• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Four Kings was a show that I believe aired on NBC for only four episodes before being canceled. At the time, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. My mom and I used to wait for it to come on, but it never did, and we later found out that it had been canceled. This was quite some time ago, so I don't remember many details, but I remember how hard I laughed when I watched it. I still can't believe they canceled it, especially before it really had a chance.

#42 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

I may have already mentioned this somewhere, but I also like/liked "Black Books." It was a British show about a guy who owns a book store, but doesn't like people.The way he interacts with people, especially his coworker and his customers, is what makes the show so funny. I hadn't even heard of it until someone else recommended it to me. If anyone has Netflix, it's on streaming and I highly recommend it (especially if you like British humor shows along the lines of Monty Python, although this show isn't quite as 'silly').

#43 artistry

artistry

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Twin Peaks always seemed weird to me, but an awful lot of people were really into the show. With shows being remade Hawaii Five-O, etc., perhaps Twin Peaks will return for another spin.

#44 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

You Again? 80's sit com , starred a young a hot John Stamos and Jack Klugman

#45 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Twin Peaks always seemed weird to me, but an awful lot of people were really into the show. With shows being remade Hawaii Five-O, etc., perhaps Twin Peaks will return for another spin.

I tried to watch "Twin Peaks" on 10 separate occasions. I just didn't get it. I think you have to watch every episode from start to finish in order to even have a chance at understanding what the "f" is happening in that show.

#46 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

How can a television show be obscure? Unless something was created, tested and never made it past the pilot stage it becomes known, especially in this day an age. To truly qualify as obscure a show would have had to run for a full season with almost no one watching, but the networks are too big on ratings to let something like that happen.

#47 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Not really. Many shows run with bad ratings. Depends on the actors involved. Also depends on the channel they're on. Some channels get very little viewers. So what a show does on their network is big. Whereas on NBC or ABC, it'd be small and eventually pulled.

#48 jazlove361

jazlove361

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Another I liked, that I'm not sure could be considered obscure is "Charles in Charge." Does anyone remember that? It came out in the '80s and was actually funny. Gotta love Scott Baio though no matter what he's in :)

YES! I remember the show "Charles in Charge" well!! I loved the theme song and of course Scott Baio! I used

to watch this show after school!! Those girls he had to watch they were ok, but one always had an attitude

and I used to wish she would not be so snooty!! lol

My favorite Obscure Show was this show called "The Heights"! It used to come on

the Fox Network and revolved around a group of Young Adults all living  in

the Big city for the first time! I loved the theme song from this show "How do you

talk to an angel". I don't know why "The Heights" got canceled! I thought it was

the safe version of Melrose Place! lol

#49 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Probably the title. THE HEIGHTS sounds like a show about rough inner city kids and their struggles in their respective area. People get all stereotypical and scared off by titles like that. Must be why I NEVER watched an episode of Dawson's Creek.

#50 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

There was one very obscure show that I LOVED. It was called Monkey Dust and it used to air over her in the UK on BBC3. EPIC cartoon, but oh so adult with the themes and topics that it tackled. It was almost hard to watch at time, it was such a dark and obscure cartoon, and they used a lot of downtempo music like Goldfrapp and other epic chill out bands to further emote these sometimes scary and dark scenes. The show stopped being produced when the show's creator died, unfortunately. he sure had some dark thoughts running around in his head. I would have liked to have met him.

#51 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

UK has a BBC-3? LOL! Are all UK channels just like BBC-1 and all the way up to BBC-700 or something? I remember hearing stories about UK cable companies and how strangely different they operate and map out channels and networks over there. When compared to America.

Edited by NickJ, 12 April 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#52 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

UK has a BBC-3? LOL! Are all UK channels just like BBC-1 and all the way up to BBC-700 or something? I remember hearing stories about UK cable companies and how strangely different they operate and map out channels and networks over there. When compared to America.

LOL! No, this is not how UK channels work hahaha! It's strange to look at UK programming through a different countries eyes. It's strange to think that the rest of the world's tv stations aren't like ours. But BBC 3 is basically just a station that you will get here in the UK if you either have Sky, cable, or freeview box installed in your television. Stations one to five are the normal Tv stations that UK viewers get.

#53 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

So do you guys have super expensive cable packages like us here in America? Our cable packages can run from $200 to $500 in some cases. Depending on what channels you have. And of course, High Def.

#54 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

So do you guys have super expensive cable packages like us here in America? Our cable packages can run from $200 to $500 in some cases. Depending on what channels you have. And of course, High Def.

Yes, over here we have multiple packages available with either Virgin Media or Sky or BT.

Different packages cost different prices, and they have assembled the packages so that you have to buy them in pairs, if that makes any sense. So say you just wanted a few sports channels, they wouldn't let you just buy the sports channels. They would lump the sports stations in with the movie stations, so that you have to buy more than one package to get the stations that you actually want, which is kind of shady but it's life.

Luckily for me, I don't watch television. I watch all of my 'TV' from downloading shows from the internet.

Edited by pipergale, 14 April 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#55 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yes, over here we have multiple packages available with either Virgin Media or Sky or BT.

Different packages cost different prices, and they have assembled the packages so that you have to buy them in pairs, if that makes any sense. So say you just wanted a few sports channels, they wouldn't let you just buy the sports channels. They would lump the sports stations in with the movie stations, so that you have to buy more than one package to get the stations that you actually want, which is kind of shady but it's life.

Luckily for me, I don't watch television. I watch all of my 'TV' from downloading shows from the internet.

Same thing that happens here in America. We're not that different lol. I smartened up a long time ago though. I examined all of my channels to see which I could do without and which I needed. I noticed what HBO shows, Cinemax shows. And Vice Versa. So I cut Cinemax since HBO has better original series like Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. I cut Showtime and The Movie Channel as well because their lineups and movie selections suck! Saved myself a lot of money. I haven't ordered the NBA Basketball package yet because I am waiting on my favorite NBA team's management to get their act together and build a real contender. Before I flush $200 into a season package for NBA League Pass.

#56 LadyNightowl

LadyNightowl

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

I watched a show called "Cop Rock" which was a cop drama but the characters would break out into song at any given moment. It sounds crazy but I thought it was great. These people could act and sing and they managed to do it in a way that kept me entertained. It was sort of like the cop drama version of Glee. It was way ahead of its time. I wish I could find the old episodes but I haven't been able to. I think Cop Rock really IS obscure because it only lasted a season and I was the only one watching it. Haha. It sure seemed that way whenever I mentioned the show. 

I watched Charles in Charge too. I loved Scott Baio. Still do! 

#57 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Here's one that no one probably remembers. The show was called Dead at 21. It was on MTv in the early 90's. The show was about this kid that finds out on his 20th birthday that he was part of some type of medical experimant and that he was going to die on his 21st birthday. It was a really weird show and it didn't last very long at all, there may have been like only 13 episodes, I don't remember. All I remember was that i loved it and it ended out of nowhere. I had no clue that it was canceled, I just remember it ending really abruptly and me being really upset about it.

#58 mkcookin

mkcookin

Cordial

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

There was one show I think called Heroes. It was about a group of people who had super powers, and they tried to save the world. One of them could leap through time. I found it really fun to watch, but I think they canceled it after the first season, due to bad ratings. 

#59 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I used to watch Degrassi-the original show back in the 80's when nobody watched it. I loved it because they dealt with real issues like teen pregnancy.

They still deal with real issues like that. I watched the old ones from the 70s and 80s as well, and though the story was good, most of the acting was terrible, lol. Now the actors are incredible, especially for kids.

Though some of the actors who were great on the old show came back for the next generation, such as Snake, Joey, Spike, and Caitlyn. And Wheels made a guest appearance on the show again, which was incredible to see. Sadly the actor who played Wheels died a few years ago, and nobody had known about it for years. Ironically he died due to alcoholism and drug use...the same thing his character struggled with.

#60 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

This is really mean I know, but there was this show called Sewing With Nancy, and the host of the show obviously had some sort of stroke. Anyhow, I used to laugh my ass off watching the show because it always looked like she was being really snarky and a smartass when she was talking. In reality it was because part of her face was paralyzed. I would never make fun of someone with a stroke to their face and I feel horrible for anyone that's ever had one, but there was something about the way the camera crew would try to glam her up for TV and have her pose for shots that made it unintentionally funny.

Nickelodeon had a hilarious show called Mad Movies back in the mid 80's. It was kind of in the same spirit of Mystery Science Theater, where this comedy team would overdub a movie with their own dialogue and give it a whole different meaning. One of the funniest was when they made Shirley Temple sound like she was possessed by the devil.