• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

I first heard the story of the Borgias in the Assassin's Creed games, where a semi-historically accurate version of their lives was part of the main story. All the main figures were there: Rodrigo Borgia, Cesare Borgia (who was one of the main antagonists), and Lucretia Borgia, plus some other familiar faces such as Niccolo Machiavelli. Maybe their storyline wasn't terribly accurate, but it helped introduce me to that point in history, and without it I may not have known who the Borgias were when the show started. I've only seen a couple episodes so far, but I'm disappointed that they canceled it since Showtime and other premium channels are always canceling their shows way too early.

#2 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

What is it with HBO and Showtime never giving shows a chance? I know they're trying to stay competitive, but with shows like Game of Thrones and Dexter, there's really no logical reason to worry about it. I think part of the reason the shows are so popular is the lack of censorship, but even as an open-minded viewer I wish they'd tone it down just a little. The Borgias are an interesting historical family, and it really is a shame that the show got canceled.

#3 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Has anyone been watching this? It's in its 2nd season and stars Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia who became Pope Alexander VI. He was also the father of Cesare Borgia and Lucretia Borgia who have become infamous for their plots and intrigues in 15th century Italy.

The sets and costumes are gorgeous. Renaissance Italy is really brought to life very well. The acting is great. It's wonderful to see an actor with the quality of Jeremy Irons in a TV series. The same production company made the mini-series The Tudors, but I like this one better because it seems more realistic.

I like costume dramas. Not too many of them get made into movies anymore these days, so I like they are being produced on TV.

#4 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

I forgot all about the Borgias! I wonder if they'll run an marathon anytime soon so I can catch old episodes. I also love Jeremy Irons; he's an excellent actor and I particularly loved him in Lolita.

#5 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

I love Jeremy Irons but haven't really been able to catch a full episode of The Borgias yet. What I did notice though is that there's a lot of time spent out of costumes on this show.

#6 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I thought about getting into it but kind of just forgot about the show. 

I must admit I was originally caught by the beautiful costumes, as I didn't really know much about the actors. I do have an interest in renaissance Italy, and it looked like it was based on historical fiction.

I did really like The Tudors, so I figured I would give this show a shot. 

I'll have to look it up and start watching!

#7 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Unfortunately I don't get Showtime so I have never seen this program. I have to admit that I kind of wish I did because this is the type of program I would be interested in watching. However, there is something about this show that has always puzzled me. If Rodrigo Borgia was a married man with children how did he possibly become Pope of the Catholic Church. Now, this wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't know that this man actually did exist.

I have tried to do research on him but fall short of finding out how this happened. I was raised Catholic and brought up believing that in order to be Pope you have to be a Cardinal first. In order to be a Cardinal you have to first be a Priest, in the Catholic church being a Priest means you take a vow of celibacy and you never marry or have a family. So, how was it that Rodrego Borgia became Pope, were the rules different then, was there some manipulation that put him in that position. Sorry, to ask but I have always been curious about his given what I know abut the Catholic Church.

#8 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Unfortunately I don't get Showtime so I have never seen this program. I have to admit that I kind of wish I did because this is the type of program I would be interested in watching. However, there is something about this show that has always puzzled me. If Rodrigo Borgia was a married man with children how did he possibly become Pope of the Catholic Church. Now, this wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't know that this man actually did exist.

I have tried to do research on him but fall short of finding out how this happened. I was raised Catholic and brought up believing that in order to be Pope you have to be a Cardinal first. In order to be a Cardinal you have to first be a Priest, in the Catholic church being a Priest means you take a vow of celibacy and you never marry or have a family. So, how was it that Rodrego Borgia became Pope, were the rules different then, was there some manipulation that put him in that position. Sorry, to ask but I have always been curious about his given what I know abut the Catholic Church.

I am sure you could always stream it on-line from a television website. I use Project Free Tv, but I don't believe it is on there, although it might be... they have a huge selection of television shows, including the Tudors if you're into Historical Fiction. 

Doesn't that always happen? I mean, when we actually get interested in something and want to do research on it, we can never find exactly what we are looking for? More than likely what has happened is that the aspects of how he became the Pope has been covered up or hidden from public eyes as of course... in the Catholic religion you cannot be a Pope if you do not first become a Cardinal. You are completely right in saying that this is puzzling as he should not be a Pope at all if it is true that he had a family and a child. 

I doubt the rules were different back then, are the rules different now? Maybe manipulation put him in that position but you make it sound like it was external manipulation, rather than something which he influenced himself so he could get that position.

Interesting how laws are bent when one wants power. 

I think this adds a whole lot of mystery to the show, which has already done an excellent job at illustrating the shrouds of mystery, crime, and murder within the Borgias family. 

#9 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thank you for telling me about Project Free TV. I didn't see The Borgias listed there though, but I did see other programs that I am interested in watching. Such as Game of Thrones, once again a cable premium cable program, so I was surprised to find out it could be accessed there. Maybe in time they will get The Borgias as well. I will keep an eye out for it there, this is definitely a website I will be checking into in the future. Thank you again for referring me to it.

#10 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thank you for telling me about Project Free TV. I didn't see The Borgias listed there though, but I did see other programs that I am interested in watching. Such as Game of Thrones, once again a cable premium cable program, so I was surprised to find out it could be accessed there. Maybe in time they will get The Borgias as well. I will keep an eye out for it there, this is definitely a website I will be checking into in the future. Thank you again for referring me to it.

You're welcome! Yes, unfortunately The Borgias is not listed on there, although they do usually get a lot of recent shows... so they might get it on there sometime soon. You could always e-mail them as well and see if they have intention on putting it on there. I absolutely love watching Game of Thrones on there and there is a lot of good quality links that you can use, that are rated 100% so you're usually going to get good video quality. 

It's a good website, so definitely keep your eyes peeled for it! 

#11 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes, I have been over on Project Free TV. They have section in their forum where you can suggest a TV program, so I am going to register and request The Borgias along with a few other shows I noticed they don't have. I don't know if they will be able to get the programs, but it wouldn't hurt to suggest them.

#12 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Yes, I have been over on Project Free TV. They have section in their forum where you can suggest a TV program, so I am going to register and request The Borgias along with a few other shows I noticed they don't have. I don't know if they will be able to get the programs, but it wouldn't hurt to suggest them.

That's definitely a great idea! They have a ton of shows, but they don't have some, you're right. I mean if you take a look at all of the shows/movies that they do have, then I don't think it would be a big deal or perhaps too much hassle to be able to get the ones that you are looking for especially if a lot of people agree with you. Let me know what people say :)

#13 tierapatt50

tierapatt50

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

I like shows that take place in another time especially in another era. It really shows how things were back then in a way because it was totally messed up in those times. The fact that the King could do whatever he wanted but if someone else did it then it was off with their head is ridiculous but it makes for great TV and bad living conditions.

Edited by tierapatt50, 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#14 KaraFrakkingThrace

KaraFrakkingThrace

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

The Borgias was one of my favorite shows - I'm still really upset that it got cancelled. What makes it worse is that a lot of characters and plot threads were just left hanging by the finale. I know enough history to have a good idea what happens to the historical characters, but it would have been nice to see what happened to Micheletto, for example.

Rodrigo Borgia had at least 8 children by 4 different women that I know of, but he never married any of the mothers. They were only his mistresses. The Church at that time was very corrupt and it was common for priests, cardinals, and even popes to have illegitimate children. The previous pope (Innocent VIII) also had several illegitimate children that he acknowledged openly and lavished with money, titles, etc. This type of widespread corruption was one of the major factors that led to the start of the Protestant Reformation less than 20 years after Rodrigo's death.

#15 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

My wife was a big fan of this show so I decided to give it a try. I liked it a lot and I thought that Jeremy Irons is fantastic in it. But of course, I get through the second season and I heard that it is getting canceled. Shame really, i thought it was really starting to get very good.

#16 Death2Housework

Death2Housework

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I agree with Rekoj09!  The Borgia's was one that I have been watching since day one.  I got tired of Dexter the season before they offed his girlfriend.  I thought the cast was excellent and the plots interesting.  I guess I'll cross this off my mental list of shows to catch.  I enjoyed it, but I do know one of my friends had said it was ok, but did not like The Borgias as well as The Tudors, though he couldn't say why. 

#17 AbolethLich

AbolethLich

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

I absolutely adored The Borgias!  It was an enthralling, brilliantly written, gorgeously shot, and well acted historical drama strongly reminiscent of such other excellent series in that same vein as The Tudors and The Pillars of the Earth! 

I was extremely disappointed when The Borgias was cancelled!  In fact, The Borgias is the prematurely cancelled series that I would most love to have had more seasons of!  The story was hardly complete by the end of its third-and-finale season, and there's so much more history there that could have been explored! The series should honestly have ended with the Borgia pope's death, just as The Tudors ended with Henry VIII's death!  Or perhaps, if not then, it could have also naturally ended with Machiavelli writing The Prince?

#18 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

This show was surprisingly good. The intrigue is rich, often to the point of shocking. I really loved the settings and costumes as well.

I agree, Reko. They could tone things down a bit.

I also agree that they need to give some shows more of a chance, before they cancel them.