88 replies to this topic

#1 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Now that the season of repeats is upon us again, I have two questions:

Do you watch repeats you've already seen?

Which shows/episodes do you look forward to watching again?

Which would you rather stare at the bare wall than watch again?

#2 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey, I am moving this to the Primetime Lounge since it is about Television shows in general

To answer your question, I watch repeats of Mad Men, Friends and Shameless US. I have been meaning to marathon season two of the latter. I hope I like it better upon rewatch.

#3 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I used to but the writing for most of the shows I watch is so bad that once is more than enough for me. I don't watch much TV in the summer when my shows are in hiatus

I watch Shameless repeats but not often. I don't choose any particular episode, it is a matter of connivence

I'll rather stare at the wall than watch a scene from this season's Gossip Girl. I have no idea why it was given another season. Less than half a season but still .....

#4 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I despise reruns. The only time I'll watch an episode I have already seen is if it is several years later and I am marathoning a favorite series (such as Melrose Place or True Blood). By that point, what happened in each individual episode is less fresh in my mind.

#5 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

I actually LOVE reruns. In fact, I love The Office, but only the older episodes, with Michael Scott/ Steve Carell. Also, I tend to really love old programming, like The Jeffersons, Three's Company, Maude, Good Times, Adam-12, Sanford and Son, Fat Albert, Married with Children...these are all discontinued shows that you can only catch via reruns. Also, I work like a mad scientist, so most times, I can't catch a show in it's normally aired time slot anyway.

#6 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

*groan* is it that time again? UGH! I don't LIKE IT :-(. Anyway, I usually buy or rent movies more during rerun season than any other time of year. Why watch something over I didn't like the first go round? The only reruns worth watching are from favorite shows that were cancelled. I'll wait for them to come out on DVD thanks.

#7 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, I can watch shows like Mad Men again because they are about the characters, and sometimes you get to know the characters better if you watch an episode again. But I don't watch detective shows over again, like where you have to figure out the killer because once you know, you don't need to know again.

Doesn't it seem like the seasons are getting shorter and shorter? I remember reruns being mostly over the summer months, now it's at least half a year. Kind of makes me wonder if as many people are watching TV as we are made to believe they are.

#8 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

The season does seem shorter. Some shows don't get a full 24 episode season like the newtwork shows. Mad Men for example has 13 episodes at the most. HBO and Showtime shows are the same, they don't order more than 13 episodes a year. Unfortunately, these are the better written and executed shows.

Some of these shows are replaced with other series during their year long hiatus.

#9 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

I love reruns! I watch TV Land and Nick at Nite for the older shows I watched as a kid, but I also like TBS for shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, and The Office.

#10 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Little House on the Prairie is one of my favorite reruns. I also watch NCIS and Law and Order rerun marathans all the time. I miss a lot of shows throughout the regular season. It is great that they repeat when the season is over.

#11 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I try catching some top rated shows like Matlock, Emergency, Peter Gunn, Bonanza and a few others that I watched as a kid but couldn't appreciate it as much as I do now that I'm older.

#12 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I would lie if I would say I don't watch repeats :D I love watching the same shows all over again, and I still like them as if I would watch it for the first time. For instance I can watch 'Family Guy' over, and over again for the whole weekend and see the same episode 40 times and still I will laugh as much as I was when I saw it for the first time. Its stupid cos my girlfriend is constantly mad at me for watching the same shows all the time :D

#13 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I am not a huge fan of reruns. That being said I could watch Supernatural reruns all day long. This is actually the one and only show I have ever purchased the entire season long DVD set for. I don't watch TV that much in the summer though because we are out enjoying the sun and fun.

#14 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's too hot here to enjoy much sun and fun in the summer. I enjoy the Saturday line up of reruns: Without A Trace, Cold Case, The Unit, just to name a few.

#15 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

I go back and watch repeat runs all the time. I am watching my way through Veronica Mars again (spurred on by a topic on this forum actually) and after reading a book on English kings, I want to go back and rewatch the Tudors again.

If a show is good, it usually deserves repeat viewings.

#16 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

I like repeats of Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, etc. Those three shows never stop being funny to me, and there are enough of them out there that I often don't remember what happens in specific episodes so it's almost like they are new again.

But newer shows that are fresher in my mind (TVD, Supernatural, etc.) I normally don't watch the repeats.

#17 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

It depends on the show. I watch Simpsons and NCIS reruns quite frequently, for instance, but most of the time I prefer to find a new show. Summers still mean fewer new shows, but there are a lot more than there were when I was growing up.

#18 Zynoa

Zynoa

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

I love reruns, too. I love TV Land and the old Andy Griffith Shows. For some reason, I can't get enough of Don Knotts. I also watch On Demand for back logs of shows, usually my favorite ones like Breaking Bad, True Blood, Games of Thrones and Hell On Wheels. When I watch a rerun, there is always something I missed or didn't pick up on in the first show.

#19 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

I love to watch reruns of Monk since it is no longer on the air. I always liked the show and hated it when they decided not to renew, so now I just watch the episodes I liked best.

#20 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I watch over and over and over, if I really like the show. It takes several times or having them air too close to each other before I won't watch again. Hey, what can I say? I watched the entire series of 'Angel' and 'Charmed' over and over for 3 years on TNT before finally getting sick of them.