• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

I also remembered the end of Quatum Leap and I wasn't happy either.  How could they say he never went home, what about his wife, or did the writers think we forgot about that.  Then there was the end of Newhart, I don't care how many people praise this I hated being told this was all a dream the Robert Hartly from The Bob Newhart Show had, in other words the whole show never happened..  While we're on the subject of being told a show never happened although you watched it for years cared about the charactes I can also add to the list of disappointing endings St. Elsewhere. 

But at least these were endings, I stil don't know what that was the NYPD Blue did for its final episode, because it didn't seem like one, not nostalgic about it.  Also, the only thing that was remotely satisfying about the final Episode of the original Hawaii Five-O was that McGarrett finally brought Wo Fat to justice but were there any viewers left who cared at that point, since the whole cast was more or less changed by the twelfth season and the ratings reflected that.

#122 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

I also remembered the end of Quatum Leap and I wasn't happy either.  How could they say he never went home, what about his wife, or did the writers think we forgot about that.

Yes, Quatum leap could have done better for poor Sam after all he was always hoping that the next leap would be the one home. I could understand if he made it home and was allowed to stay for a while to be with heis family and then returned , but to keep him leaping forever was just cruel. Al was way past due to for some long term leaping.

#123 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Really I would rather Quatum Leap had ended with Sam actually leaping home after he helped Al and Beth as if this was the mission he had to set right all along.  When he gets there and is reunited with his wife he then contemplates what to do about the technology.  He realizes that at one time how much he wanted to make a great discovery as a scientist but wonders if the world is ready for this sort of technology.  \

In the end he tells the press that his experiments wasn't successful and closes the chamber up knowing that it wasn't the right time for such a discovery to be made.  Yes, call it the writer in me but I think this would of made for a better ending and it would of shown how Sam Becket changed from a scientist yearning to make a great discovery to a man who had seens so much of humanity in all his leaps that he starts to care more about the human factor and how his experiment could distory it.  I thnk a better message then what the show left us with and a more satisfying ending.

Edited by pafjlh, 06 February 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#124 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

Jeremiah.  It left you hanging expecting more, but the show never came back.  I was very disappointed.

#125 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

One of the bad endings to date: True Blood.

I felt like it was such a slap in the face too every person that watched that series faithfully. You end up with the woman you love killing you who was a total waffler for what she wanted, just so everyone has disjointed superficial happy endings?! I've never been so angered at the ending of a show before in my entire life. Just what were the writers DOING?! (You could tell they were writing themselves into a corner a season ago, but I thought, no HOPED, that they would get themselves out of it.) 

Seriously, forget you, Sookie Stackhouse. You just messed up many men's lives when they got involved in your fae shenanigans. Poor Alcide. :(

Haha, I couldn't have said this better. The ending really was as you said it. I truly didn't understand the writer's choice of true death for Bill. it was lame to say the least. 

Alcide was also one of my favorite characters (Eric, all the way!) - but never liked how his character was developed. Didn't like her hooking up with Sookie at all. 

#126 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

I also remembered the end of Quatum Leap and I wasn't happy either.  How could they say he never went home, what about his wife, or did the writers think we forgot about that.

Yes, Quatum leap could have done better for poor Sam after all he was always hoping that the next leap would be the one home. I could understand if he made it home and was allowed to stay for a while to be with heis family and then returned , but to keep him leaping forever was just cruel. Al was way past due to for some long term leaping.

Leaping for the eternity sounds like a horrible punishment, lol.  More like a hell like thing if you ask me!  I mean, I think almost everyone was thinking he'd eventually make it home, after all he helped a lot people and completed his missions. The ending was just so dark and sad, I can imagine the character growing more and more frustrated with the years of just leaping over and over!  He should have gone back home, to his family.

#127 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

My vote goes with The Sopranos as the worst. I hate, hate, hate it when an ending is left up to interpretation. I think it's a big cop-out :frawn . It's not my job as a viewer (or reader) to make up my own ending - I need closure, damnit!

I have only recently discovered the Sopranos and am currently on season 5. I have heard that the finale is disappointing from a few people but having watched this far i think it is the finest tv show ever made. It has everything, well written characters, a cracking script, violence, humour, great acting and a certain charm.

I hope the ending won't feel like too much of an anti climax, but i suppose different people interpret it in different ways and rate it accordingly.

#128 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

How I met your mother threw 8 years of character development down the drain in the span of 3 minutes. SO MANY THINGS dragged out in the final season that they could've been spent on the mother and Ted. I get that they were going for the real life ending or whatever, but the setup for it was horrible

Edited by sammien94, 15 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#129 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

OMG True Blood sucked (no pun intended). I LOOOOVED Eric and didnt like Alcide hooking up with Sookie either. And Bill's ending? Just horrible.

I also wanted Sam to end back home in Quantum Leap. Or end at his beginning with his wife. I agree it ended in a horrible punishment.

My partner hated Missing's ending, but I was okay with it. It ended open, yeah, but it was satisfying. Some programs need to end and are still on (yeah I'm looking at you Revenge.)

#130 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:51 AM

OMG True Blood sucked (no pun intended). I LOOOOVED Eric and didnt like Alcide hooking up with Sookie either. And Bill's ending? Just horrible.

I also wanted Sam to end back home in Quantum Leap. Or end at his beginning with his wife. I agree it ended in a horrible punishment.

My partner hated Missing's ending, but I was okay with it. It ended open, yeah, but it was satisfying. Some programs need to end and are still on (yeah I'm looking at you Revenge.)

You know which other show needs to end? THE BIG BANG THEORY. Jesus Christ that show is just bad now. The jokes are so bland, and Sheldon's become downright annoying. The running gag about how everyone hates him is SO OLD

#131 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

I just want to say that even though I felt a bit peeved at some aspects of finales that came up here -- Gilmore Girls, Friends, Angel -- it still ended up fine for me, in a "it still feels true to the show" and the last lines of Friends and Angel had a very nice ring that resonated with the rest of the series. "Let's get to work", though it's very open, DOES keep the spirit of the show -- always having to work for redemption and for the general good, no matter how endless the fight and how vain the efforts sometimes. That's the show. That's what it always was about, and to have the fight end would be giving off the wrong idea -- the idea of closure. Angel keeps on fighting, there is no end. Buffy, on the other hand, was a coming of age story, a story of fighting, sure, but of duty and of wanting to be normal -- and how this destroyed many other chances she would want to have. In the end, she outgrew the town, she spread her power, and everything she knew exploded and the Sunnydale Hellmouth just a hole in the ground.

Now, How I Met Your Mother, I still have a real bone to pick with, because as far as I and a large majority of fans are concerned, it betrays the show and all its evolutions just for the sake of a silly, undeserved, irritating twist for a forced ship most people (including the characters themselves) were over A LONG TIME AGO. Damn.

#132 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

I've watches TWO episodes of Big Bang Theory...and I dont get it.  I have honestly tried but I just dont get the "funny" in it.  Ive only seen a couple of episodes from how I met Your Mother and I preferred that.  I wanted to watch it from the beginning....but now I dont know if I should.  LOLOL  (I probably will though)

#133 Fin3213

Fin3213

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

I have to say the end of Parks and Recreation really left me disappointed.  I had been a big fan for many seasons but the final season and the season finale itself was way too "perfect".  Every single character had a happy ending that was wrapped up with a perfect little bow on top, and the jokes themselves were definitely not as funny.  I suppose that it was usually happens with long-running comedy shows.

Edited by Fin3213, 26 March 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#134 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

I just want to say that even though I felt a bit peeved at some aspects of finales that came up here -- Gilmore Girls, Friends, Angel -- it still ended up fine for me, in a "it still feels true to the show" and the last lines of Friends and Angel had a very nice ring that resonated with the rest of the series. "Let's get to work", though it's very open, DOES keep the spirit of the show -- always having to work for redemption and for the general good, no matter how endless the fight and how vain the efforts sometimes. That's the show. That's what it always was about, and to have the fight end would be giving off the wrong idea -- the idea of closure. Angel keeps on fighting, there is no end. Buffy, on the other hand, was a coming of age story, a story of fighting, sure, but of duty and of wanting to be normal -- and how this destroyed many other chances she would want to have. In the end, she outgrew the town, she spread her power, and everything she knew exploded and the Sunnydale Hellmouth just a hole in the ground.

Now, How I Met Your Mother, I still have a real bone to pick with, because as far as I and a large majority of fans are concerned, it betrays the show and all its evolutions just for the sake of a silly, undeserved, irritating twist for a forced ship most people (including the characters themselves) were over A LONG TIME AGO. Damn.

I hated the how I met your mother ending. GODDAMN IT WAS SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. If they wanted that ending so much then they should've ended the show like 3-4 seasons earlier. It would've made a lot more sense since Barney and Robin had a good reason for breaking up rather than Robin basically becoming a bitch workaholic.

#135 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

My vote goes with The Sopranos as the worst. I hate, hate, hate it when an ending is left up to interpretation. I think it's a big cop-out :frawn . It's not my job as a viewer (or reader) to make up my own ending - I need closure, damnit!

I have only recently discovered the Sopranos and am currently on season 5. I have heard that the finale is disappointing from a few people but having watched this far i think it is the finest tv show ever made. It has everything, well written characters, a cracking script, violence, humour, great acting and a certain charm.

I hope the ending won't feel like too much of an anti climax, but i suppose different people interpret it in different ways and rate it accordingly.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "interpretation" thing. I like closure too. Also, if you're going to leave it up to my imagination, don't cop out, like Kinser said. Give something more, at least pointing toward a possible scenario. The way they left Sopranos was like... what? That's it?

#136 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

So, to those who didn't like the Sopranos ending (which I didnt watch the show but I heard)...were you okay with Lost's ending? LOLOLOL. My partner was po'd.  Lolololol. I got it one way,he was like no, that's not it. To this day, I cant say he's okay with it. Lolol

#137 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

I hated the how I met your mother ending. GODDAMN IT WAS SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. If they wanted that ending so much then they should've ended the show like 3-4 seasons earlier. It would've made a lot more sense since Barney and Robin had a good reason for breaking up rather than Robin basically becoming a bitch workaholic.

Word!

To me, to force it back to the "original vision" just drives the characters growth backward. Robin and Ted both let go of their relationship; Robin had come to a point where she was willing to put her pride sidewards when it was needed, and to put love first for the potential it had. And Barney is the traveler type, too! Nothing of this makes sense, but what pisses me the most is that Tracy became my favorite character as soon as she came into the picture and interacted with the group -- she just fit in this group of friends so amazingly well, and she fit to Ted like a match made in heaven. And I finally genuinely liked Ted again! More than ever before during the series. And "How your mother met me" was a jewel of an episode. And the finale was a trashcan of an episode. They ruined it on that one, really.