• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#41 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think reality shows came about because it was a way around having to pay such high salaries to actors and actresses. Remember all those fights the "Friends" cast had about the amounts of money they received? It amounted to millions per actor. No wonder they went to the unknowns. They came cheap.

#42 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't think that Reality TV is fake. Sure some of it might be but most of it not. I don't like how Jeff Probst talks all the time at tribal council. I think he gets people to change their votes by the questions he asks. I think most other Reality TV is pretty real.

#43 Techy855

Techy855

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

I am not sure how you can say that CSINY. I mean, sure in many cases what the people are doing is genuine (but not all, some of these shows are scripted), but they shoot hundreds of hours and edit it down in a way to make people look this way or that. They do not offer unbiased, balanced editing because that would be boring.

And its more then just the order they put stuff in. Many times you have these dramatic moments where someone does something, and other people exchange looks, those "exchanged looks" happened on different days or time from whatever action it is being played against. somtimes they put "off camera" talking over stuff that wasn't happening at the same time.

Reality TV plays really fast and loose with the truth.

#44 Dindee

Dindee

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Reality TV is not real but networks and TV producers make millions out of it and that is the reality of it. I'm a fan of Man VS Wild but many of the scenes were edited but it is still a good show for me.

#45 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

I thought there used to be some rules regarding fixed game shows. I'm sure there still are. It looks like they should apply some of the rules to some of these "fixed" reality shows. Some of them really are manipulated by the producers, I think. The first ones that come to mind are those millionaire boss shows and the like. The people have to know since the plots are always so template-produced.

#46 Zynoa

Zynoa

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Who is going to watch Reality TV if it's boring? Nobody. So yes, it's staged. Ratings are what it's all about. I recently started watching Mob Wives. No one can tell me that show is not staged. I don't think there is a person alive that can act that crazy and ridiculous in real life. Unless, of course, they are one pickle short of the pickle jar.

#47 pinetree

pinetree

Noob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Although they're not scripted, I'm sure it's staged at least to a certain extent. For instance, '19 Kids and Counting', you never, ever see any of those children misbehave. I'm sure they do at some point. The house is almost always spotless. Of course, this could be a result of creative editing as well. I was highly disturbed by the previews of the new season when they talked about the upcoming ultrasound of the baby when everyone knew what would happen.

I do my best not to watch reality TV, but I do like Cops. :) But any of the 'Housewives' shows, 'Teen Mom' shows or pageant shows aren't worth my time.

#48 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Of course their kids misbehave sometimes, but their house probably is always spotless. You can't run a family of that size efficiently without everyone doing their part to keep it picked up. I am sure there are countless hours of footage that are filmed that are just edited out later. If I want to watch a kid pitch a fit I don't need a tv for that! :)

#49 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Of course some of it is scripted or if not scripted, some situations are encouraged. I agree with Sensa about the Duggars too. I am sure those kids get into trouble sometimes just like every other kid on the planet. That doesn't necessarily make for good tv though. :)

#50 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I was hoping to find a topic like this because I just found a new abomination of a "reality" show called Breaking Amish.

Something seemed fishy the entire time. I have met a few Amish/Mennonites and they all have weird accents because many of them still speak Pennsylvania Dutch but yet none of these people do? I did some research and they all left the communities a while back yet the show is portraying these people as leaving their communities for the first time.

Two of them married each other, had a kid, and got divorced but they show them meeting for the "first" time. Another girl has modeling photos on the internet and one of them has pictures of her on Facebook. How the hell?!?!

#51 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

I like some of the reality shows now but not the catfight/spoiled brat/housewives type shows. I like Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, Storage Wars, Storage Wars Texas and Storage Hunters. Gotta' love a show about Texas with a guy named Bubba, right?

#52 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hmm... Drunken even knowing that the whole show is set up to be fake I will probably have to check that one out. The Amish have always intrigued me, and we have seen quite a few very interesting documentaries about them. I believe one of them was called the Devil's Playground.

#53 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hmm... Drunken even knowing that the whole show is set up to be fake I will probably have to check that one out. The Amish have always intrigued me, and we have seen quite a few very interesting documentaries about them. I believe one of them was called the Devil's Playground.

You can watch a lot of other programs if you want to get insight on the Amish/Mennonite life. These kids were all removed from their communities years ago and have since married, had children, dated, got drunk, and posted it all on Facebook. They are barely a representation of the way of life they grew up with and offer no true insight.

#54 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I just think that it might be interesting. We have actually seen a lot of documentaries on the Amish and I guess that is part of why we are so fascinated with them.

#55 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

I just think that it might be interesting. We have actually seen a lot of documentaries on the Amish and I guess that is part of why we are so fascinated with them.

I guess I don't see how it can be interesting, especially after I watched the first episode and then learned about the lies. What about it would interest you?

They aren't portraying 5 teens that left the community and adapted to life in the outside world...they are all dressed like they just walked off the farm and pretend to be mesmerized by elevators and ipods, yet they all have Facebook accounts and such. I can't imagine how interesting it is to be lied to about fresh faces leaving the community to try life in the real world when they have been away for a long time.

#56 workhomeunion

workhomeunion

Cordial

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

The Reality Shows are scripted, with only about 20% (in my opinion) being real. Take one of the more popular shows, "The Kardashians," I think this particular family is so vain they just might be that pretentious in real life, especially ALL OF THEM. I mean, look at Bruce Jenner, Mr. Decathlete, why in the world does he have his eyebrows arched? Also, it's obvious he's had a few face-lifts, and he's starting to look a bit like Joan Rivers.

However, as much as I hate to admit, I do watch the show from time to time but never in its entirety. I'll watch 5-10 minutes, while channel surfing. Once a commercial comes on, it's on to something else.

"Basketball Wives" is the biggest joke on TV, even for reality television. First of all, the name is incorrect, it should be called "ex-basketball wives" because none of the women are still married to, or still dating the NBA player she was once associated with. It's also obvious that 98% of the women that appear on the show are major Gold Diggers and have absolutely no shame in this fact.

Why Chad Johnson (formerly Chad Ochocinco) would marry Evelyn Lozado (marriage lasted for 1 month) is a total mystery. Anyway, I am not a fan of the show, only mention it to say that those women do live in a fantasy/reality type world, replete with drama.

#57 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I am not a huge fan of reality TV because none of it is truly real. It may not be scripted but the players and the results are manipulated in such a way that they might as well be. Take Celebrity Apprentice for instance, I don't think any of those ladies is really that catty in real life. They are being pitted against each other in strenuous circumstances and it comes out on camera. How "real" do you think it is?

I understand what you are saying too. I think it's more like 50% reality TV. The only thing that is real are the people's characteristics and personas however the situations are either set up at times or escalated and blown out of proportion for drama factor and ratings on TV.

#58 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

"Basketball Wives" is the biggest joke on TV, even for reality television. First of all, the name is incorrect, it should be called "ex-basketball wives" because none of the women are still married to, or still dating the NBA player she was once associated with. It's also obvious that 98% of the women that appear on the show are major Gold Diggers and have absolutely no shame in this fact.

I am a reality junkie. I watch most of the CBS reality shows and 90% of the Real Housewives but I draw the line at shows like Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore and Basketball Wives. There is only so much trashy TV one should subject themselves to.

Not all reality shows are trash, The Amazing Race and Survivor provide some of the best hour on television. And there are educational benefits from watching those shows

It is sad that the afore mentioned shows give the genre a bad reputation

#59 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Oh it's real. Ever watch "South Beach Tow"? Those people may seem like actors but they aren't. Those folks are REAL MIAMIANS. Sadly.

#60 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I am not a huge fan of reality TV because none of it is truly real. It may not be scripted but the players and the results are manipulated in such a way that they might as well be. Take Celebrity Apprentice for instance, I don't think any of those ladies is really that catty in real life. They are being pitted against each other in strenuous circumstances and it comes out on camera. How "real" do you think it is?

Unpopular opinion, hardly. I think you'll find more people here will agree with what you said than you realize. Myself included. And the sad part about "reality" tv is that it's scripted. People are paid to act and say certain things. Not to mention scenarios are set. I just feel sorry for all the people that are naive enough to thing reality tv is actually real.