• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

I used to LOVE Buffy The Vampire slayer when I was younger. I have always been fascinated by vampires and that show aired and gave me something to tune into, which was cool. I also had a massive crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar. should have realized that I was gay then, right? lol. As far as the Angel series goes, I never really liked it too much. My sister once bought a magazine from a shop and with it came a free Angel book. Enough said lol.

It's weird when it comes to Angel. He was amazingly interesting in the Buffy series, but then he was sort of just toned down on his own show, most especially in the early episodes, though it did pick up after awhile when they kicked off the story arc centering around Angel and Darla. I liked his show, but Buffy is certainly a better choice to watch. Also, whatever happened to that Angel book of yours?

I loved Angel but the I disregard the show as canon. It was a lucky fantic writer's alternate universe.

There is no way Angel had a son with Cordelia. Blech.

I think the writers allowed David to "infect" Angel. All of a sudden, Angel was goofy...it was really out of character.

Connor was awful. They were starting to bring it back together (Lindsey coming back, etc) and then it was cancelled. So sad it went out the way it did b/c there were arcs that were great, but yeah, much of it was just not great. It got lost b/c Joss had BtVS and Firefly going on throughout the run. 

#42 saragoose

saragoose

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm so overdue for a rewatch of Buffy! It's been a while since I've seen any episodes, but for a while there I was on a fairly regular re-watch. As in any time I saw an episode on, I'd rewatch it! 

I think my favourites are the musical one and Hush. And if I'm in need of a good cry, The Body will do it every time! So fun to have people to chat old shows with. 

#43 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Several months ago, I went back and revisited the entire series, back to back, and I was reminded why I thought it was an awesome series, even more than my initial opinion on it. 1990's were wonderful and Xena and Buffy were my female heroines of that decade on television. I particularly liked seasons 2-5 in the Buffy series and the development of the characters were superb for the most part. The stories were very good, but they started to get fussy after the Dawn chapter which was around season 6. Still though, a great show while it lasted.

#44 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

I used to LOVE Buffy The Vampire slayer when I was younger. I have always been fascinated by vampires and that show aired and gave me something to tune into, which was cool. I also had a massive crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar. should have realized that I was gay then, right? lol. As far as the Angel series goes, I never really liked it too much. My sister once bought a magazine from a shop and with it came a free Angel book. Enough said lol.

#45 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

It's weird when it comes to Angel. He was amazingly interesting in the Buffy series, but then he was sort of just toned down on his own show, most especially in the early episodes, though it did pick up after awhile when they kicked off the story arc centering around Angel and Darla. I liked his show, but Buffy is certainly a better choice to watch. Also, whatever happened to that Angel book of yours?

Edited by Phoenix360, 11 September 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#46 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

I loved Angel but the I disregard the show as canon. It was a lucky fantic writer's alternate universe.

#47 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

Lol. I have absolutely no idea what happened to the book. We have since moved house and there is still a lot of things to be unpacked from the garage. They have been there for almost five years now, because no one can be bothered to unpack and throw out things, or find a home for things. I will tell you; I do not miss that Angel book lol. I thought Angel had a massive head and that made him unappealing to me lol. Call me shallow :P

#48 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

I've watched both Buffy and Angel at least half a dozen times each. 

I actually preferred Angel in his own show, in Buffy I didn't find him all that interesting. It makes sense, because her coming of age story made him redundant pretty quickly. But on Angel he got a new story, and I'm a sucker for a redemption story :)

#49 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I liked watching Angel, and I actually watched it for a while, specilly seeing Buffy wasn't going to be aired anymore back then.  I always preferred Buffy tho, the themes of that TV show were kinda dark.  I always loved that!  Angel felt more like a lighter show, it had some dark themes, but could never match Buffy in that aspect.  Buffy in other words shocked me, but Angel rarely did.

It was nice seeing him on his own show tho. I loved the fact we could see Cordelia and Wesley. There were a lot comedy moments in that show... the comedy moments on Buffy were a bit more different tho. I saw Angel more like a family TV show with a very interesting theme.  I loved to see characters like Cordelia Chase grow tho, it was an interesting chance considering she was a spoiled brat on  Buffy.  Very interesting!  Too bad the show was alive for just 5 seasons.  Buffy lasted 7 seasons... 7 glorious seasons!  Too bad they no longer air neither Buffy nor Angel over here :(

#50 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

So weird to find this thread. This weekend I ran a crossed some Buffy the Vampire Slayer Collectables and I was thinking how much I enjoyed this show. they had this one statue of Willow all in Evil Willow mode, it was actually quite good. I am over due on watching some of the episode, I know it was a long time ago but it was just one of those shows that really was that good.  I liked Drusilla as a character, she was a good counter to spike. Spike had a way of being one of the most loveable bad guys. You don't get many characters that can do convoluted evil as good as he did it. It was believable.  Maybe for my holiday off I will do  a Buffy Marathon, or Miami Vice :wub:

#51 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

I see Dawn as the producers way of trying to drive on the show. By that point, Joss had left and they had really mined most of the stuff the could get out of the original gang. They needed to add a new element to drive character interaction, and honestly buffy had been through so many boyfriends and there had already been 2 other slayers that those conciets were also played out. An since they had a new baddy every season more or less, that wasn't going to help either.

I am not sure she worked, but it was an interesting angle.

Wait, what? Joss did not leave. I mean, The Body is like, his masterpiece episode of television in that very season Dawn had came! He might have gotten less involved, but he for sure did not leave.

I love Buffy, every part of it. I love how I can just pop in one of my Buffy DVDs for a rewatch anytime -- season 3 and 5 are big favorites on this point, too. I remember how back then, I ran through a complete season in the matter of days, hooked on for more! I love Angel the Series, did not like the character of Angel on Buffy, though. Too dark and broody. On his own show, he becomes more interesting, with his silly sides and all! (And I need you to stay oh Mandyyyyy)

#52 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

I think the writers allowed David to "infect" Angel. All of a sudden, Angel was goofy...it was really out of character.

Connor was awful. They were starting to bring it back together (Lindsey coming back, etc) and then it was cancelled. So sad it went out the way it did b/c there were arcs that were great, but yeah, much of it was just not great. It got lost b/c Joss had BtVS and Firefly going on throughout the run. 

I think the goofy part fleshed him out more and allowed him to step outside of Buffy's shadow -- both the woman and the show. It made more sense, it made him a bit more human rather than a hero of the night, which is the complete point of Angel the Series and why Doyle ever came to him. To reconnect to humans and not fade away in the darkness. It allowed him to build his own group, friends gravitating around him and poking fun at him sometimes but mostly having his back.

Season 4 was awful, but Connor as a baby was not as horrible as you guys make it sound. And, he did not have it with Cordelia. Whatever. Angel was at his best on his own show, as far as I'm concerned.

#53 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

So weird to find this thread. This weekend I ran a crossed some Buffy the Vampire Slayer Collectables and I was thinking how much I enjoyed this show. they had this one statue of Willow all in Evil Willow mode, it was actually quite good. I am over due on watching some of the episode, I know it was a long time ago but it was just one of those shows that really was that good.  I liked Drusilla as a character, she was a good counter to spike. Spike had a way of being one of the most loveable bad guys. You don't get many characters that can do convoluted evil as good as he did it. It was believable.  Maybe for my holiday off I will do  a Buffy Marathon, or Miami Vice :wub:

I hear ya! I loved Spike!  I always thought he was so hot,  he was an enemy at first, and he did it very well! I liked how things went with Buffy, with him falling in love with her and so on!  It was awesome!  Plus I always thought he was believable, what I liked the most is the fact that once he became a good guy the character didn't turn into a really cheesy one... just like the characters in a very famous vampire show for teens did :P  Spike will always be my fav character in that show!  I need to watch Buffy again!

#54 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

I use to watch both Buffy and Angel especially in their earlier seasons.  On Buffy I liked the episodes where she was in high school dealing with the fact that she was a teenage vampire slayer.  I liked her relationship with Angel.  I wasn't too thrilled when Angel turned dark and became her nemeisis.  But then I guess this was kind of a prelude to him leaving Buffy behind to go to Las Angeles, because when he did manage to get his soul back he had much guilt to deal with so he left to find atonement on his own.  The show continued without him and at first I wasn't too keen on the whole Spike and Buffy thing but over time the actors did sort of sell it to me, mind you I said sort of, I still wasn't too sure about that pairing and apparently the writers weren't either since it never did really amount to much.

As for Angel, I liked the earlier seasons with Cordelia and Wesley as his side kicks with him running a Private Investigator firm.  We saw Cordelia grow first on Buffy where she was really vain and shallow to begin with but started teaming up with Buffy's gang when she realized the threats aroud her, to followig Angel to Las Angeles the working for him.  Was I always in favor of their romance, well not really but if I couldn't have him with Buffy because at that time the shows were on two separate networks then I would settle for him with Cordelia instead since there was proper build up.  But then the actress opted to leave the show and she was killed off.  Wesley was written out well before this, then we had Angel with a bunch of new side kicks and the show started to lose appeal for me and I stopped watching at that point.

#55 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

Ah, I had no idea they killed her off in Angel!  To be honest I stopped watching Angel before that even happen, I think the last episode I watched was that one where his son showed up.  I really liked the first seasons of Angel, it's a pity thing couldn't continue the way they were! I really like that episode in which Cordelia meets a handsome stranger, they have a one night stand and the next day she wakes up pregnant... I was like... whaaaaat!?  Gosh, I was so little back then, so nearly everything shocked me, heheh, that wasn't the exception!  

So I truly enjoyed watching Angel and Buffy... I liked the atmosphere of Angel at first, loved it fact it was so different from Buffy!  So I didn't feel like I was watching the same TV show! I thought I'd feel that way at first because Angel was just an extension of Buffy that became a show of its own. The joy of coming back home and find those two shows on TV... one after another.  Good days...