• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Does anyone here watching 'TopGear' or any other, based on the same idea, show like for instance '5th Gear'?

I think that 'TopGear' is simply a brilliant show, funny, interesting (even for girls who are not that much into cars), with unique format. Other shows seems to be catching up but for some reason they can't get to the same level.

What do you guys think? Is there an American version of 'TopGear'? Is it as good as the original one?

#2 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

I watch both the US and the UK Top Gear's, I have never watched any other thoughts. Just the comparison with both cast sets is enough to keep me twisted and confused. It might be different for me, I am a girl who is into cars. I think each have their own strengths and weaknesses but neither is better than the other.

#3 Audra

Audra

Noob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I watch Top Gear, the US version, and love it. I actually was not aware it was based off a UK show! It seems we keep stealing shows from overseas, huh? :P Anyways, I enjoy the show because each guy has his own tastes. I love when they mod the cars and test them out. The episode when they took the small cars to the hunting guys was too funny. Seeing the mini cars next to monster trucks really made me laugh.

What is the UK version like? Do they have three guys with different personalities, like our version?

#4 pilot2fly

pilot2fly

Shy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

American Top Gear is much different from the U.K. version. The guys over here seem like they're best friend and are always trying to one up each other. That isn't always the case in the U.K. version.

#5 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

The only one kind of similar was that show with the father and son who were running a bike shop - I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head right now. I guess at one point the son had a big falling out and sued his dad (or vice versa) and started stealing business from him. It seemed pretty genuine, but the premise wore thin after a while.

#6 Matthew

Matthew

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'll watch Top Gear when there's nothing else on. I'm not a fan of car shows, but the 3 add a sense of humor and quarkiness which makes it a decent show.  My favorite episode is when they had the blind man drift into a parking place. 

#7 minutes

minutes

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Top Gear is good, but it isn't as good as it used to be. And I was a big Top Gear fan. A lot of the "adventures" they go on are cool and funny, but these days they seem very scripted, and unoriginal. It was fun when they would challenge a super car against say, public transportation. You would be at the edge of your seat and you wouldn't really know who would win. But nowadays it seems they make scripted detours and purposefully run into entanglements. You just don't get that sense of it actually being a race anymore. Which is a shame because that would be the most entertaining thing to watch.

Fifth Gear is another really good show that focus more on the cars than the silly stuff like Top Gear does.

#8 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

I've grown up watching Top Gear (UK version) and prefer it to other shows which are similar e.g 5th Gear as not only do the Top Gear presenters inform me on all things car related but they gel so well and are so entertaining. I have to say, before I watched it I was cynical about the US version but I find it just as enjoyable as the cast don't try and emulate the British hosts but are funny and entertaining in their own way. The only version of TopGear I was dissapointed in was the Australian version, which for some reason I couldn't quite get into. One reason being that the presenters didn't gel as well or as naturally.

#9 cookiemonster16

cookiemonster16

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Its funny because not only did I not know of this show at first, but when I did I just didn't care for it. I just didn't think that I'd ever get curious enough to watch it at first, but the way I ended up watching it was thanks to my brother. He watches that show every chance he gets and I remember he happened to be watching it and I thought let me just sit down and watch a few minutes of it I am pretty sure I won't like it anyway. Little did I know that a few minutes turned into an hour and I ended up liking the show it was entertaining and the cars make it that more interesting to watch. I do watch it when I get a chance and of course my brother never misses an episode.

#10 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

Someone mentioned earlier, that Top Gear appears too scripted thesedays and I hadn't noticed it last time I posted but watching the last series, I'd have to agree. I used to laugh at all the things that went wrong but now it seems like the presenters are being a little too silly.

#11 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

I've seen Top Gear so many times now, mostly because it always seems to be on the TV in the background, and while I couldn't care less about cars I do find it quite amusing at times. I've never seen the US version though.

#12 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

I'm a girl, and not really into cars but I love the BBC Top Gear.  It's funny and interesting.  I love the presenters, the way they bicker back and forth and each one has a unique personality.  I love the "challenges" they take.  It's just a fun show to watch.  The American version on the other hand .... boy what a dissappointment.  The hosts are horrible, they aren't funny or interesting.  It's like they selected three random guys and put them together.  The format is so similar to the BBC one, they even do the same stunts and adventures.  It's just bad all around. 

#13 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

Top gear here in the UK is extremely popular but has just been taken off air as the main presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been fired for punching a producer in the face! When the show first began here it was a real motoring show dedicated to test driving and reviewing the cars. The format has changed greatly since then and the show became more about the presenters ego's, the cars seem to be purely incidental and secondary to that. We are supposed to be amused by Jeremy Clarkson going around having accidents like some overgrown child, the other two are equally silly but were paid huge amounts by the BBC to mess about.

Whatever my opinion, the show is extremely popular and i'm sure it will be picked up by another channel. I feel though that there is a gap in the market for a good quality motoring show where the cars are the stars.