• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

Don't even get started on iCarly? Ugh. That show doesn't resemble anything named funny unless we're laughing at their attempts at humor due to being so poor and it just doesn't deliver messages with weight in the slightest. Many 90's shows were able to do this though, including Hey Arnold. One of my favorites would have to be Degrassi from that time period too. I just don't know why more shows of today can't be as well crafted, savvy and deep like them.

I know why the shows of today are not like that, but I wouldn't want to get into a debate about how the government want to brainwash children whilst they are young and impressionable.

Well if that's arguably what they're doing, I wonder why they want to make youths stupid by buying into such crap? These kind of shows are hardly a lesson these days for these kids. It's a crying shame. Instead of tacking deep and pressing issues, they are filling their heads with nonsense and then turn around and ponder the dropout rates. I mean come on, Governments.

I would urge you to look into the reasons why. I am bored of getting into flaming arguments with people about all of the shady things that our governments are doing without our consent. The best thing to do is just let people go off and do their own research lol. But they are most certainly doing these awful despicable things. The sex in music videos is another thing. Remember the good old days where music artists would just dance in videos a opposed to running around more or less naked? Lol. Things have become more and more mindless and vacuous. George Orwell's 1984 details all of the things that are happening to day over twenty years ago. Coincidence? Nope. He was either an insider or he was psychic.

#82 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Don't even get started on iCarly? Ugh. That show doesn't resemble anything named funny unless we're laughing at their attempts at humor due to being so poor and it just doesn't deliver messages with weight in the slightest. Many 90's shows were able to do this though, including Hey Arnold. One of my favorites would have to be Degrassi from that time period too. I just don't know why more shows of today can't be as well crafted, savvy and deep like them.

I know why the shows of today are not like that, but I wouldn't want to get into a debate about how the government want to brainwash children whilst they are young and impressionable.

Well if that's arguably what they're doing, I wonder why they want to make youths stupid by buying into such crap? These kind of shows are hardly a lesson these days for these kids. It's a crying shame. Instead of tacking deep and pressing issues, they are filling their heads with nonsense and then turn around and ponder the dropout rates. I mean come on, Governments.

I would urge you to look into the reasons why. I am bored of getting into flaming arguments with people about all of the shady things that our governments are doing without our consent. The best thing to do is just let people go off and do their own research lol. But they are most certainly doing these awful despicable things. The sex in music videos is another thing. Remember the good old days where music artists would just dance in videos a opposed to running around more or less naked? Lol. Things have become more and more mindless and vacuous. George Orwell's 1984 details all of the things that are happening to day over twenty years ago. Coincidence? Nope. He was either an insider or he was psychic.

You're so right there about sex being played up way too far in the media that we see today. Back in the day, we didn't see that kind of stuff in such prevalence like we do now. It's like they want youngsters to get into that stuff at an early age. I am not sure how much it has to do with brainwashing the public from how much it has to do with the industries constantly having to find ways to keep up with shifting times. Either way, times are getting worse and worse and if George Orwell predicted it, he must be an prophet.

#83 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

Before you needed some type of talent to be famous also. Now you can be famous for the most vacuous and ridiculous reasons, encouraging youngsters to follow in the same meaningless foot steps. I don't think that it has to do with the times shifting, but I could understand why people would think that. George Orwell wasn't a prophet. He wrote a book called 1984, and it goes into detail. He was either an insider, who knew what the plan for humanity was, or he was psychic. I am leaning towards him being an insider though.

#84 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

I do, actually, watch repeats I've seen before. Only if I really liked that particular episode, of course. I love some of the old stuff that they showed on Nick a Nite years ago when I was a kid. I watched the Cosby Show, I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, mostly because that humor could still stand up today. I mostly look forward to the Cosby Show's repeats the most of the eariler seasons because they were the funniest; especially with Vaneesa's obsession with trying to get a dog. As for a show that I would rather stare at a wall instead of watch again: Family Guy. The quality of the humor decreased over the years for me. I didn't like the direction they were taking after awhile and it just felt awkward when they tried to make a joke and it fell flat on it's face instead. 

#85 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

I don't usually just pick a certain episode of something. If I run across a rerun of a show I like, I might watch it. Otherwise, the only time I usually do it intentionally, is if I decide to marathon the entire series again. I've done this with a few old favorites over the summer lull. I watched all of Alias and X-Files again last summer. I'm not sure what I'll watch this summer yet.

#86 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Repeats - that's why God created netflix and binge watching!!  :)  I don't usually watch repeats on TV, but I do love watching series on netflix.  I start at the beginning, episode 1, and watch the entire series, from start to finish.  It's so interesting when you binge, you catch so many things that you'd missed before.  The relationships are easier to keep up with, and you get to see the character development evolve.  The plot is seamless, especially between seasons.  When you watch on TV, there's 4-5 months in between, and you forget a lot of what went on "last season". 

#87 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

I like binge watching too.  Sometimes when they go on breaks and start up again, I'm like wait what happened last time?   LOL It's why I like to binge watch some shows that maybe I'm not THAT interested in.  The ones I am...well I HAVE to watch.  LOL

As for repeats for some reason, I can catch any episode of Will & Grace and I gotta watch.  And the thing is, I will still laugh.

#88 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

In the UK television is notorious for the amount of repeats it shows, i don't mind repeats if they are good quality or classic shows but they seem to show the same few average programmes over and over again. Satellite channels are the worst culprits for this with some channels dedicated to only repeats.

Christmas is the worst time for repeats with shows from the 1970's being recycled, some of them may be classics but many of them are comedies that weren't even funny the first time. Repeat land is bigger than ever and is due largely to cost cutting with lazy and cheap programming. 

#89 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

Christmastime and summer time are the worst here (in the US), if you ask me. There is nothing to watch but repeats. Even the holiday shows are often reruns. Some I don't mind watching again, others, no thanks.

That's why I usually just plan to do my own reruns, and watch an entire series over again, over the summer. Maladjusted described it well. I'm always surprised by some of the things I missed or have forgotten. I tend to do it with a series that I haven't seen in a long time, rather than with something I've watched all the way through more recently.