Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

OMG noooooooooooooooooooo!

Red herring. I refuse to believe Toby is a sinister bastard

He just made love to Spencer

That's Joss Whedon 101. Buffy loses her virginity to Angel and -- BAM! He's evil.

Still, I refuse to believe Toby is an A. I believe he's infiltrated to protect Spencer. My Spoby-obsessed heart will accept nothing less!

However, while I was bitterly disappointed in the Mona reveal (I was convinced it was Ezra), I'll admit my jaw hit the ground when Black Hoodie turned around and had Toby's face.

#42 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

No, he's not writing PLL (but couldn't you imagine how much more awesome the show would be if he did?). I just mentioned him because I remember an interview he did where he said that he wanted Buffy/Angel to parallel (in a supernatural way), the reality many girls face where they give their virginity to someone only to have them turn into a complete monster in the aftermath. Spencer/Toby reminded me of that tonight.

#43 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think they have three ways they can go with the Toby reveal:

1) He's been a part of the A Team for a while. It'd make sense, considering what the Liars put him through. But, he fell in love with Spencer and is now playing double agent.

2) He joined up recently with the express purpose of gathering information for Spencer.

3) He's evil.

#44 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Spoby fans, you don't want to read this. Especially the third question...

http://www.tvguide.c...by-1052473.aspx

#45 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I never thought of it like that, MaryAnn, that his "bad intentions" were towards Team A. I guess I just panicked. Spoby is my OTP on this show and I just don't want Toby being truly evil.

#46 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I hope you're right, Cybagem. I'm rewatching the series on Netflix (and forcing my father to adopt my PLL habit...hopefully it's as successful as forcing him to adopt my BB habit, which went a little TOO well) and looking for subtle "Toby's A!" clues. I'd forgotten how suspicious Spencer was of him in the beginning.

#47 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

OMG noooooooooooooooooooo!

Red herring. I refuse to believe Toby is a sinister bastard

He just made love to Spencer

#48 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was looking forward to catching up but now, not so much

It could be misleading, I am certain it is. I still don't like the thought of maybe Spencer is in love with a sociopath hanging over our heads all through the hiatus

#49 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Is Joss writing PLL? I must be living under a rock

Now I am convinced Toby has a twin, Tobia

#50 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Best part of Toby reveal was his walk/run. Pass the tin foil, I don't buy that he is a bad guy either

My theory is that he infiltrated the A cult. And have been a member long enough for Mona to trust him. It is more effective way of finding out what is going on than Caleb making a pest of himself

Nate as the big bad of the season have been apparent for sometime now. Unless you are Emily you saw that coming. So that part was a little disappointing. I liked the fight scenes though, they were well chronicled

Maggie looks like Mary Poppins. I hope she doesn't become a recurring character so watch her down a hoodie

#51 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Number 3. I don't hear you! lalalalalala

Number 2 is more likely but they have to make damn sure he has all the prove to show Spencer he did in fact infiltrate the A Camp and what he's gathered so far

It could play like when Caleb was playing double agent. If Caleb can get away with spying on Hanna for team A, Toby can too

#52 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Number 4, my favorite for book spoiler reasons, evil twin. No, I'm not kidding at all.

My jaw hit the floor when it showed Toby. Holy shit.

I cried when I thought Caleb died, but I can't hardly help myself when I see people crying like Hannah was.

#53 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I was going to say evil twin is too campy but we are talking about a show where the bad guys disguise themselves with hoodies

I cried when I thought Caleb died

I had a brief party

If he had died, you bet I'd have sounded a trumpet

#54 Peggy

Peggy

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I got a little confused at the end. They kind of made it seem like Mona was A, but I still think it is someone else. I'm also not sure about Garrett at this point. The only one who I think is not part of the A plot is Jenna.

#55 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Did Toby ever really have feelings for Spencer (Troian Bellisario)?
King: That's the story we're going to tell [in the next part of the season] and you'll get a better sense of it.

Could he still possibly have good intentions?
King: No.

If the second half of the season tells the story of if Toby ever had feelings for Spencer, then it can't be that his intentions towards the Liars is bad. Either he's been playing them all along and his intention is bad or there is more to the reveal. It can't be that cut and dried

He has bad intentions alright but I think it is towards Team A

#56 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yep. Toby has two agendas. One towards team A and another for team Liars. One has to be good and the other bad. If he is really working for A then his intentions for the girls is no good. But I haven't seen anything to support that theory

Until proven otherwise, I think he's done the impossible. Infiltrated the A Camp. While Caleb is shooting himself in the foot and Ezra is vegging on his couch, Toby will be vital in bringing down team A. That is my story and I am sticking to it

#57 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

I am a Spencer and Toby fan but I love this development. Troian will be amazing no matter what. If Toby infiltrated without telling Spencer, she will feel betrayed. If he is a traitor she will be devastated. Either way, Troian will be phenomenal

By Rosewood standards, hooking up with your bestfriend's ex is normal behavior. *SpencerWren*

#58 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

For those who don't visit Real Reviews PPL was one of the shows talked about and I must say hells to the NO!

Speculation is running rampant online, including the Pretty Little Liars thread, and my favorite right now is that Spencer is the double agent, playing the PLL while secretly plotting their downfall. I’m 100% torn on this storyline possibility. Would Spencer be capable of such a thing? Of course.

Let’s remember, she’s dallied with two of her big sister’s lovers, so betrayal isn’t new to her. In fact, it’s a Hasting Family trait; her dad betrayed her mom with the affair that produced Jason, Melissa’s betrayed everyone by lying about her baby and Mrs. Hastings betrayed Spencer and the rest of the PLLs by defending Garrett (accused of killing Alison and Maya). Spencer’s relationship was Allison was the rockiest, being the only one to even hint to Alison that she should go to hell

No way, I don't think Spencer is capable of such deep deception. If the A team were pulling silly pranks on deserving kids, I'll buy it but they do some pretty messed up things to innocent people. Spencer has a strong sense of right and wrong. She is the last PLL I can see maliciously hurting anyone, especially her friends

#59 Peggy

Peggy

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

I was just reading over the spoilers. Do you think the Halloween episode will advance the story or be more self-contained like last year's was? I kind of liked how last year's episode concentrated on what happened to Allison when she was still alive.

#60 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Oh, no. I'm not buying the evil Spencer theory at all. While I've wondered if one of them finally cracked and is doing this to the rest of them in the last few books, I really don't see it happening in the show.. At least this season. I'm sticking by my evil twin theory.