• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

I've heard the finale of Lost be called the most polarizing series finale ever, with the exception, perhaps, of The Sopranos. I actually loved the finale of Lost, but I definitely understand how people feel the opposite. My family and I used to watch Lost religiously, but I'm the only one who followed it to the end since everyone else thought it had gotten "too weird." It started out as something entirely different, and I think it would have been better if it had stuck to that formula. Still, it's one of those shows that really made me think (and still does) so I'm chalking it up to a win.

#22 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

I didn't watch St. Elsewhere, myself, but I remember reading about the finale somewhere and thinking, "what the heck?" I would have been very upset if I had watched a show that long and then it ended that way. They probably thought that it was very clever and creative, but to me it just says that none of the show mattered because none of it was real.

#23 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

I think finales should just wrap up the show's loose ends, while keeping things interesting. Obviously they shouldn't be too predictable, but too far in the other direction sometimes leads to disappointment. But I definitely understand the feeling of being heavily invested in a show only to have it be revealed that it was all a lie.

#24 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

No, Lost's ending was a subsequent part of the show. Alternate universes aren't the same thing as an entire show being in someone's imagination or dream. Some people couldn't handle the philosophical implications of Lost's storyline, which is why the ratings dropped off in later seasons.

#25 thresholdofreality

thresholdofreality

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

I really liked the ending of Lost, but I do understand why so many others hated it. I just loved that everything went perfect circle, and I loved the Church scene. At the end of the day, the main reason I watched Lost was because I loved the characters - the mystery was just a little perk for me. Marc Cherry also nailed the Desperate Housewives finally - I still cry whenever I watch it!

The worst finale for me would have to be Veronica Mars' - I know the show got cancelled but in all fairness, Rob Thomas knew that the show was barely hanging on. He could have written a series finale, but no, he gambled, and his gamble didn't pay off.

#26 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

I know the show got cancelled but in all fairness, Rob Thomas knew that the show was barely hanging on. He could have written a series finale, but no, he gambled, and his gamble didn't pay off.

Ugh, I hate when that happens. I didn't watch Veronica Mars, but I do know what you mean about how they should go ahead and give a potential series finale when they know it's likely to end. I hate when they leave it on a cliff hangar for the next season, when there isn't likely to be a next season at all.

#27 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I know the show got cancelled but in all fairness, Rob Thomas knew that the show was barely hanging on. He could have written a series finale, but no, he gambled, and his gamble didn't pay off.

Ugh, I hate when that happens. I didn't watch Veronica Mars, but I do know what you mean about how they should go ahead and give a potential series finale when they know it's likely to end. I hate when they leave it on a cliff hangar for the next season, when there isn't likely to be a next season at all.

They do that because they don't care about their fans. They care about their bottom lines and bank accounts. I wonder if tv shows can do the same thing video games and music artists do and get crowd funded. Then it wouldn't be as easy for a network to shut them down.

#28 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

There have been series finales that have been great and make you feel satisfied that the show got a proper send off. There have been some that were decent, they gave you a good send off but it might have been better. In my opinion this is where Desperate Housewives finale ranks,good but might of been better. Then there are those that leave you to wonder why you bothered to tune in because it was such a disappointment. Ironically some of the most hyped finales like The Sopranos falls into this category. But at least these shows got a proper send off none the less.I don't like it anymore then anyone else, when a show ends it run with a cliff hanger all because it was up in the air whether the program was returning in the fall. Then the program is cancelled and viewers are left with no resolution to what happened.

#29 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

The Secret Circle series finale was dissappointing because it shouldn't have been the end of the show! They would have resolved a lot more of the storyline had they known it wouldn't be picked up for a second season. For example, I think they would have found a way for Cassie & Adam to end up together.

I can't agree enough with Lost though. I was so invested in this series and it ended on such a meek note. I was so frustrated with how a lot of the relationships were resolved, as well as the entire storyline! The love triangle between Kate, Jack & Sawyer was such a major plot point for the majority of the series. And I feel like they hardly even addressed it in the end. Nonetheless, I will always love season 1 & 2.

#30 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Another type of series finale that I don't like along with the ones that keep you hanging are the type that tell me the show never existed. I know these are fictional programs but we still come to care about the characters, so do we really want to be told it was all a dream or in someone's head?

Classic examples of this are the series Newhart and St. Elsewhere. I wasn't a regular watcher of St. Elsewhere, and even I thought it was somewhat of a ripoff when I found out the whole show took place in the mind of an Autistic Boy. I did watch Newhart or all its seasons and didn't like it one bit when they made this show all a dream in the mind of Bob Newhart's other iconic TV character Robert Hartly. Telling us the show once again was nothing but a dream, my reaction to this was go tell it to Bobby Ewing. Thanks to Dallas and their it was all dream season others were inspired to do this same thing, I didn't like it when Dallas wrote off one season with this so I sure didn't like it when an entire series was written off this way.

#31 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I actually liked how The Sopranos ended! I thought it was perfect ... kind of left us able to interpret things how we want. I know it left questions, but I think that was the intention. We don't really know if Tony got shot or not (unless the creator at some point came out and said he did? I can't remember) but the way people were eyeing him in that restaurant, it certainly gave you the feeling that something was about to go down.

Man, I loved that show. I have been itching for weeks to sit down and just marathon the whole thing!

Am I missing something here? Tony shot? Didn't they end the series with the restuarant blowing up with the whole family inside?

#32 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

My vote has got to go to American Horror Story Season 1. The season finale was absolutely ridiculous and it just made all of the events that had happened up until that point, pointless. There was literally no point in the entire show because of the way that the writers chose to end that series. Luckily American Horror Story Asylum had a better ending. Not the best ending, but at least it shows that the writers are getting better with their pay offs.

#33 Pooki

Pooki

Friendly

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I actually liked how The Sopranos ended! I thought it was perfect ... kind of left us able to interpret things how we want. I know it left questions, but I think that was the intention. We don't really know if Tony got shot or not (unless the creator at some point came out and said he did? I can't remember) but the way people were eyeing him in that restaurant, it certainly gave you the feeling that something was about to go down.

Man, I loved that show. I have been itching for weeks to sit down and just marathon the whole thing!

Am I missing something here? Tony shot? Didn't they end the series with the restuarant blowing up with the whole family inside?

You are right. 

I don't remember him getting shot 

#34 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I forgot to mention the ending of Desperate Housewives too. I wasn't displeased with the ending, but I didn't feel like what was given to the viewers was Finale-worthy. A few other avenues could have been explored in order to round off each characters storyline a little bit more. But having said that, Desperate Housewives was one of the best shows I've ever watched. I got laughs, giggles, heartache, mystery, and a multitude of other things from it too. So i can't really complain too tough.

#35 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

You are right. 

I don't remember him getting shot 

OK, so now I know I am not as crazy as I thought... They did blow up in the Diner.

#36 LadyNightowl

LadyNightowl

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

This is wayyyy old but I will never forget the series finale of St. Elsewhere. i watched every single episode and then the very last show told me it was all just a thought inside an autistic child's mind. It made no sense at all,It didn't tie up loose ends, and left me feeling like I invested all that time only to find out the show wasn't even "real" but just a fantasy. It was a very weird finale and I will never forget how mad I was about it.

And, of course, Lost left me, well, lost!

#37 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

This is wayyyy old but I will never forget the series finale of St. Elsewhere. i watched every single episode and then the very last show told me it was all just a thought inside an autistic child's mind. It made no sense at all,It didn't tie up loose ends, and left me feeling like I invested all that time only to find out the show wasn't even "real" but just a fantasy. It was a very weird finale and I will never forget how mad I was about it.

And, of course, Lost left me, well, lost!

I think you just described how I felt about the final episode of Newhart. Up to that point a great sitcom, and I got into the characters. The final episode, it was all a dream that Bob Hartley had, who was of course, Bob Newhart's character on his original sitcom The Bob Newhart Show. To this day many viewers hail this as a great and clever finale, but not me I still hate it. There was nothing clever about it, come on Dallas did this years before, only they wiped out a season not an entire series. The thing is, these maybe fictional characters, but we get wrapped up in them and in the program itself. The last thing we want to hear in a final episode is you wasted your time because this was all a dream or a figment of someone's imagination. Yes, its fiction, yes it doesn't exist, but we still get to know these characters, none the less.

#38 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think finales should just wrap up the show's loose ends, while keeping things interesting. Obviously they shouldn't be too predictable, but too far in the other direction sometimes leads to disappointment. But I definitely understand the feeling of being heavily invested in a show only to have it be revealed that it was all a lie.

Kinda like Lost

#39 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Not gonna lie... I was quite disappointed in Shameless Season 3 Finale.... really....thought they could have done better. The actual Season was really quite good, but the finale kind of fizzled. 

#40 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

No, Lost's ending was a subsequent part of the show. Alternate universes aren't the same thing as an entire show being in someone's imagination or dream. Some people couldn't handle the philosophical implications of Lost's storyline, which is why the ratings dropped off in later seasons.

Lost's series finale was expected, but I can see why there was disappointment. I think when folks here the word "finale", they want something explosive and intense.