there, and service is resumed as if you'd never quit.

#217 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

I remember those times too!  My mom used to take me to Blockbuster and pick a movie, sweetest memories ever! My dad used to do the same too!  Actually one of the fondest memories of me with my dad, was when he took me to Blockbuster one night and he allowed me to pick two movies, then on the way home he bought me a muffin!  I'll never forget that :D  Times have changed...

#218 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

It's so cheap, I don't know how they make any money, with having to constantly buy new content. I had it for about two years, when I didn't have cable. It was annoying at first having to start a new show all the time, but I got used to it. When I went back to cable, that seemed weird for a bit. Eventually, I dropped Netflix because the internet receiver in my Blu Ray player quit working. If I was going to keep it I would had to have bought a new player, and it just wasn't worth it, when I had cable.

I hear ya!  I also wonder how they manage to make money charging only that fee! I totally loved Netflix when I had it, I thought I'd not like it given the fact I always thought of myself as a very traditional person, so to speak.  I mean, I actually liked to wait for the next episode of my favorite TV show, it did give me something cool to look forward to (yes, this is how much I loved watching TV!).

#219 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

i just the best movie on netflix - it's called Stoneheasrt Asylum.  It's based on an Edgar Allan Poe story, so it is decidedly strange. It's set in 1899 England and is about a young doctor, who takes a position at a mental institution. When he gets there, he finds the institute is being run in an unconventional manner!

It has the typical Poe twist to it and examines the methods of treating mental illness at the turn of the century. It stars Michael Caine, Ben Kingsley and Kate Beckinsale. Definitely well worth watching.

#220 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

Uhm, I wanted to go to the movies to watch that film, but sadly I couldn't make it.  I thought the plot of that movie sounded interesting, but i had already forgotten about it!  I might watch it soon tho, I liked your description :)  It sounds interesting and I had no idea at all it was based on one of Poe's works! That is absolutely wonderful! That alone has made me want to watch it even more!  Now, if we had more movies based on Lovecraft works, then I'd be really happy :D A Call of Cthulhu movie would be awesome!!!!