• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

What it all comes down to is the ratings. More viewers want to see the trashy display of people fighting over their significant other sleeping with their sister, brother or some family outsider or perhaps see who the father of a dadless baby is. To keep viewers watching, the show had to change up a bit or it will indefinitely get cancelled. I still view Maury as a more respectable show than Jerry Springer, which is nothing more than a self-glorified, sleazeball program. It's not too shabby to watch once in awhile just for the drama and laughable, juvenile fighting, but at least Maury doesn't stage any fights when issues break out and tries to have them settled in a more civil manner.

#42 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I think that a lot of these shows are a reflection of the people watching them. If the people watching them were satisfied with normal stories, then these shows wouldn't have to push things so far, but the viewers are not satisfied. They want extreme stories.

#43 mylyric

mylyric

Cordial

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

I will say that the Maury Povich show is one of my guilty pleasures. I think that the paternity shows are the funniest, because the women are so entertaining to say the least. Just to watch them run off the stage after they hear the famous words "You are NOT the father" makes me laugh. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's something I watch if I want to be amused. I think that the issues are real, but I've always wondered why would a person travel all that way to reveal or discover something? I also feel like I know Maury, because he is so personable and I enjoy watching him converse with his quest. I think recently he celebrated a certain amount of shows and his wife surprised him by coming out of a big cake. I was so surprised to see her, because I haven't seen her since I was a child. 

#44 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

I will say that the Maury Povich show is one of my guilty pleasures. I think that the paternity shows are the funniest, because the women are so entertaining to say the least. Just to watch them run off the stage after they hear the famous words "You are NOT the father" makes me laugh. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's something I watch if I want to be amused. I think that the issues are real, but I've always wondered why would a person travel all that way to reveal or discover something? I also feel like I know Maury, because he is so personable and I enjoy watching him converse with his quest. I think recently he celebrated a certain amount of shows and his wife surprised him by coming out of a big cake. I was so surprised to see her, because I haven't seen her since I was a child. 

I don't even feel bad about watching Maury Povich. It is just too ratchet and full of drama to miss. If you are looking for a distraction from your own life, then Maury Povich is well and truly your friend lol.

#45 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I also feel like Maury is a guilty pleasure.  My life has none of that drama, so it's fun to watch.  I wonder, too, why would someone go on national television an reveal that there are 4 possible men who could be their baby's daddy?  Or to say they slept with their mother in law.  I don't know.  Maybe they are paid well?  I really don't know!  Either way, I will definitely watch some of the shows... and either laugh or cry depending on the content.

#46 mylyric

mylyric

Cordial

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I don't even feel bad about watching Maury Povich. It is just too ratchet and full of drama to miss. If you are looking for a distraction from your own life, then Maury Povich is well and truly your friend lol.

You are very right about the show being ratchet and it feels good to look at others people's issues rather than focusing on my own :P . I really don't like his talent shows or his geek to sheek shows, because the paternity show's are the best. I love it when the women are like "I'm one million percent positive you are my baby's daddy!" Sometimes I hope that they are telling the truth, because I could see the embarrassment coming a mile away! 

#47 mylyric

mylyric

Cordial

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I also feel like Maury is a guilty pleasure.  My life has none of that drama, so it's fun to watch.  I wonder, too, why would someone go on national television an reveal that there are 4 possible men who could be their baby's daddy?  Or to say they slept with their mother in law.  I don't know.  Maybe they are paid well?  I really don't know!  Either way, I will definitely watch some of the shows... and either laugh or cry depending on the content.

You would be surprised what people would do for a free trip and accommodations  <_< . For the most part, most of them claim that they don't have the money to pay for a paternity test, so they come to Maury. You mentioned that there are some women who test 4 men for paternity, well there was a lady who tested 14 men and still did not find who her baby's father was! Now that is a crying shame and I feel so bad for the child. This women not only has to explain to her child that she doesn't know who their father is, but they have to tell them they went looking for him on the Maury show  :blink:​ . 

#48 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

I know. Some of the things that happen on his shows are just unbelievable, which is why - like Jerry springer - people question whether or not the guests are actors ans actresses or not. I know that we live in a crazy world and that a lot of messed up and dramatic things happen, and that some of those people are just crazy enough to go on TV and air their business for the world. I don't know though. some of the stories are wild as hell.

#49 mylyric

mylyric

Cordial

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I truly believe that the people that come on the Maury Show are real. If its not real,it really seems convincing.I will say that other shows that I've watch are a little questionable, but not Maury. What I will say is fake on Maury is some of those crocodile tears from some of these women. They act as if the baby father broke their hearts when they denied their baby. When in fact the guy only hooked up with the chick a couple of times and he know several other men she was sleeping with.

#50 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

The thing I love best about Murray is, that he treats his guest with dignity and respect. This cannot be said of every talk show host on television today. No matter how outrageous someone has behaved , Murray does not judge them.It does not matter that you are a serial cheater, or that you have been on the show 12 times to test 20 men to find out who is you child's father. Marry will not mistreat a guest. He truly seem to care about helping people.

#51 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

True. I was just watching a clip of Maury and the show was about out of control teens, and one of the teenage boys was extremely rude to Maury, laughing at all of the wrinkles on his face, and Maury schooled his little ass with respect and dignity, even though he was still throwing shade and putting the boy on his place. I loved it.

#52 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I miss the concerned talk show host that Maury Povich used to be. There was a time that Maury was about improving the human spirit and well being. Now these days Maury is only known for his DNA reveal shows and that’s it. Maury also used to have those get teens scared straight type shows to get teens on the right path. I just hate that he has given into the circus act in order to get ratings and that is so sad to me. I thought Maury was trying to make a difference in people’s life and he seems like such a sellout now.

#53 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

I miss the concerned talk show host that Maury Povich used to be. There was a time that Maury was about improving the human spirit and well being. Now these days Maury is only known for his DNA reveal shows and that’s it. Maury also used to have those get teens scared straight type shows to get teens on the right path. I just hate that he has given into the circus act in order to get ratings and that is so sad to me. I thought Maury was trying to make a difference in people’s life and he seems like such a sellout now.

You are totally right. He did care in the past. He was sensible and all about helping to rehabilitate the guests that appeared on his show. But since attaining this reputation, he does seem to have played up to it. He seems to be all about the drama these days, which is a shame. It is so blatant too!!

#54 LO0715

LO0715

Cordial

• 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

You are totally right. He did care in the past. He was sensible and all about helping to rehabilitate the guests that appeared on his show. But since attaining this reputation, he does seem to have played up to it. He seems to be all about the drama these days, which is a shame. It is so blatant too!!

Maury really was different back in the day. I think that being on air so long and his popular DNA shows and tag line "You are not the father," led him to become part of the ridiculously overrated shows like Jerry Springer. Even though on Maury the physical altercations are kept to a minimum, every DNA show seems almost exact to the next. Drama filled with ignorant people who embarass themselves every time they say that they are 1000% sure so and so is the father! It gets tiring.

He really was much more caring before DNA testing became so popular and now it is almost like he has become part of a reality tv based industry that is all about the ratings. It's true that reality tv is a big industry and television shows like Maury are entertaining sometimes, but his lack of compassion has placed him in the same category as the other careless, just hungry for ratings talk show hosts. It's sad because he really was the one television host that stood out from all of the rest, in my opinion.

#55 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:10 AM

I agree. And also, once you have been on air for so long, you get bored of doing the same thing over and over. So do the audience. You have to amp things up. Even though the paternity tests will always be his thing, he still managed to change things up by having the show take on more drama. But on the other hand it has gotten very tiresome and ridiculous, and he does seem to have lost his sense of empathy.

#56 zackman1

zackman1

Noob

• 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

Maury Pouvich made maturity testing popular.  For what reason he decided to go with DNA testing is beyond me. Maturity tests are personal and should not be publized as an instrument of shame. Because some of the women that have frequent his show as guests can't find the father's of their children. Those women are left to be viewed not only by the audience but American viewers and then judged in society. I'm surprised that some of the women haven't been reported in other more serious circumstances as a result of being publized as a spectacle from being on the show.

#57 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Maury Pouvich made maturity testing popular.  For what reason he decided to go with DNA testing is beyond me. Maturity tests are personal and should not be publized as an instrument of shame. Because some of the women that have frequent his show as guests can't find the father's of their children. Those women are left to be viewed not only by the audience but American viewers and then judged in society. I'm surprised that some of the women haven't been reported in other more serious circumstances as a result of being publized as a spectacle from being on the show.

Maturity tests? Do you mean paternity tests? Lol! Other shows have done paternity tests and do them, but no one quite does them like Maury does. Still I feel as though he has lost his integrity.

#58 STEPHiE08

STEPHiE08

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

I used to watch Maury back when they had different topics on each episode but now every single episode is someone finding out if they're the father or not the father & either running to the back of the stage to cry OR doing a dance in front of the audience depending on which news they heard...Most of the people that are on there seem like they are making up their story and just want to be on TV. I'm surprised Maury is still running for this long...

#59 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

I used to love those tough teenagers coming on stage and cursing and challenging the crowd and then being sent to military camp and breaking down and crying. More like a comedy than a talk show. How many seasons did Maury run? It felt like it just ended suddenly for no reason.

#60 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

I used to love those tough teenagers coming on stage and cursing and challenging the crowd and then being sent to military camp and breaking down and crying. More like a comedy than a talk show. How many seasons did Maury run? It felt like it just ended suddenly for no reason.

I get a kick out of those brats too. They are not really tough at all and their parents are the only ones that are afraid of them. Once you bring in the tough guys they are crying like little babies. 

I thought Maury was still one , are those just re-runs they are showing now?