• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

What talk shows do you remember watching in the past? What about them attracted you to them? Do you prefer today's versions or those of the past?

#2 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Phil Donahue tops the list; I don't remember if my parents watched Larry King. I don't remember very many of the talk shows per se, I do remember a lot of game shows being on TV as a kid. It might have been because my mom was more into the soaps and then Donahue before the evening news then Jeapordy/Wheel of Fortune hour then Prime Time on any given day except the weekends.

#3 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

When I was a kid I watched Donahue with my mom in the mornings during summer breaks. I was in middle school when Oprah became a household name. I loved the Ricki Lake show when I was in college as well as the short lived Jane Pratt show. Growing up talk shows were more about discussing social issues where as today is about exposing/embarrassing people and scripted fights. I prefer the older model of talk shows.

#4 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Who remembers The Newlywed Game; Let's Make A Deal or even Password? What are your favorite old time daytime game shows?

I really don't have one myself. I remember enjoying Let's Make A Deal because of the kooky costumes people used to dress in to appear on the show. I also remember the host asking for various items from the audience and, if they had it, they got a prize. I remember Password and of course the ever famous: Come on down, you're the next contestant on The Price Is Right

#5 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

I remember Sally Jessy Raphael, she came on either before or after Donahue (cannot remember); famous for her red rimmed glasses. Montel Williams famous for his returning guest Silvia who is a Medium; Geraldo Rivera, who could forget him, a hard hitting talk show host that went ofter the baddies with a vengeance?

#6 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

I enjoyed watching Donahue. I remember he was so good looking and would often come up with the line, "Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?" I didn't really understand what he was talking about then because I was so young. Now, I think of him whenever anything comes up about those witch hunts of the 1950s.

#7 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I can remember watching shows like Ricki Lake and they seemed a lot more tame back then. Today's talk shows have gotten so sleazy; few quality ones still exist.

#8 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Not many at least not in my area. I could be wrong but, on broadcast TV here (I don't subscribe to Dish or cable) we have Springer, Povich, Kyle, Williams, Wilkos, Anderson, The Talk and The View. Not much really, Springer and Povich are the swinging guests, Povich has the award for the most baby momma dramas I have ever seen.

#9 Filigurl

Filigurl

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I used to watch The Rickl Lake show a lot (go Ricki, go Ricki!) when I was younger. Loved it and loved her. I always watched The Oprah Winfrey Show back then too. Oprah felt like a sister.

#10 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

It's funny to see how many of you watched Donahue. I was a huge Donahue fan and, in fact, became very political at a young age because of him (even though we're on opposite sides of the fence). I can't think of anyone who was a versatile as he was. One day he would have a bunch of senators discussing serious current events and the next day he would have transvestites!

#11 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I do miss watching Oprah's talk show. I actually subscribed to the new channel for awhile, but the shows she was putting out didn't interest me as much as when she was on regular television, so I ended up dropping the pay channel.

#12 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

I do miss watching Oprah's talk show. I actually subscribed to the new channel for awhile, but the shows she was putting out didn't interest me as much as when she was on regular television, so I ended up dropping the pay channel.

I'm not a big Oprah fan because of her political views; however, I have watched some of her Sunday night interviews on the new channel. I really enjoyed the ones with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Joel Osteen and his wife, and George Lucas.

#13 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

I had forgotten all about Phil Donahue. We use to watch him all the time. I thought his show was good and he was before Oprah. I know there was some before him also but can't recall them right now.

#14 Zynoa

Zynoa

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

I use to love the Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas talk shows. Is there anyone who remembers those shows, or am I the oldest one here?

#15 destiny

destiny

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Zynoa, I also remember Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas, lol. How about late night talk shows? Johnny Carson was my favorite. I really didn't like Jay Leno at all. As far as game shows, I remember so many that are not on now. There isn't enough room here to type them all. I sure miss the old days.

#16 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

No, you're not the only one to remember Merv Griffin, Zynoa. I didn't think of him as a daytime talk show host, though, because they aired it at night in my area. The only two I remember watching years ago were Sally Jessy and Phil Donahue. Donahue was on when I was still a kid. Today's talk shows are just so full of drama and trash, mostly. I do like Ellen Degeneres but she rarely tackles any serious topics.

#17 sparkle73

sparkle73

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

What about Jenny? Anybody remembered her show? She had a lot of actions going on through the daily taping of her show, with a host of characters that made you come back for more and more, wonder what happened to her after that law suit issue?

#18 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

She had a lot of actions going on through the daily taping of her show, with a host of characters that made you come back for more and more.

LOL!

No shit

#19 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

When I was a kid I watched Donahue with my mom in the mornings during summer breaks. I was in middle school when Oprah became a household name. I loved the Ricki Lake show when I was in college as well as the short lived Jane Pratt show. Growing up talk shows were more about discussing social issues where as today is about exposing/embarrassing people and scripted fights. I prefer the older model of talk shows.

This post here is so painfully true. And I can tell the poster is close to my age judging by Donahue being watched as a kid.

Talk shows back in those days were about at least trying to genuinely help people. They tried to serve a purpose to society by hitting real life issues head on.

But today, it's all about making fun of and shaming people on live television for ratings.

#20 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Oh man! I remember watching the Ricki Lake show, Jenny Jones, Jerry Springer and Oprah. My favorite of the bunch was Ricki Lake.I think it was because she was a younger generation talk show host so I felt I could relate to her and her show topics more. I liked her bubbly personality too.