Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

"Blade:The Series"
"Veronica Mars"
"Point Pleasant"
"Shasta Mcnasty"

I really thought "PP" and "VM" were cancelled way too early.

You know, I literally forgot all about the Blade tv series. But I'm not too shocked about Veronica Mars getting axed when it did. The show itself wasn't the problem. The problem was Kristen Bell sucks as an actress.

#22 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Another I liked, that I'm not sure could be considered obscure is "Charles in Charge." Does anyone remember that? It came out in the '80s and was actually funny. Gotta love Scott Baio though no matter what he's in :)

Oh I remember it!

I don't think it counts as obscure, though. It was around for several seasons (I just checked...5 seasons) and is well known by those who would've been watching TV back in the 80s. Scott Baio was awesome in that. <3

#23 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

"Blade:The Series"
"Veronica Mars"
"Point Pleasant"
"Shasta Mcnasty"

I really thought "PP" and "VM" were cancelled way too early.

You know, I literally forgot all about the Blade tv series. But I'm not too shocked about Veronica Mars getting axed when it did. The show itself wasn't the problem. The problem was Kristen Bell sucks as an actress.

I thought she was good in the role. It was axed because it moved to the CW from UPN Channel 9. The CW is not a network for shows like "Veronica Mars". Unless Veronica was a super model who had a male boyfriend and female girlfriend. And she was seeing both at the same time. And her dad was cheating on her mom. But her mom had a dark secret which was that she killed her husbands first wife in order to worm her way into his life. And she's also cheating on her new husband with a younger man. If THAT was the premise of "VM"...then it would've lasted longer.

#24 thresholdofreality

thresholdofreality

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Kristen was actually very good in the role. The reason why the CW cancelled VM was because of 'poor ratings' (VM averaged 2.5 million viewers its last season) which is really funny since most CW shows these days are barely cracking 1 million viewers per week! I also agree with NickJ - if VM was on Showtime or USA or whatever, I don't think it would have gotten cancelled. It just wasn't the type of show for the market the CW is aiming at.

#25 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

@NickJ

You make it sound more like Gossip Girl and 90210 lol. But, point taken. That's CW's biggest fault. They rely on scandal style shows to survive.

#26 thresholdofreality

thresholdofreality

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

...And we all know that those 'scandal-type' shows usually run out of steam after a few seasons. Take Desperate Housewives, for example. The first two seasons were very scandalous, but the creators realized that they need to develop the characters and their relationships as well and did just that. I believe that's why it lasted as long as it did and why it maintained viewership over the years. There was still scandal, sure, but we really got to see the characters develop. I really can't say the same for a CW show - GG is almost ending and Blair pretty much regressed to how she was during high school. No character growth at all.

#27 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

...And we all know that those 'scandal-type' shows usually run out of steam after a few seasons. Take Desperate Housewives, for example. The first two seasons were very scandalous, but the creators realized that they need to develop the characters and their relationships as well and did just that. I believe that's why it lasted as long as it did and why it maintained viewership over the years. There was still scandal, sure, but we really got to see the characters develop. I really can't say the same for a CW show - GG is almost ending and Blair pretty much regressed to how she was during high school. No character growth at all.

I can't stand to watch a single episode of "Gossip Girl".

@NickJ

You make it sound more like Gossip Girl and 90210 lol. But, point taken. That's CW's biggest fault. They rely on scandal style shows to survive.

I watched a few episodes of "90210" early. When Silver was dating that one girl and when he broke up with her she tried to commit suicide or something. After that, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Kristen was actually very good in the role. The reason why the CW cancelled VM was because of 'poor ratings' (VM averaged 2.5 million viewers its last season) which is really funny since most CW shows these days are barely cracking 1 million viewers per week! I also agree with NickJ - if VM was on Showtime or USA or whatever, I don't think it would have gotten cancelled. It just wasn't the type of show for the market the CW is aiming at.

I would've hoped for USA because I don't have Showtime. That channel is a waste of money. Plus they gauge you. Make you pay for TMC (The Movie Channel) when you don't even want it. But it's attached at the hip to the Showtime package.

#28 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Well, you can't really compare the CW to the USA Network.

The CW goes for that young 14-30 demographic. Whereas USA tries to have something for everyone. Which is why you're right as in if Veronica Mars went there, it probably would still be going. Because if USA does anything right, is that they know how to cultivate shows.

#29 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

USA has the 14-30 demo too. Just that CW goes for the low-hanging fruit of that demo. Granted, many smart 14-30 or 18 to 35's in the world, but the CW blatantly tries to target the really stupid ones. With shows like "The L.A. Complex". There was also another show they advertised about a Beach front resort or hotel? I forget the name but they played trailers for it back in August. It too was a sex-crazed scandal-crazed show. People watch stuff like that, but it has to be digestable with some wit. Instead of blatant, empty, and plastic.

#30 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

http://www.tv.com/shows/popular/

Popular was a show that aired from 1999 to 2001 on the WB. That was one of my favorite shows. It was a dark comedy, kind of slapstick at times, but also pretty deep. Goofy, strange, pointless, endearing... I was so sad when it was cancelled. Especially considering the cliffhanger ending of the last season before they knew it would be cancelled!!

YES!!! I was just about to mention this show until I saw you beat me to it. This here is a prime example of good shows getting axed while crappy ones stay afloat.

#31 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Does anyone remember the MTV afterschool show called "My So Called life?" with Claire Daines ? I liked that show. It featured highschool life but not in a fairytale way but more real life issues. It was the first time I remember as a teen seeing a portrayal of a gay teen on tv facing his own issues too. The show is long gone but produced a couple stars in the end. Claire Daines and Ryan Reynolds still have careers. Good for them.

#32 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Popular was a show that aired from 1999 to 2001 on the WB. That was one of my favorite shows. It was a dark comedy, kind of slapstick at times, but also pretty deep. Goofy, strange, pointless, endearing... I was so sad when it was cancelled. Especially considering the cliffhanger ending of the last season before they knew it would be cancelled!!

YES!!! I was just about to mention this show until I saw you beat me to it. This here is a prime example of good shows getting axed while crappy ones stay afloat.

I remember "Popular". I think I started watching that show around the final one or two seasons. Then it was gone and I was like, oh well. Sucks for me.

#33 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I remember "Popular". I think I started watching that show around the final one or two seasons. Then it was gone and I was like, oh well. Sucks for me.

Yep and with the cliffhanger ending, they really should have kept it going for another season or at least made a special final episode to tie up the loose ends. Two more shows I've thought of that ended before their time are The Secret Circle (okay, not obscure but it should have gotten a second chance) and Kyle XY. I discovered Kyle XY on Netflix and was so hooked after just the first episode... then it ended! :(

Dead Like Me was also awesome. It's about a girl that dies and becomes a reaper, like the grim reaper but there are a whole bunch of them. It's full of dark humor and very enjoyable.

#34 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Dead Like Me I didn't understand ending at all. I think as good as it was, the show was a bit beyond many on an intellectual level. It wasn't "trashy" enough, so it's gone.

#35 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

"Dead Like Me"!! Ah those were the days. When Showtime was worth the extra $20.00 a month. Now? Forget it. Also "Kyle XY"? I remember that show, because I did an interview with the blonde chick from that show many moons ago. I think it was 2007 if I'm not mistaken. Never seen en episode but glanced over two or three for about 10 minutes. The show was too sappy for my tastes. But most ABC Family stuff usually is.

#36 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Anyone hear every heard of The Lost World? It was a series in first run syndication from 1999 to 2002.It last three seasons and was one of my favorite series during that time. It had everything I looked for in a series, fantasy, drama, adventure and romance. I was sorry to see it end the way it did.

#37 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I don't remember "The Lost World". I remember "Land Of The Lost" though. On ABC Saturday mornings.

#38 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't remember "The Lost World". I remember "Land Of The Lost" though. On ABC Saturday mornings.

Well, like I said not too well known. It was first run syndication in the late nineties and early 2000's. So, odds are not many have heard of it. Sad thing is its also not shown in syndication either, even though it had three seasons. It did have some similar premise to Land of the Lost,with people ending up in a prehistoric world with Dinosaurs.

#39 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't know where to talk about this show and I can't find any other mentions, so I'm guessing maybe it's a little obscure?

I just started watching Dollhouse the other day and have found myself quite enjoying it. It took a while to pick up, but now I'm intrigued. Unfortunately, it was cancelled after the second season, so I already know that I'm going to get really into it and then it's going to end. In a few days, I'll be talking about the disappointment, too. Bleh. :(

#40 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

"Dollhouse". Another FOX show that got cancelled extremely quickly. Too bad too. It was the reuniting of Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku for the first time in awhile. And poor Eliza, she has been on 2 FOX shows that were cancelled. "Tru Calling" and "Dollhouse".