• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm really not a fan of zombies, I'm probably the only person in this country who isn't obsessed with "The Walking Dead".  I agree zombies are simply a fad, and before them we were suffering through the vampire fad (Twilight, TV shows, Books, etc).  At least vampires were a little more attractive and easier to like, it's really hard to root for a zombie when you're reading a book or watching a movie.  "Warm Bodies" tried to make a romance with a zombie work, and it was kind of a flop. 

#22 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Personally, I've always had a thing for vampires. I've been into them for a while, way before they became the next big thing. The Lost boys and the original Fright Night movie were 2 of my favorite movies growing up. So when the whole craze started, I was fine with it. But the zombie thing has gotten way out of hand. It's everywhere now, Zombie parades, Zombie marathons, it's really crazy. I have to admit, I do like the Walking Dead, but I don't think it's the best show on television. i'm pretty sure the whole zombie thing will blow over soon, and the next big thing will probably be werewolves LOL

#23 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I am also someone who can take or leave zombie type stuff. I do like to watch The Walking Dead, but actually I like the show despite the zombies. In other words I prefer the human drama and the story of people trying to fight for survival. As far as zombie movies go, I have never been a fan of these. I have never sat through an entire Night of Living Dead film and I certainly have no desire to go see World War Z.

As for reading books about zombies. Once again I have never had any real desire to do so. I'm not really interested in even reading the comic books that inspired The Walking Dead TV Series.

Edited by pafjlh, 09 July 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#24 cjcassada

cjcassada

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

I've always been fascinated by ghosts, vampires, and werewolves. I love to read books on the subject and watch shows about them. As for the zombie craze, I haven't caught on to that yet. Usually, it takes a while before I become interested in something. Once the zombie frenzy dies down, that's probably when I'll become interested.

#25 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

I am not into the huge zombie craze everyone is into right now, funny how vampires are a thing of the past now and zombies are the new thing, I dont care for zombies. But I do love vampires! This soon too will become a thing of the past though, then there will be something else. Just another phase for a bunch of people.

#26 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have read my fair share of young adult paranormal fiction and I've liked a lot of it, loved some of it. I have found an awesome series by Carrie Ryan called The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's set many generations after the zombie apocalypse. It's classified as a young adult series, but I don't really think it's 'young' at all. Sure, there's a romance in the first book, which is the only one I've read so far, but it's not what the story is built around.

From what I can tell, each of the 3 books is a different story from a different perspective all set on the same world. I could be wrong, though. But, I highly recommend it!

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to read it. I will add it to my list of library books to read. I think some YA books are awesome and some of the topics go way over kid's heads. 

#27 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

I've never really been into the whole supernatural thing either. Sometimes I'll make an exception but as a general rule I try to avoid it. Zombies especially are overdone these days, even more overdone that vampires vs werewolves and that's saying something!

#28 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

Trust me OP, you are NOT the only one who couldn't care less about zombies. They do absolutely nothing for me. They aren't scary or entertaining lol. I gave The Walking Dead a try and after the first season I stopped watching it. Season 2 was just too much of a drag. Now there is this new show called In The Flesh. haven't heard too much about it though.

#29 VTEC 91244

VTEC 91244

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

It depends on how well it's done. It's hard to explain zombies, scientifically speaking, but they can provide a good background for other, more alive, characters to shine from.

Shaun of the Dead is one of my favorite Halloween movies, and I enjoyed watching the cutscenes of Lollypop Chainsaw. There was also this movie that had a character that looked like this guy from this video game. Both were in a situation where they had to fight zombies. Oh! And that House of the Dead: Overkill is fun.

The thought of where the legend actually came from, however, sickens me to the core. Those poor people, if what I read is actually true.

#30 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

Loved the movie Zombieland, loved the 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', did not watch Walking Dead. I am not zombie obsessed and I don't have a plan for the ZOmbie Apocalyspe, but I think that there are very interesting literary and entertainment ways of exploring the possibilities, and these monsters. I mean, there was this drug that caused the user to eat the face of his friend... Sounds like a possible trail to zombie-ism! It's fascinating in this way. I just did not come across the right exploration of it yet.

#31 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

I love zombies :lol:   I love watching and reading zombie themed movies and books! My favorite zombie graphic novel is the walking dead, yup, I first read the ''comic'' and then I started watching the TV show.  I totally loved that graphic novel, I still read every issue the same month it comes out, but I'm not sure if I like the comic more than the TV show!  Those two are a bit different, because the TV show is not an exact copy of the TV show, like for example the characters that never existed in the comic realm (Beth, Daryl, etc). 

#32 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

I am also someone who can take or leave zombie type stuff. I do like to watch The Walking Dead, but actually I like the show despite the zombies. In other words I prefer the human drama and the story of people trying to fight for survival. As far as zombie movies go, I have never been a fan of these. I have never sat through an entire Night of Living Dead film and I certainly have no desire to go see World War Z.

As for reading books about zombies. Once again I have never had any real desire to do so. I'm not really interested in even reading the comic books that inspired The Walking Dead TV Series.

The human drama is the main attractive to me when watching the walking dead!  Actually it's interesting to see how a group of humans fights to survive in a world plagued my a threat that seems impossible to beat!  Because zombies are everywhere and all those who die turn into one!  So the situations that arise from a situation like this are so darn interesting from an anthropological point of view!  But from all the disaster or pests they could have used for this purpose, I am actually glad it was zombies ;)  They couldn't have picked a better pest :P

Can't wait to watch the next episode of the walking dead!  I wonder how things will go in that new community (even tho I kinda know already because I did read the comic, lol, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they changed from the book), totally loved Aaron and Eric!

#33 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

I hate to admit it, but I've gotten to where I really enjoy Young Adult fiction.  The stories seem to be more original, and they actually get into the story and the plot and character development.  So many adult fiction today is just sex scenes and violence.  I haven't read the series that you mentioned, but I just put it on my list to look for at the library.

One series I really enjoyed was the series by Cassandra Claire, "The Infernal Devices".  It's set in Victorian England about a young girl who finds out that she can shapeshift.  She starts to see a world she never knew existed and she is taken in by the Shadowhunters, who fight vampires, werewolves and warlocks who are hurting mortals.  There's a second series, "The Mortal Instruments" that takes place in modern times, about the Shadowhunters.  Overall, they're really good and I highly recommend them.

#34 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

The adult fictions are getting to close to being romance novels for me.  So I'd have to agree with you @maladjusted.  I read mainly young adult books also.  Not to mention, the young adult section typically has the best selection for my favorite genre, scifi fantasy.  My favorite series to date (I've had many in the past) are The Mortal Instruments and The Divergent Series.  Yes, both were movies.  They are even better novels. 

#35 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

I hate to admit it, but I've gotten to where I really enjoy Young Adult fiction.  The stories seem to be more original, and they actually get into the story and the plot and character development.  So many adult fiction today is just sex scenes and violence.  I haven't read the series that you mentioned, but I just put it on my list to look for at the library.

One series I really enjoyed was the series by Cassandra Claire, "The Infernal Devices".  It's set in Victorian England about a young girl who finds out that she can shapeshift.  She starts to see a world she never knew existed and she is taken in by the Shadowhunters, who fight vampires, werewolves and warlocks who are hurting mortals.  There's a second series, "The Mortal Instruments" that takes place in modern times, about the Shadowhunters.  Overall, they're really good and I highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, I heard about that series, a girl wasn't very happy with Cassandra choices towards the end.  If I'm not mistaken.  I haven't checked it out, but I'll surely check it.  I'm not into adult fiction for the reasons you mentioned... too much sex and violence make me sick.  I actually love how they handle the whole stories and character development in young adult fiction... it is MUCH better.  They actually pay a lot attention to the development of the story and characters... instead of filling up the voids with vulgar sexual scenes.

#36 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

Vamps, werewolves, zombies. I like 'em all....depending. Zombies especially. For instance, World War Z? Nope. Dont like those at all. Those are NOT zombies.  lolol

#37 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, world war Z was such a disappointment.  Jesus, how ridiculous it was when the zombies piled up against that wall, then the other zombies started climbing. LOL, that was ridiculous!  I was laughing so hard. It was as if the writers couldn't think of a smarter and more logical way for the zombies to enter that place, so yes, they made it so the zombies could pile up on each other creating some sort of stairs?  Oh yeah, and that would happen the same day Brad Pit was there, yes, after many weeks surviving there very well and even foreseeing this... enough to build a tall wall. But then Brad comes in and bam!

God, movies like this make me wonder how stupid those writers think we are?  This kind of movies are getting more and more ridiculous! Like wow... just look at that pile of zombies.

#38 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

I am not a very big fan of Zombie books, I am more of a Zombies movies and tv shows.  There is something about watching them visually in action verses reading about them.  But I have to admit I read World War Z, the book based on the movie, and I thought it was awesome.  It has made me reconsider Zombie books and I may check out some of the ones mentioned here.

I think one of the reasons World War Z appealed to me is because it was like reading someones diary, the way it was written.  Rather then being a piece of fiction, it actually seemed real because of that.  It was as if I was reading a piece of someones historical documentation to an event that happened rather then a writers imagination.  It was very well written.

#39 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Trust me OP, you are NOT the only one who couldn't care less about zombies. They do absolutely nothing for me. They aren't scary or entertaining lol. I gave The Walking Dead a try and after the first season I stopped watching it. Season 2 was just too much of a drag. Now there is this new show called In The Flesh. haven't heard too much about it though.

This may be off-topic a little but ...  I, too, am not into zombies.  They are dumb creatures without any personality or character and the main objective is to see how many gruesome ways to kills them you can come up with.  However, I just started watching iZombie and absolutely love it.  It's not your typical zombie show.  The main character goes to a party and gets turned (it doesn't really show much about this).  Anyway, she was a doctor but is afraid of hurting people so she becomes a medical examiner.  The body of a murder victim comes in, and when she gets a craving - she takes a small bite of the brain.  This is when she discovers that she can see what the victim saw, and she takes on a little bit of the victims personality.  She helps the detective on the case, telling him she's a physic - and the two make a murder solving partnership.

The show is done in a humorous way, kind of comic book meets Castle.  It's really good, without all the blood and guts and endless slaughtering that you see in other zombie shows.

#40 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:10 AM

This may be off-topic a little but ...  I, too, am not into zombies.  They are dumb creatures without any personality or character and the main objective is to see how many gruesome ways to kills them you can come up with.  However, I just started watching iZombie and absolutely love it.  It's not your typical zombie show.  The main character goes to a party and gets turned (it doesn't really show much about this).  Anyway, she was a doctor but is afraid of hurting people so she becomes a medical examiner.  The body of a murder victim comes in, and when she gets a craving - she takes a small bite of the brain.  This is when she discovers that she can see what the victim saw, and she takes on a little bit of the victims personality.  She helps the detective on the case, telling him she's a physic - and the two make a murder solving partnership.

The show is done in a humorous way, kind of comic book meets Castle.  It's really good, without all the blood and guts and endless slaughtering that you see in other zombie shows.

Okay...Idk what I was watching that had the iZombie logo show up as coming up next but I didnt watch it.  All I thought was "iZombie? Curiois title."  After reading your post I may check it out.