• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have read my fair share of young adult paranormal fiction and I've liked a lot of it, loved some of it. I have found an awesome series by Carrie Ryan called The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's set many generations after the zombie apocalypse. It's classified as a young adult series, but I don't really think it's 'young' at all. Sure, there's a romance in the first book, which is the only one I've read so far, but it's not what the story is built around.

From what I can tell, each of the 3 books is a different story from a different perspective all set on the same world. I could be wrong, though. But, I highly recommend it!

#2 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for your recommendation. Before I use to watch and read zombie and other horror stories when i was younger. But now, I no longer fond of it, maybe it has something to do with me having dreams that are sometimes haunted by horrific scenes. lol!

#3 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have never actually tried to read a book about zombies, Bonny. And to be honest, I have been thinking that I'm almost overdosed on zombies kind of like I am with vampires now thanks to all the movies, etc. coming out about them. But I admit that sounds intriguing! I'll have to add it to my Amazon wish list as something I might like to read. I really don't mind a lot of books that are intended for younger audiences because in many cases they are just as, if not more, enjoyable than books geared toward adults.

#4 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm not really into zombies, but my son is. I'm always trying to get him to read more, so maybe I'll check this series out for him.

#5 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

This books sounds very interesting. I would want to read it. I like books that are basically the same story but are told in different perspectives from other people.

#6 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I love Zombies. My favorite type of fiction (I have always said if I had to pick an apocalypse, I would go zombie apocalypse, cause I think I would survive). TV Shows, Movies, Books, doesn't matter, love them all.

If you want to read an amazing zombie book, check out World War Z. For me, the finest zombie fiction you can find (and written by Mel Brooks kid). If you are into graphic novels, the Walking Dead is not to be missed (there are enough differences you can enjoy it and the show equally).

#7 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Zombies, apart from the fact they were a hit within last few years, they are a little bit boring to me. I mean a bunch of slow, unarmed creatures that were people long time ago is just not that scary as I hoped they will be. I actually, have a question about zombies. Are they dead? Because, I always thought that while the person is infected or bitten by other zombie then they are dying and reborn as a zombie. If that's the case how can you kill zombie then? I honestly don't get it :P

#8 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I did a little light research, and I must admit, this book, heck, the series itself seems quite intriguing. I'm not particularly into zombie flicks/books myself, even though I'm a horror writer. Zombies, to me, is an over done plot line that really have nowhere to go and nothing else to offer rather than the whole, reanimated dead eat brains, body parts, each other motif. Some pieces of zombie culture have proven themselves to be quite worthy of the title and I daresay that Romero himself would have enjoyed. Zombieland for one, and I'd even venture so far as to include 28 days Later, even though it's kind of borderland for me because the infected it just that, infected, rather than reanimated corpses.

Another one that I read awhile ago that I really enjoyed is called Dead Zone. It features a whole new twist on the whole zombie plot that I absolutely ate up. Instead of just being mindless, soulless eating machines, the zombies are really just vessels, and dark spirits or demons inhabit the dead body, thus, reanimating it, but these are like the iPhones of zombies because they're smart. They're inhabited by a dark, demonic force that already inhabited the Earth once, and entering dead bodies is their license for inhabiting it again. Really neat read.

#9 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

I did a little light research, and I must admit, this book, heck, the series itself seems quite intriguing. I'm not particularly into zombie flicks/books myself, even though I'm a horror writer. Zombies, to me, is an over done plot line that really have nowhere to go and nothing else to offer rather than the whole, reanimated dead eat brains, body parts, each other motif. Some pieces of zombie culture have proven themselves to be quite worthy of the title and I daresay that Romero himself would have enjoyed. Zombieland for one, and I'd even venture so far as to include 28 days Later, even though it's kind of borderland for me because the infected it just that, infected, rather than reanimated corpses.

Another one that I read awhile ago that I really enjoyed is called Dead Zone. It features a whole new twist on the whole zombie plot that I absolutely ate up. Instead of just being mindless, soulless eating machines, the zombies are really just vessels, and dark spirits or demons inhabit the dead body, thus, reanimating it, but these are like the iPhones of zombies because they're smart. They're inhabited by a dark, demonic force that already inhabited the Earth once, and entering dead bodies is their license for inhabiting it again. Really neat read.

I've been working on my website so much, I've pretty much put books down. I actually just picked up the Game of Thrones graphic novels because apparently being obsessed with the books AND the show isn't enough :lol

My opinion is that, yes, there's a LOT of zombie stuff out there. It's almost a fad. What makes a good zombie story isn't the zombies, though. It's the people that are dealing with it, who they are, their interactions with each other, what they have to do to survive, how they cope with what they have to do and so on.

World War Z is actually on my list. I've read reviews and it seems to be written in a documentary style which is pretty intriguing to me. There's another I want to read, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies :lol That one sounds like a real gem!

Oh and I finished these books a while back and it's by far one of my favorite young adult series ever. It's definitely in my top 5, if not my top 3.

#10 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

The zombie has been done to death in my opinion. I watched an old black and white movie on them back when I was a kid and really didn't see the draw. Anyway, since I have caught quite a few movies with zombies making cameo appearances and in all of them, zombies were killed by shooting them in the head or by decapitating them. WHY? Apparently whatever the zombie needs is in the head. You separate it from the body, it kills them. Makes no sense. Staking vampires, now THAT makes sense.

#11 opal

opal

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Night of the Living Dead comes to mind everytime I think about Zombies. I just can't see the popularity of Zombies but like you, Kinser, my son loves them. I'll check it out to see if this is something he would like. Thanks BonnyC.

#12 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

The zombie has been done to death in my opinion. I watched an old black and white movie on them back when I was a kid and really didn't see the draw. Anyway, since I have caught quite a few movies with zombies making cameo appearances and in all of them, zombies were killed by shooting them in the head or by decapitating them. WHY? Apparently whatever the zombie needs is in the head. You separate it from the body, it kills them. Makes no sense. Staking vampires, now THAT makes sense.

I am a zombie fiction writer. I have three books in the works so far, although to be fair, only one of them really involves zombies. The second book involves worse monsters and the third book is a sort of post-apocalyptic/new world kind of deal. But overall, the series is going to be a horror/scifi/fantasy.

In my books, the zombies are alive because an alien robot has formed inside of the dead body. The center for this robot is the heart, so you can only kill my zombies by impaling them through the heart and taking out the "brain" of the robot. It's cool, because this way they can exist without heads!

Aside from my own writing, I love any other form of zombie fiction that I can get my hands on. I'm definitely going to check out Forest of Hands and Teeth, because this is the third or fourth time I've seen it mentioned somewhere in the last few months.

#13 almari011

almari011

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm a scaredy cat so I'm not fan of the zombies. :)) Anyways I don't like reading about them since it just gives me the goosebumps but I can tolerate watching them. I know I'm weird. I watch the Walking Dead and I don't know why I like it. :))

#14 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

The only reason I'd vote on the "hate em" side is because of the oversaturation of them. We've seen a bunch of movies based on them. And don't even get me started on the amount of video games based on them.

There is even a zombie series on Syfy riding the Walking Dead's fame.

The zombie use needs a break.

#15 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm not a zombie fan either. I feel like it's overdone and also super fake. I know movies and books are fiction however, I prefer my mystery or horror with a little suspense and intrigue. To me there's nothing intriguing about a zombie drooling on themselves.

#16 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

The only reason I'd vote on the "hate em" side is because of the oversaturation of them. We've seen a bunch of movies based on them. And don't even get me started on the amount of video games based on them.

There is even a zombie series on Syfy riding the Walking Dead's fame.

The zombie use needs a break.

Their popularity cycles in and out. People will always love them though. It's too awesome a concept not to love.

#17 chicken1empanada

chicken1empanada

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Love 'em. I've been a zombie fan since...I can't even remember. I actually don't mind being overexposed to them whether they appear in movies, TV, graphic novels, or video games. I don't know what it is about zombies that makes them appeal to me, but I do know that I love getting a good scare when watching them on TV or in movies. I'm about to begin reading World War Z myself. I've read good and interesting things about it, and I'd like to be prepared for when the film version comes out, too.

#18 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

I think people love them because we all secretly want to kill them and know that we aren't really taking a human life. At least for myself, part of the appeal of zombies would be getting to blow them away with a rocket launcher. :D

#19 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I am not a real huge fan of Zombie fiction. Although I do watch The Walking Dead, but I consider that to be more about the characters involved then about the Zombie's themselves. However, I have never been one to read books about Zombies. Nor have I ever had any desire to sit down to watch movies such as Night of the Living Dead.

#20 BlancaV

BlancaV

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I guess I'll be the voice of dissension here. I'm a HUGE zombie fan. Books, movies, you name it. 

The Forest of Hands and Teeth books are written from the viewpoint of three different people, in three different places/times. The first book features one character who is the adoptive mother of the girl featured in the second book and the third features yet another who is in contact with the sister of the main character of the second. There's also a prequel that explains more about how this world came to be. 

Other awesome zombie books include Warm Bodies and Married with Zombies, both of which are comedic takes on the zombie apocalypse.