• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

I wasn't a big Patricia Heaton fan while she was on Everybody Loves Raymond, but honestly, I didn't follow everyone's footsteps in actually adoring that show anyway. But her role as Francis "Frankie" Heck in the Middle is one that I absolutely love. Frankie is the hard working, working-class mother/wife to a very unconventional bunch in the Midwest. Her husband, another reemergence that I liked the second time around is Neil Flynn, the extremely funny if not completely dysfunctional janitor from Scrubs, who plays Mike Heck, who actually plays the role that I think real fathers take in life, slightly attentive, when called for it, hardworking, but otherwise oblivious.

Frankie and Mike Heck have 3 kids, 2 of which are proverbial social train wrecks while the oldest, a boy named Axl is the proverbial popular jock douchebag. The younger two, Sue and Brick ( real name, and for some reason think it's awesome) Sue is the geeky, ever present little ray of sunshine, full of bubbles and candy bars while Brick is tantamount to the smartest member of the household, a complete book worm and has a really strange habit of repeating words from the last sentence he spoke in the form of whisper to himself.

The Hecks are odd at best, but show an immense sense of togetherness as they all go through various ordeals, and doing so in fashion of single hilarity that keeps me coming back every Wednesday at 8:00. If you haven't already seen this show, I seriously advise you to check it out.

#2 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

I'm a fan. The Middle is sooo underrated that it's ridiculous. I know Patricia Heaton is suppose to be the big draw for this show, but the kids are the stars. Unfortunately, I never watch it in real time, I usually DVR a few episodes then watch at a later time.

#3 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

For some reason I don't share your passion for 'The Middle'. For me the topic of the show was covered so many times that unless the actors are extraordinary in what they do, it is simply not worth to watch . Here I think that Patricia Heaton is the only one who is trying to pull this show up (and maybe that little kid) but the rest is really just boring.

#4 vivi

vivi

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well I am a fan of the Middle. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of other people are not. The children are ridiculously funny and excellent actors. Some of the scenes of Axl are priceless, since he is such a goof. I loved when he was showing Brick how to do pull ups on the door and the door slams shut. Last episode, when Sue ran over his foot made me howl. I need more shows that make me laugh out loud over and over again. And the dad is the best. He's aloof and emotionally unavailable which represents perfectly the Dad's that I have known. Please help get the word out to keep this show alive.

#5 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Perhaps its because I lived in Indiana once, but I can't get enough of this show. All of the kids are great, and actually can't pick a favorite. But what I am wondering and so glad i can finally ask is, "Is the mom, (Patricia Heaton" wearing a wig? I can't get over the fact that it looks exactly the same.

#6 winnifred

winnifred

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I really love the Middle also. At first I thought the kids were so odd, especially Brick, but I could not stop watching it. This show drew me in little by little, and now I watch it all the time. I think Brick, Sue and Frankie are the anchors of the show that keep it running well. It is good to have a family show that is clean these days.

#7 winnifred

winnifred

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I do not think that Patricia Heaton is wearing a wig, although I will wait to see her hair in the fall Tv shows coming up. I wonder what will become of the older son, Axl, now that he is off to college. I wonder if his character will show up less and less in the fall TV shows. Any ideas, anyone?

#8 mrscilluffo

mrscilluffo

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

I only recently (in the past year or so) started watching 'The Middle' every week. However, I find it has a lot of heart, and is kind of the perfect example of a middle-class family in the US. A lot of the situations covered happened in my own middle-class family growing up. I think it is written well and is great at portraying the misadventures of the 'average' American family. 

#9 winnifred

winnifred

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I read an article where Patricia Heaton  says that she wears a wig while filming The Middle. She likes it because she has 30 minutes less of make up time in the morning, so she can arrive to work at 6:00 Am instead of 5:30. I do wonder if Axl will be less prominent in the next season. The season premiere airs on September 25, so will find out soon.

#10 DVRJunkie

DVRJunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

I love The Middle!  I do agree that the kids are the stars, but it's a great cast overall.  Sue is my favorite, but when are they going to remove her braces?  I know she had to get them put back on for some reason, but it is getting ridiculous.  I think Sue is a good character for any kid struggling in high school or school as a whole. Her positive attitude really makes the show even though I think they take the loser thing a bit too far at times.  I felt bad for her that her ex had moved on a few episodes ago.  There is just something about watching her and her go-getter personality that makes me smile.   :)

#11 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sue is also a favorite Character of mine . I love her upbeat attitude in the face of all her setbacks. The best thing about Sue is, she knows she is not perfect and does not try to be , she accepts herself for who she is. In a world where everyone is obsessed with being popular at any cost, it is refreshing to see that someone like Sue is only in competition with herself.

I do hope that she can start to pull ahead sometime soon. It is time we see Sue get a chance to win for a change.

#12 Leo

Leo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I actually started watching this show in an afternoon that I was really bored and ended up loving it. I've still only seen season 1 and 2 and I must say I love their "family" chemistry they just work so well together. I really like Brick, he is just so weird but funny at the same time and Sue is just so awkward but it feels so natural that you feel just a huge sympathy for her, she is just so nice to everyone always with a postiive attitude.

#13 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I read an article where Patricia Heaton  says that she wears a wig while filming The Middle. She likes it because she has 30 minutes less of make up time in the morning, so she can arrive to work at 6:00 Am instead of 5:30. I do wonder if Axl will be less prominent in the next season. The season premiere airs on September 25, so will find out soon.

The show has do a great job keeping Axle in the story line, because he is only 45 minutes away from home, he shows up often. They also follow his campus life. We get to see as much Axle as ever. 

#14 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

I used to watch The Middle all the time but I removed it from my DVR because I could never get to watching it. I may add it back since there isn't a lot to watch this season. I agree that the kids make the show. They're all good actors and they deliver the funnies. However, the actress who plays Sue, Eden Sher is the superstar of the cast.  It's a shame this show has never gotten the same fanfare as Modern Family when it has been consistenly a far superior show.

#15 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

The Middle is on reruns now and it is great.  This is one of the better shows to come out in a long time.  It's so REAL and that is what gives it heart.  The actors are all great, and yes, the kids really make the show!    I always laugh when I watch this  And when I catch a rerun, I always watch it!

#16 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I love this show, It's funny, intelligent and the characters are exceptional. Brick is my favorite child actor momentarily, and I also like Mike and Axl. Even if this show is almost an identical copy of "Malcolm in the middle", it is one of the best comedies on TV right now.

#17 bibicat12

bibicat12

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm not understanding how anyone can say that Frankie Heck is a hard working mom. She is one of the laziest moms on TV. The house is always a mess and she is always sitting on the couch watching TV and doesn't want anyone to bother her. She's so lazy she would rather spend money they don't have to buy take out rather than cook nutritious meals. Sue is my least favorite character on the show. I just cannot handle her or Brick.  Axl is my favorite because he reminds me so much of my brother.

#18 aimerz

aimerz

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

I love this show as well. I never really got into until the past couple seasons. Now it is one of the sitcoms I look forward to the most. I like that all the characters are kind of cooky and although the family is far from perfect, they always end up being there for each other in the end and making the most of their time. I loved the season finale when they went to disneyworld, not realizing their tickets (that Sue won) were really for disney land.

#19 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Are they still making new shows ? I love the cast. Patricia Heaton from 'Everybody Loves Raymond', Neil Flynn that strange custodian from 'Scrubs'. The show is hilarious. Brick is really funny.

#20 brreeves1s

brreeves1s

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

I love this show so much! I feel guilty because sometimes I forget about it, but when I catch it when it's on, I could watch it for hours! It's so funny, and I feel that in general, it is very underrated. Yeah, on the surface it's your stereotypical sitcom about a goofy, dysfunctional family. But it's a little more realistic and a little less feel-good, so I like it more than most shows like that.