• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

To add to what audience members have said in the past, some are required to sign contracts, vowing that they won't say much about what they saw after they have filmed and watched the show. That could just be because they don't want any spoilers getting out before the show actually hits TV, or because the show is fake and the audience is actually a part of the act too.

Interesting, I've heard of them doing things like that on Game Shows, but not on Talk Shows. A friend of mine won $10k on The Price Is Right, and he wasn't allowed to talk about it until the show aired. But in addition to that, they withheld his prize money until the show aired, I guess as an incentive to keep his mouth shut. Perhaps on the talk shows, they refrain from paying the guest in a similar fashion, until the show airs?

They do the same thing on those psychic medium shows. They make he audience members sign a contract, but I am not sure if that is because the entire show is a fraud or because of spoilers. I wasn't aware that this was happening on game shows too. I can't believe they withheld your friend's money until the show aired lol. pretty good way of shutting someone up though.

I was also thinking that I wonder if it has anything to do with the show recouping their prize money with the money received from the advertisers first. In other words, do the contestants still get paid if the show unexpectedly gets dropped and never airs? Perhaps just me being paranoid, and I suppose it's a long shot of an idea. I guess we would have hear more uproar about stuff like that if it really happened by now.

Good guess, but I have absolutely no idea as to whether they wait until they get their money from sponsors and advertisers before they pay winners. When I first heard about those medium shows making people swear to secrecy via contract, I automatically assumed that the mediums were not really mediums and that everything was fake, and that was why the audience were being made to keep quiet.

#22 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

To add to what audience members have said in the past, some are required to sign contracts, vowing that they won't say much about what they saw after they have filmed and watched the show. That could just be because they don't want any spoilers getting out before the show actually hits TV, or because the show is fake and the audience is actually a part of the act too.

Interesting, I've heard of them doing things like that on Game Shows, but not on Talk Shows. A friend of mine won $10k on The Price Is Right, and he wasn't allowed to talk about it until the show aired. But in addition to that, they withheld his prize money until the show aired, I guess as an incentive to keep his mouth shut. Perhaps on the talk shows, they refrain from paying the guest in a similar fashion, until the show airs?

They do the same thing on those psychic medium shows. They make he audience members sign a contract, but I am not sure if that is because the entire show is a fraud or because of spoilers. I wasn't aware that this was happening on game shows too. I can't believe they withheld your friend's money until the show aired lol. pretty good way of shutting someone up though.

I was also thinking that I wonder if it has anything to do with the show recouping their prize money with the money received from the advertisers first. In other words, do the contestants still get paid if the show unexpectedly gets dropped and never airs? Perhaps just me being paranoid, and I suppose it's a long shot of an idea. I guess we would have hear more uproar about stuff like that if it really happened by now.

Good guess, but I have absolutely no idea as to whether they wait until they get their money from sponsors and advertisers before they pay winners. When I first heard about those medium shows making people swear to secrecy via contract, I automatically assumed that the mediums were not really mediums and that everything was fake, and that was why the audience were being made to keep quiet.

There is a show by Penn & Teller called "Bullshit!" that covers the whole phenomenon of TV psychics. I think the show aired on FX, but you can find most of the episodes in their entirety on Youtube, which is where I watched them all. The episode in particular that addresses this shows how they cold read people to pull various pieces of information out of them, then spit it back to them to make it seem like they are genuinely psychic. It also goes into some high profile instances where they were proven wrong.

#23 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

There is a show by Penn & Teller called "Bullshit!" that covers the whole phenomenon of TV psychics. I think the show aired on FX, but you can find most of the episodes in their entirety on Youtube, which is where I watched them all. The episode in particular that addresses this shows how they cold read people to pull various pieces of information out of them, then spit it back to them to make it seem like they are genuinely psychic. It also goes into some high profile instances where they were proven wrong.

Yes, I am a massive fan of Penn and teller. I love their magic shows, and I am somewhat of a fan of Bullshit too. Some of the things that they tackle on their are in fact real things and are true, as I have experienced them myself. But I have heard of cold reading even before Penn and teller debunked it lol. It is so silly and easy to track if the person who is there for the reading is aware of what they are saying, but because a lot of people want to believe that they are having their fortune read, people will believe it.

#24 LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I use to watch Jerry when I was younger because I thought that it was funny. Just recently I started watching it and realized that it is such a fake show. I mean come on, why would people come on a show just to "fight" when they can do that at home. The only people that I think that comes on the show is the ones who are scared to fight at home. They know that by being on the show, there will be body guards there so that they won't get the butts whooped. I watched one episode last night where the fight was so obvious. It was two white girls and when the bell rung, one of the white girls looked at jerry and then started trying to fight the other girl. FAKE!!! 

#25 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

I used to watch this a decade ago reallly believing the topics were real and shocked that people do these kind of things. Then when I found out it was scripted the show lost its edge. Still funny sometimes though still.

#26 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

I just stumbled on the Jerry Springer show. I have long wondered if it's just another bad acting show and if the people get paid to come on the show; even the audience. You would have to pay me just to be in the audience. Right now I am watching this young kid on his knees asking for a girls' hand in marriage. She declined because she found a woman. To embarrass yourself like that on national television should come with a price tag. This show should be renamed Jerry Springer Comedy Live.

So it has been confirmed that it is scripted? Why am I not surprised. My satellite just went dead. Is the timing great or not?

Edited by Silverfox, 21 October 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#27 cp2025

cp2025

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

This show makes me cringe. Has elicited that reaction out of me from the beginning. It's just a trashy show. I can see why people watch it though, because it's kind of like a train wreck that you can't look away from. It's definitely staged though. I'm not sure if the topics and people on the show aren't real situations, though. I'm sure they are. So this is a basically a trashy show that is entertaining at times because it's so over the top. I don't go out of my way to watch it. But I'll watch it for a few minutes if I happen to stumble upon it, which is definitely rare.