• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

I love Ellen's show, but I get sick and tired of all the teen pop stars and reality show personalities she has on all the time. I used to watch all the time, but now it's just a once in a while thing. I'm still a big fan in general, but it just isn't how it used to be. Other than that, there really isn't anything on during the day that interests me.

#22 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I can remember watching shows like Ricki Lake and they seemed a lot more tame back then. Today's talk shows have gotten so sleazy; few quality ones still exist.

Are there ANY quality ones that exist? I stopped watching daytime TV several years back and don't even bother trying these days. I can't think of anything that I would want to watch that's on during the day. Infomercials maybe....? :P

#23 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Of the top of my head, Rachel Ray. I can't stand her but when I'm forced to watch ... Waiting rooms .... She'll has some good cooking tips

Also the Chew on ABC

#24 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Daytime tv has gotten worse partially because most of the best people have left it behind. And the biggest blow came from Oprah leaving her show.

#25 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Of course everyone watched Donahue at some point. Geraldo, Sally Jesse Raphael... There were so many talk shows at one time they knocked out game shows. Now it seems like talk shows are having a comeback, probably due in part to the reality TV phenomenon.

#26 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Daytime tv has gotten worse partially because most of the best people have left it behind. And the biggest blow came from Oprah leaving her show.

What more could Oprah do other than interviewing God, Satan, or the ghost of Elvis? Is there any major celebrity who hasn't sat down with Oprah? Before she went off the air? I don't think so. Some have sat down with her twice! In the end, it was time to walk away.

#27 mcb1180

mcb1180

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I saw an episode of Maury a few weeks ago, and I was really sad. I remember when he had real guests now it seems to be nothing but paternity tests and cheating stories. Same with Jerry Springer, though his show was always more prone to those types of stories.

My mom likes to tell a story of how she met Maury as a child when he interviewed people in her building about it's poor condition. Wonder if she knows how his show is now?

#28 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

When I was growing up my parents didn't have cable, the only channel we were able to watch was CBS.  I was probably the only child that spend their summer vacation watching the all star soap line up: Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light.  My favorite daytime talk show was Rosie O'Donnell, she was obnoxious, but she was so lively and animated.  Remember, she used to fling those colorful toys into the audience several times an episode? 

#29 cjcassada

cjcassada

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

The biggest blow to daytime has been the cancellation of the soaps. As the World Turns, Guiding Light, All My Children, and One Life To Live were all great shows, but the networks got rid of them to make room for more talks shows. The only new talk show I like is The Talk, as for The Chew and Katie, I've never watched them, but I'd imagine they're a snoozefest.

#30 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

I thought jerry springer was still very much popular, and if a show like that isnt on at daytime, i can see why.

#31 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

It wasn't a daytime talk show, but Morton Downey Jr., that guy literally paved the way for shows like Jerry Springer. I remember he used to smoke like a million cigarettes and he always had a member of the KKK on his show. I also remember when Geraldo Rivera got knocked the hell out too.

#32 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

I'm kind of shocked at watching old clips of these daytime talk shows from decades ago. I was watching some old clips when people like RuPaul or Marylin Manson were on shows like Donahue or Geraldo and the hosts and the audience were just ripping them to shreds. Honestly, the audience looked like more of a freak show than they did.

#33 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

The biggest blow to daytime has been the cancellation of the soaps. As the World Turns, Guiding Light, All My Children, and One Life To Live were all great shows, but the networks got rid of them to make room for more talks shows. The only new talk show I like is The Talk, as for The Chew and Katie, I've never watched them, but I'd imagine they're a snoozefest.

Yes, You are so right , I really miss Guiding Light , Josh and Reba forever ! I think if they had tried harder this show could have made it. I know it was canceled in 2009 but why can't it make a come back on HULU like All My Children of on satellite , like Passions. This show has over 60 years of loyal fans , I think I think they cound reboot it.

#34 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

What more could Oprah do other than interviewing God, Satan, or the ghost of Elvis? Is there any major celebrity who hasn't sat down with Oprah? Before she went off the air? I don't think so. Some have sat down with her twice! In the end, it was time to walk away.

LOL! I think what I miss more than the Oprah show itself were all the parodies they did of her on Mad TV back when that was on the air. Deborah Wilson did a spot on impersonation of her, especially when she would portray her as turning into a monster with fangs and glowing eyes. 

Of course Conan's bit on her show was off the wall funny...

https://www.youtube....h?v=GNhoFaHU3_A

#35 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

I used to watch The Rickl Lake show a lot (go Ricki, go Ricki!) when I was younger. Loved it and loved her. I always watched The Oprah Winfrey Show back then too. Oprah felt like a sister.

I used to like Ricki Lake too. I thought her show was kind of charming because of her personality. I've never really watched Oprah on a regular basis because I remember reading the stories about her solid gold toilet and her billions of dollars and watching her makes me feel poor. :P

#36 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Did anyone watch the reboot of Ricki Lake before it was canceled? I watched a few times and was not impressed. The show did not have the same light fun appeals of the original. Another problem is the show seemed to be split down the middle on topics. Meaning she would cover more than one topic per show and not spend the whole hour on any one subject.

#37 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

I agree that I miss Oprah's talk show as well. She was very informative and I love how she worker her guests. I am so glad that she did not go the road of Maury Povich where he started out changing lives positively and then went straight to what gets ratings instead. I actually miss Geraldo a little too because he was such an example to the his heritage and his community. I miss really life changing talk shows the hosts were reaching out to people to make positive differences in life. That is so rare these days because everybody wants entertainment and ratings grabbers.

#38 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

Did anyone watch the reboot of Ricki Lake before it was canceled? I watched a few times and was not impressed. The show did not have the same light fun appeals of the original. Another problem is the show seemed to be split down the middle on topics. Meaning she would cover more than one topic per show and not spend the whole hour on any one subject.

I agree with this. While it was nice to see Ricki Lake back on television, the style and content of the show explained that it just wasn't the same anymore. Not only that but Ricki was younger and more interesting to watch back then.  I haven't even watched the new program for awhile now, because I only caught it on TV one night when I had nothing better to do, so it's a bit shocking to hear it's already cancelled. Ouch. 

#39 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Did they cancel 30 Minute Meals on Food Network? I was just watching some episodes yesterday and realized I haven't seen any new ones in a long time. I know that she branched off and did that other cooking show where she cooks a week worth of food at once, but I though she was doing 30 Minute Meals at the same time. There is no mention of it being cancelled but there haven't been any new episodes in a few years either.

I'm not really a fan of her talk show since she doesn't really ask any hard questions, it's more like a giant infomercial for whomever she has on the show.

#40 cookiemonster16

cookiemonster16

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

Wow so they did cancel the new Ricki Lake show I had no idea! I had heard about her coming back on and I remember being pretty stoked considering how much I loved watching her back then. I did get a chance to catch a couple of episodes of the new show and I actually did enjoy it, it really was great getting to see her back on TV. After a few episodes I had lost track of the show and forgotten about it, but I had no idea they had canceled it already. That is sad considering she is a good talk show host.