• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#21 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I think that even if they are "real," they turn out far from it by the time the footage gets to the screen because of all the crafty editing that gets done. When you think about it, they can mislead you and make things look like one thing is happening when it isn't.

I sometimes like reality TV for entertainment, but I have learned that I just have to take it with a grain of salt. Even House Hunters on HGTV is partly a sham I've heard because the people have actually already picked out the house they want and signed papers while they're doing all the "looking" that goes on on the show. It's just for entertainment.

That is disappointing Anna T...I love House Hunters and now feel cheated if they already chose the place they wanted! Not that it really changes anything. lol.

One person actually told me this so I'm hoping it's not true! I agree ... takes so much away from it if it is. But what I was told was that they basically look at the house they chose and also two other comparable houses that they might have or were also considering, pointing out the flaws, etc.

#22 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Is Hoarding... Buried Alive considered a reality show? If so, I do watch that one. I just can't look away. I think those are definitely real people with real problems (although some of the script might be staged).

#23 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well, call me a sucker. I think reality shows are very real. Yes, there is producer input and yes there are edits, but most of the time I don't think there is a script. If there is, it's a very horrible and poorly written script. There are some things so drastic, outrageous, and ridiculous they couldn't be scripted.

Sucker :lol

You are the first person I've met who believes reality shows are real

Hoarding is just nasty. Those people make my skin crawl

#24 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well, call me a sucker. I think reality shows are very real. Yes, there is producer input and yes there are edits, but most of the time I don't think there is a script. If there is, it's a very horrible and poorly written script. There are some things so drastic, outrageous, and ridiculous they couldn't be scripted.

Sucker :lol

You are the first person I've met who believes reality shows are real

Hoarding is just nasty. Those people make my skin crawl

I know :lol ! I'm the very opposite - I'm a clean freak and am often accused of throwing away too much. So I just don't get those hoarders - epecially the ones who not only live in clutter, but filth. The one I saw last night just made me want to vomit.

#25 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I've never seen Hoarders, but I've heard enough about it to not want to. I really don't understand how anyone can be OK with living like that, and I think it's awfully sad :( You would have to be miserable to live that way.

I'm by no means a clean freak, but at the same time when things start feeling "cluttered" around my house, I'm pretty much ready to do some serious cleaning out. My philosophy is that unless it's a sentimental item, if you haven't used or needed it in two or three years, you're probably never going to so you should donate it or trash it.

#26 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I get enough "reality" in my real life. I think that most of these shows are scripted and manipulated to at least some degree. With the exception of a couple of shows that are really just like watching a train wreck I usually avoid "reality" shows.

#27 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think that even if they are "real," they turn out far from it by the time the footage gets to the screen because of all the crafty editing that gets done. When you think about it, they can mislead you and make things look like one thing is happening when it isn't.

I sometimes like reality TV for entertainment, but I have learned that I just have to take it with a grain of salt. Even House Hunters on HGTV is partly a sham I've heard because the people have actually already picked out the house they want and signed papers while they're doing all the "looking" that goes on on the show. It's just for entertainment.

That is disappointing Anna T...I love House Hunters and now feel cheated if they already chose the place they wanted! Not that it really changes anything. lol.

One person actually told me this so I'm hoping it's not true! I agree ... takes so much away from it if it is. But what I was told was that they basically look at the house they chose and also two other comparable houses that they might have or were also considering, pointing out the flaws, etc.

OK playing the devil's advocate here but, say you had those people on House Hunters checking out a nice house but because of credit issues or the escrow tanks because the former owners wanted the home back or their loan fell through. Yes, it's real but, there should be a limit to what is considered "entertainment" where someone is embarrassed on national TV. I can see why in this show you'd want the papers signed before it airs.

#28 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I started a Jeremy Kyle thread already under Talk Shows. But since you ask if it's real I think the mods have decided to keep this here. As for real or not, there were times I thought like a badly choreographed version of the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) match, it was all scripted complete with hitting at times (no blood or even a red mark-a dead giveaway) but strewn in just to call it reality tv, you have a few unscripted episodes.

#29 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

OK playing the devil's advocate here but, say you had those people on House Hunters checking out a nice house but because of credit issues or the escrow tanks because the former owners wanted the home back or their loan fell through. Yes, it's real but, there should be a limit to what is considered "entertainment" where someone is embarrassed on national TV. I can see why in this show you'd want the papers signed before it airs.

I do see what you are saying ... but at the same time, knowing this takes a little of the fun out of it. I wish I could go on, perfectly happy watching the show without that knowledge. It's more "fun" to imagine that the people on the show are actually trying to decide between these three houses. I can't watch anymore in the same way (though I still watch!)

But it makes me wonder how many of these other HGTV shows are more fake than real. Like the ones where they do up a room in a house or a whole house? And that Love It or List It one ... I have my suspicions now on that one too.

#30 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

I had to stop watching behind the scenes on the DVDs on the shows and movies I bought (or rented) just because of that fact. It sucks the mystery out of it. I know in the back of my head, for example of the possibility that the fantasy I am watching isn't true to life but, once you view the how it was made through interviews and the process, it just loses the mystery of the fantasy and then it's like "who cares?" when it comes to watching it again or when sequels are made. I think you can easily work to regain that "innocence" you had for these shows by simply ignoring what you saw as a possibility rather than fact, like a rumor. This usually helps me if I am accidentally exposed to a behind the scene clip after the show ended (sort of like a blooper or out take) and either I didn't switch the channel fast enough or sat through the credits for the next show on the same channel.

#31 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Oddly enough, I just wrote a hub about this on HubPages but I was focusing on Big Brother. It's the only reality show I'm willing to watch because, if you subscribe to the live feeds, you actually can see what they're doing all of the time. You can watch them on the cameras. It's so funny! Plus, there's Big Brother After Dark, which is shown on Showtime. It's 3 hours of the live feeds.

Now *that* is reality. Or as close as you're getting.

#32 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think that "reality TV" is a phrase that was created to attract people to watch it. It was XXI century fashion to do the shows that presents the "truth" and "real" world, people and what they do in every day life. It was more of the marketing strategy to bring people in front of their TV rather then to show the legit, real world as it is. Nevertheless, people loved it! I guess they did because we all like to watch other people in a different situation that we are all in. I still remember the shows that were highly successful few years ago, which were called a "reality shows" even tho everybody knew they are not.

#33 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Now *that* is reality. Or as close as you're getting.

Glass promises to be too!

Lets watch! :lol

#34 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Pretty much following along with everyone else, Reality TV is just a title, not a description. While it follows "unscripted" (usually at least) people who are not actors, that is as close as it is going to get to reality. With the heavy editing and the constant pushing the producers do on the contestants/participants to produce some sort of drama, the events you see on TV are nearly as artificial as any scripted program.

#35 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

I would say that like "Jersey Shore" and shows like that may be scripted out. But say "Gene Simmons Family Jewels" may not be. I can not see Gene with his busy schedule having time to read a script.

#36 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

I figured there must be something phony about House Hunters because there is no way real people are guaranteed to get the first home they pick on the first try. All the people get the houses they want. I haven't heard once that someone chose house #1, but oh-oh, found out too late that somebody else grabbed it while they were going through #2 and #3. Also, all the partners magically agree with each other about which house they want.

But I like going through other people's homes both in different cities and different countries, so I'm okay with it.

As for the rest of the reality shows, from what I understand the reality show producers pick people who are likely to clash and then they foment intrigue between them. Apparently the people do create their own dialogue and their own impressions much of the time.

I mean how many of those women, who fall in love with those Bachelors can we believe? Everyone desperately wants to marry him? It's even less believable with men who go after the Bachelorettes. I've never met a man who was weepy after a woman and passively hoping that she will choose him out of a bunch of men. I don't think any man, even in this age, would allow a woman to have that much power over him. :frawn

#37 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

OK I have to say it because I'll burst if I don't. This whole Bachelor thing is nothing more than a man who is conceited, couldn't get any if he was the last man on earth and one who needs to use this type of set up to be surrounded by females like a sheik with a harem. Anyone who thinks it's all innocent and that nothing remotely naughty is happening behind those closed doors is living in a fantasy world where unicorns belch rainbows.

#38 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Reality show is just a title that they put on a show to pull in viewers in my opinion. I've seen so many shows that when they went in

depth on one particular person on the show, they were quick to denounce claims that they really 'like the person' you see them

portray. I've heard people say that Jessica Simpson is actually really smart, but that whole, licking the seat on the short bus

is it chicken or tuna act she put one was exactly that; an act. So I stopped watching reality tv shows. I can vaguely remember

when American Idol first came out, supposedly there was some couple who 'cheated' somehow, via the voting so that in the

end the odds were for Kelly Clarkson. I figure, hey, if I wanna see sensationalized stories with absolutely no hint of the truth,

I'll watch MSNBC.

#39 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

OK I have to say it because I'll burst if I don't. This whole Bachelor thing is nothing more than a man who is conceited, couldn't get any if he was the last man on earth and one who needs to use this type of set up to be surrounded by females like a sheik with a harem. Anyone who thinks it's all innocent and that nothing remotely naughty is happening behind those closed doors is living in a fantasy world where unicorns belch rainbows.

I think what is intended for us to believe and what actually happens are different. Movies have been using the "pan to the drapes" move when a couple is about to have relations. That's nothing new. This idea that they use the female (or male) entering the other male's (or female's) room then closing the door only gives the impression they're sleeping together, but it wouldn't hold up in court as proof of infidelity, for example, more proof is required. Sometimes though, it's effective just to hint at it in some shows. This being one of them.

#40 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Pretty much following along with everyone else, Reality TV is just a title, not a description. While it follows "unscripted" (usually at least) people who are not actors, that is as close as it is going to get to reality. With the heavy editing and the constant pushing the producers do on the contestants/participants to produce some sort of drama, the events you see on TV are nearly as artificial as any scripted program.

Maybe what makes it Reality is the fact they're using every day people versus paid professional Actors and Actresses. You wouldn't expect to see top name brand actors acting the part of a bricklayer (for example) who won a slot on a reality show on bricklayers. There are instances like Trump's Celebrity Apprentice program but we all know that's not considered Reality, it's more like an orgy of celebrities trying to one up each other; and not to say you don't have celebrities that are as we see them on TV, just that they're so used to acting in front of the camera, it's hard to tell if they are as they appear OR acting. :ninja .