• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#1 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I am not a huge fan of reality TV because none of it is truly real. It may not be scripted but the players and the results are manipulated in such a way that they might as well be. Take Celebrity Apprentice for instance, I don't think any of those ladies is really that catty in real life. They are being pitted against each other in strenuous circumstances and it comes out on camera. How "real" do you think it is?

#2 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

They aren't real. Far from it

Is there anyone who watches these shows who is under the illusion that they are.

The ones I do watch are purely for the entertainment factor

#3 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

This is exactly the same way I view reality TV shows. They have a script and everything, they are set up in certain situations, and there is no improptu. None of it at all is what is actually happening, the writers made it up. Not real.

#4 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I disagree to a point, I don't believe it's 100% real, but I also don't believe it's 100% fake either. I think it's more like they meet at the day of the shooting and then given the theme of the show of the day and then it becomes a case of making it work. I do believe a lot of it is edited out and perhaps manipulated on the cutting room floor and maybe reworked but as for a full blown reality show where a camera follows their every move? nope, but neither do I believe it's 100% scripted like a sitcom.

#5 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Agree with you CAMom50, even the scripted shows have candid moments

I am well aware that the Reality shows I watch are not what they are promoting it to be but it doesn't make me enjoy them any less. If anything I feel insulted that they expect me to buy that they are real

#6 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I was channel flipping looking for something to watch on a Saturday afternoon, bored silly, and happened on a special report, so naturally I watched it. It looked legit down to the anchor's suit and tie, he goes into the report about finding some such thing about food and announced his guest who then went into great detail about this finding. I watched about 10 or so minutes and at no time did I question what I was watching until they whipped out the product. A groaner to be sure.

Now I am skeptical of whatever claims to be or looks real because too often to make a buck reality is the buzz word in sales and if it resembles the real thing, they'll use it to sell their snake potions and oils. I assume its the same for so called reality shows. What they're selling though is more subtle then the latest potion, pill or scam.

#7 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Those so-called special report infomercials are the worst offenders for making a reality out of something obviously scripted and badly at best. No one gets that excited over a bottle of pills or how absorbent something is. You know the singers (those that praise the product) are paid. I wouldn't doubt the reality show participants are paid as well as is half the talk show guests. Few things on TV are real anyway.

#8 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Nothing on TV is real and these so called reality shows are just to make fools out of us (the viewers). All the fights and dramas are scripted and well rehearsed so that it looks real on camera.

Shame on you reality TV.

#9 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Even Talk shows have a rough script. Candid moments are few and far between even with Reality TV

Knowing this, I watch them anyway

#10 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

I agree that there is a script but some of the fights and abuses that I have seen in different shows does not give the feeling of being rehearsed.

Are you absolutely sure that none of it is real??? I enjoy watching them knowing that there is still a bit of mystery.

#11 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I had a grandpa (God rest his soul) that enjoyed watching wrestling on tv and swore it was real. It's not, it's choreographed and poorly. You can see talk shows like Springer has the same type of set up, it's all play and all for the show. If you ever need to tell the difference, think: When was the last time you saw a real fight and there wasn't blood everywhere when the fists were flying and someone got smacked in the face or at least a red mark from the slap?

#12 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I had a grandpa (God rest his soul) that enjoyed watching wrestling on tv and swore it was real. It's not, it's choreographed and poorly. You can see talk shows like Springer has the same type of set up, it's all play and all for the show. If you ever need to tell the difference, think: When was the last time you saw a real fight and there wasn't blood everywhere when the fists were flying and someone got smacked in the face or at least a red mark from the slap?

The only reality wrestling you'll see that real is in high school and college sporting arenas. What's shown isn't wrestling anyway. Not sure what it is, but wrestling it isn't at least until the very end when the "opponent" is "pinned" and the only winners here are the wrestlers and their managers that walk away with our cash. The watching public pays to hear the crappy writing provided between back slaps with an aluminum chair (among other props). Never ends with someone bleeding or worse. Now boxing is pretty hard to fake, those bruises, fat lips and near fatal concussions aren't the work of make up artists.

#13 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Of course reality tv isn't completely candid. Sometimes the conversations are so obviously prompted by producers that it makes me groan. That said, I enjoy the format anyway.

#14 CarbonKid

CarbonKid

Shy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

First off, I would like to start off by saying that I am not (and never have been) a fan of this show. I am merely eager to hear what other people have to say about it. I have caught bits and pieces when browsing late night, one of those nights when you can't sleep and the television is your friend, and watched a few minutes here or there. I have heard a lot of discussion going on about how "real" this reality television show is. Personally, I do not think the show is supposed to be reality, but more so making fun of reality shows. If you think of it this way, it's how a mock-umentary makes fun of particular documentary. I do not see it as being particularly realistic, however I do not really party or anything of that nature, so maybe my point of view is slightly tilted.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it's staged? Is it possible these guys and gals truly act like that?

I hope I am not hated for mentioning this show, haha. I know a lot of people are not fans of the show, but I was merely curious . :$

#15 CarbonKid

CarbonKid

Shy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I do find it hard to truly believe that most, if not all, reality television shows are reality. It seems that life for people involved in reality shows is the same, even though you are supposed to be watching to completely different shows. I think that the fascination (or even the slightest interest) with reality shows lie within the "train wreck that I cannot turn away from" mentality. You know that what you are seeing or hearing was MEANT to happen, but you are somewhat fascinated by it nonetheless.

#16 beastsbeauty

beastsbeauty

Cordial

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Well, call me a sucker. I think reality shows are very real. Yes, there is producer input and yes there are edits, but most of the time I don't think there is a script. If there is, it's a very horrible and poorly written script. There are some things so drastic, outrageous, and ridiculous they couldn't be scripted.

#17 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I fall for the Reality shows myself, especially the court ones like Judge Judy, People's Court, Judge Alex and Divorce Court, those I know are real, I cannot imagine Judge Judy or her husband Judge Jerry (when he was on the bench in People's Court before the current one took over) being fake or their show fake or not reality TV material. I am not so sure about Gloria Allred's new court drama "We The People" where she plays a judge (she's not a real one) is considered Reality, it's more entertainment and while the litigants might be real, I'm not sure about whether or not the rulings she hands down is enforceable like they ordinarily would be from an actual judge.

#18 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think that even if they are "real," they turn out far from it by the time the footage gets to the screen because of all the crafty editing that gets done. When you think about it, they can mislead you and make things look like one thing is happening when it isn't.

I sometimes like reality TV for entertainment, but I have learned that I just have to take it with a grain of salt. Even House Hunters on HGTV is partly a sham I've heard because the people have actually already picked out the house they want and signed papers while they're doing all the "looking" that goes on on the show. It's just for entertainment.

#19 MirandaG

MirandaG

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think that even if they are "real," they turn out far from it by the time the footage gets to the screen because of all the crafty editing that gets done. When you think about it, they can mislead you and make things look like one thing is happening when it isn't.

I sometimes like reality TV for entertainment, but I have learned that I just have to take it with a grain of salt. Even House Hunters on HGTV is partly a sham I've heard because the people have actually already picked out the house they want and signed papers while they're doing all the "looking" that goes on on the show. It's just for entertainment.

That is disappointing Anna T...I love House Hunters and now feel cheated if they already chose the place they wanted! Not that it really changes anything. lol.

#20 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I am not a huge fan of reality TV because none of it is truly real. It may not be scripted but the players and the results are manipulated in such a way that they might as well be. Take Celebrity Apprentice for instance, I don't think any of those ladies is really that catty in real life. They are being pitted against each other in strenuous circumstances and it comes out on camera. How "real" do you think it is?

I totally agree with you. The phrase "reality t.v." is a misnomer because there is nothing about it that is real. I said that when Survivor first aired, and it's only gotten worse with time. It may be entertaining to some, but it's definitely all staged. Can you tell I'm not a fan? :lol