Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Degrassi used to be well known in Canada

#2 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

When I was about 10 years old, I remember being hooked on an old British show called Black Beauty. Based on the Anna Sewell novel, reruns were played on Nickelodean (this was around the same time Alanis Morrisette was on You Can't Do That on Television) and no one else I knew watched it. I don't know when the original airings of the show was played, but it was probably sometime in the 70's. I was a horse-fanatic, so I just adored the show. There must have only been a couple of seasons because I saw all of the episodes multiple times, but I still never missed an airing. I came across an episode on youtube recently, and watched the whole thing - it was like being a kid again.

#3 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I got really hooked on a show called "Jericho." It aired a few years back and ran for one and a half seasons, I think. Starred Gerald McRaney and Skeet Ulrich. It was about a bomb or something being dropped on the U.S. and everyone trying to survive. I tend to really like shows like that.

I'm actually surprised this one got cancelled because it was so good. I could never wait for the next episode. If you get a chance you should watch it.Even though the show was cut short, they managed to tie things up pretty nicely by the end.

#4 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

When I was a kid I liked the story of Little Women (Louisa Alcott), The Secret Garden(Kate Maberly), and Anne of Green Gables(Lucy Montgomery). They all have old settings and that's what I love most because the authors described how it was living before and the female characters are all extraordinary and brave women. I only got the chance to watch the replays but it worth my time because the stories are full of lessons and adventures and as a child I enjoyed more the animated series.

#5 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

Space: 1999 with Barbara Bain and Martin Landau was my favorite show. I remember a character that was a shape shifter long before Deep Space Nine's Odo made shape shifting cool. I have been looking for the seasons to watch them but, not sure they are on DVD yet.

#6 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Perry Mason, I highly enjoyed Raymond Burr in his earlier roles. He's usually played the detective, cop or in this case lawyer. He carries off the part well, even in Ironside which I caught quite by accident flipping through the channels. I had no idea though he was gay, I always thought the chemistry between him and his secretary was filled with sexual tension, but, I was so wrong, lol.

#7 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

http://www.tv.com/shows/popular/

Popular was a show that aired from 1999 to 2001 on the WB. That was one of my favorite shows. It was a dark comedy, kind of slapstick at times, but also pretty deep. Goofy, strange, pointless, endearing... I was so sad when it was cancelled. Especially considering the cliffhanger ending of the last season before they knew it would be cancelled!!

#8 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

When I was younger I've been watching the show called "Due South" - it was great I loved it. I still have the theme song set us my phone ring tone :). Also shows like the A-team (even tho it was and still is quiet popular show) and McGyver. There was also a time when I was into the "Doogie Howser" with Neil Patrick Harris. It was a nice show for the whole family. It is a shame they don't do that kind of shows anymore.

#9 Techy855

Techy855

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

A British show called Spaced. Incredibly funny and if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and go watch it. Its some of the early work from Simon Pegg.

#10 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

When I was younger I've been watching the show called "Due South" - it was great I loved it. I still have the theme song set us my phone ring tone :). Also shows like the A-team (even tho it was and still is quiet popular show) and McGyver. There was also a time when I was into the "Doogie Howser" with Neil Patrick Harris. It was a nice show for the whole family. It is a shame they don't do that kind of shows anymore.

I thought of Doogie Howser when I saw this thread but I wasn't sure it fits into this category. I was very little when it was on.

I loved Doogie and Wency/Wanda?. You figure out why :lol

#11 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't call Doogie Howser obscure. It is pretty well remembered, especially with NPH now being such a hit on How I Met Your Mother.

For me, there was this show that was on in the US for 1 season called Misfits. It had a really young Courtney Cox in it, and was about these teenagers who get superpowers. Kind of like a 20 year precursor to Heroes, but more tongue in cheek. It was on in the early 80's if I remember.

#12 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I have always been a fan of "oddball" reality competitions. Solitary, Who Wants to be on a Japanese Game Show, Cha$e and 101 Ways to Leave a Game Show are some recent faves that come to my mind.

#13 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I used to watch Degrassi-the original show back in the 80's when nobody watched it. I loved it because they dealt with real issues like teen pregnancy.

#14 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

I just remind myself a TV series I really liked few years ago - 'My name is Earl'! In this show the guy is living my dream life :D...He wins the lottery, and then he decides to help everybody that he knows with one thing. It was a great idea for a show and as far as I remember it was quiet popular show. I highly recommend it to everybody! :)

#15 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Another I liked, that I'm not sure could be considered obscure is "Charles in Charge." Does anyone remember that? It came out in the '80s and was actually funny. Gotta love Scott Baio though no matter what he's in :)

#16 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Yea, Degrassi isn't obscure in Canada, but in the states, especially the southern ones, it is not a big name. I think the "new" version that is out is getting more press so maybe it is better known.

#17 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Here are a few I watch that are also Canadian made that were hits in the 90's-2006: Cold Squad and Da Vinci's Inquest. Cold Squad is like US's Cold Case in that it centers around cases that have grown cold over time. The difference though, is usually Cold Squad's cold cases are newer than Cold Case's files which can go back as early as 1930's or so. Da Vinci's Inquest is about a Forensic Coroner that specializes in getting to the heart of why his "clients" wind up in the morgue. It may seem dark but actually the stories surrounding these 2 shows show you about the life on the streets of Canada which are similar to most US streets in crime, social issues and laws governing that country. Pretty decent and you can catch them every night on the channels specializing on older shows.

#18 Midnight

Midnight

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have been racking my brain trying to remember a not-so popular show that I liked. I loved Doogie Howser, but I agree that it wasn`t an obscure program. A lot of people in my school were fans of the young doctor, too. :D Now I remember Twin Peaks. I am not sure if it can be classified as obscure though. The show revolved around the investigation of the murder of a young lady named Laura Palmer.

#19 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

I don't know how popular it was but my favorite show was Salute Your Shorts. I think any kid growing up in the 90's knows all about Zeke the Plumber but I think it got more of a cult following than sky high numbers during its first run. I think if you were like 8-12 during the 90s then you loved it, but I was biased and young so who knows what is true or not, haha.

#20 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

"Blade:The Series"
"Veronica Mars"
"Point Pleasant"
"Shasta Mcnasty"

I really thought "PP" and "VM" were cancelled way too early.