• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

I think it depends on the kid. When I was little, I begged my mom to be in pageants. She wasn't into it, and frankly we didn't have the money to be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for me to do that, but I still wish she had let me. I think it can instill confidence and poise if you do it the right way and your child wants to participate.

That being said, most of these moms take it way too far. You don't put yourself thousands of dollars in debt for a pageant -- that little girl needs a college fund (or a rainy day fund if she doesn't go to college). Crowns are great, but you don't sex up your small child or hop them up on red bull so they have enough energy to win a plastic crown you can buy at Toys R Us.

I personally would not do the show even if I let my future child do pageants. Emotions run high, there's a lot of nervousness -- the last thing anyone needs is for that to be put on TV. Or God forbid, some weirdo fixate on your child.

#2 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Anyone here watch 'Toddlers and Tiaras'? Anyone think that this show should be banned and kids (girls) in age of 6/7 should have a normal childhood not some kind of shallow barbie life? I personally, watched couple of the episodes and I felt sick when I saw all the kids dressed up and with full make up on going on stage and trying to make their mommies proud ... really sick show.

#3 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

I think the whole beauty pageant thing for young girls is deplorable. That shouldn't be something that is even considered until a girl is old enough to make up her own mind if she wants to be involved in something like that. So, no, I don't watch the show either.

#4 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

I watched one episode last night and at the end of it one of the girls mom actually cried saying how much she loves the beauty pageants and that it is her whole life to take part in it. It was so sad that the girls during the show was so tired they were sleeping on the chairs and tables around the room when their parents were totally absorb by the show ... :/

But no wonder they do it (I mean the parents of those kids) if they can win 10.000 or so for the first place, and in total for one pageant there was 65 grants prize.

#5 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

These mothers are living viciously through their kids. Shame on them and the fathers for allowing it

That's it, the grand prize is ten thousand? There is no amount for money worth doing that to your kids but the grand prize makes it all the more deplorable

#6 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

These mothers are living viciously through their kids. Shame on them and the fathers for allowing it

That's it, the grand prize is ten thousand? There is no amount for money worth doing that to your kids but the grand prize makes it all the more deplorable

That was exactly my point. But it just show how blind some people are that they make it to their own kids for JUST 10.000 dollars. I mean In this situation it is JUST 10.000 bucks bit it is like putting a price on the kids childhood which is really bad :(

#7 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

I am sure this show is violating some law somehow. Child Services should be on everyone involved like white on rice

#8 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't watch this and I won't watch this because they only air it if there is an audience.

I think it is terrible to see these little babies looking like prostitutes shaking it up on stage while their mothers are hollering from the sidelines.

#9 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I thought about this thread when I saw this headline

Toddlers and Tiaras Spinoff 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,' Starring Alana Thompson, Comes To TLC

TLC has no shame but I blame the parents for this blatant exploiting of an innocent child

#10 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm not a fan of the show either. I do think that kids can participate in pageants but I don't think they should be so over the top. I have a gorgeous daughter and when she was younger many people said I should enter her. I did not! I wanted her to play outside - you know be a kid.

#11 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

I've never watched it, but I can imagine the horror it details. No kid deserves to be deprived of their childhood and put through that. Stop being so greedy and selfish, mommies!

#12 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

As a parent, I don't think I can express my hatred of this show. I guess as a reality show its ok, but these are some of the worst people in the world. Half of them should be in jail for child abuse, and most of these kids are guaranteed to be screwed up as adults.

#13 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

That sweet little kid that was murdered JonBenét Patricia Ramsey was part of this pageant circuit and look where it got her? If it wasn't some sicko twisted child killer that did it, it was one or both parents that probably did it to keep the babe quiet while they bled her winnings dry. Most if not all those moms need their kid's winnings to live on. I actually watched a segment on the talk show Anderson. I was literally sick to my stomach listening to the mom's praise and drone about why her daughter likes and wants the pageants. I heard nothing from her. Probably because the mom has tight reign on that precious little girl's winnings.

#14 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I would personally never participate in one of these pageants because I truly feel that the parents are, in a sense, exploiting their children. I also refrain from really publicly posting pictures of children ( like through facebook or another social media site) because I know that child molesters and pedophiles are just as likely to see them and the thought of some sick pervert looking at my children in any way sexual makes my skin crawl.
I saw an episode of Dr. Phil were two feuding mother's were debating each others actions. One mother had apparently spoken ill of the other because she chose to dress her daughter in a skimpy outfit and had her sing a song at some type of party that was sexual in nature. I think to myself, do these woman have acess to news articles and shows? Are they unaware of the plight of the world and the dangers that kids face WITHOUT parading them around on television like glittered pieces of meat?

#15 opal

opal

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

I had the same thoughts as CAMom50. Did they ever get to the bottom of what happened to JonBenet'? This show should be taken off the air and burried deep somewhere. I think it's just sick.

#16 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

The few glimpses I've had of this show turned me off big time. I do think the way these parents dote on these kids and get into the competition borders on being child abuse. No wonder so many kids have issues later in life.

#17 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't watch this and I won't watch this because they only air it if there is an audience.

I think it is terrible to see these little babies looking like prostitutes shaking it up on stage while their mothers are hollering from the sidelines.

That's exactly what these kids look like and it's so sad. If my daughter wants to try something like this when she is older, I would let her, but I would never, ever push her into it. I wouldn't even push her to win. All she would get from me is a simple, "Whether you win or lose, you're still a talented, beautiful young lady on the inside and out and Daddy and I are always proud of you." The stories I hear about the moms on the show are so over the top I can't even wrap my head around it.

#18 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

To me this show is like a train wreck and I just can't stop watching even though it makes me angry. I have to see what these parents will do next. The spin-off Here comes Honey Boo Boo Chile is about the daughter of someone I graduated with. Now she is making a fortune whoring out her child...unbelievable!

#19 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

Love2 I agree with you, it's a train wreck and I just can't turn it off. How much money do these parents spend so they can live vicariously through these little girls?

#20 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

I don't think they should have shows like this either. But, I guess they must have enough people watching to make money off of them to keep the show on the air.