• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I found this one on Netflix and absolutely love it! It is surprisingly entertaining and "out there". The humor is on-point, and the challenges the "girls" do are fun to watch.

Have you seen this one?

#2 Filigurl

Filigurl

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

I've watched it! Found it quite inspiring actually. I love RuPaul, the judges s/he brought in and the contestants. Some of the outfits the contestants designed and wore for their competitions were very bold. My favorite part used to be the weekly sing-off --- or should I say lip-synch-off?!

#3 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

No, I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a show I'd enjoy. I really like fashion shows and the drag aspect gives it a fun twist. Is it only on Netflix, or are current seasons airing on cable television?

#4 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have never caught it myself but I was an avid watcher of another show, sadly now I forget the name of it. We also watched something else that reminded me of RuPaul but I can not put my finger on it, the guy was a blonde that I do remember.

#5 workhomeunion

workhomeunion

Cordial

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

RuPaul is looking for America's next drag superstar? If nothing else you must admire RuPaul's persistence. He will go down in entertainment history as the greates drag queen of them all, for what that might be worth.

Well ...

According to Forbes, RuPaul Andre Charles has a net worth of $4 million, and is recognized for his work as a drag queen and for two television series, “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and “RuPaul’s Drag U”.

Regardless of how you feel about this guy, he's managed to carve out a successful career.

#6 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've seen a couple episodes and am always in awe of how good their makeup skills are. Some of the men are really skilled at makeup application. The challenges are hilarious. The show was pretty good, but I stopped watching because, although it was entertaining, it wasn't enough to keep me a loyal viewer week after week.

#7 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

The only thing I can say about this show is a-mazing! It blows my mind to watch the interactions with the queens and listen to their stories. I have no problem with the lifestyle, but it's just heartbreaking to see how unhealthy they are. And I really hate how much they fling around the B word.

#8 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I never really was a fan of RuPaul but I have to give him/her credit....for parlaying whatever it is, she/he does...into a pretty long career and still making bank, and cashing a check off of it. Maybe some Hollywood up and comers could learn a thing or two from her/him.

#9 Decadence

Decadence

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I absolutely love this show! The humor is amazing and the challenges are even better! I haven't had time to really sit down and watch all of the seasons but, every now and then I tune in and it's always so incredibly worth it. If you're a fan of RuPaul, you should definitely check out Zombie Prom: The Movie (it's on youtube). Ru is amazing in it! And it's a fun little short film to get the day started.

#10 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just wanted to let you all know this topic has been moved from the 'Reality Lounge' forum to the 'Real Reality Shows' forum.

#11 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

I heard of this show, seen the commercials on TV thought about watching it too, I looked it up have to say I like Sharon Needles solo album love the song "This club is a haunted house" seems like a interesting show to watch, I may have to see it sometime

Edited by XxMotleyCrueXx, 06 July 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#12 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I had no idea the episodes were on Netflix. I was always trying to watch them via the Logo web site, but they are only up there for a limited time. This is one of my favorite shows, and when the new seasons are airing, we make a pretty big deal about it each night the show is on - basically everything else is off the table, nothing get's between us and show night, lol. I was really excited to see Sharon Needles win last season, she was a front runner from the very first episode.

#13 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

I never go to Netflix for this show, nor do I go to Logo. I was going to Logo to watch The A-List and other shows like it, but they never played because of my location in the world, which is pretty annoying. But whatever. I just search the web and download the episodes, and I do so with every other show that I watch lol. I LOVED Sharon Needles, and knew that she would be a front runner from the very first episode. She was different from the other pageant types and brought forth something interesting.

#14 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have watched the drag queens in action and cannot believe how conceited some of the contestants are. The padding, emotional drama, conceit, and poor taste reveals some of the psychological scarring brought on by years of constant rejecton suffered at the hands of family members and society at large.

I would like to see some of the flamers on a show with some of "Real Wives" stars. We would not be able to tell them apart!

:lol:

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have watched the drag queens in action and cannot believe how conceited some of the contestants are. The padding, emotional drama, conceit, and poor taste reveals some of the psychological scarring brought on by years of constant rejecton suffered at the hands of family members and society at large.

I would like to see some of the flamers on a show with some of "Real Wives" stars. We would not be able to tell them apart!

Not overly impressed with your use of the term flamers, but it is the internet and so I can't hear your tone, but only assume it. 

but apart from that, most of the drag queens that I have talked to in real life are absolutely hilarious men. They have me crying with laughter; they are so funny and quick-witted. They are not afraid to single you out in a crowd and take the piss out of you, for everyone else's laughter either, which can be a bit intimidating but it is as funny as hell!!!

There used to be a show called The A-List and it was a reality show like Real Housewives, but it was just gay men instead. I LOVED it.

#16 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not overly impressed with your use of the term flamers, but it is the internet and so I can't hear your tone, but only assume it. 

but apart from that, most of the drag queens that I have talked to in real life are absolutely hilarious men. They have me crying with laughter; they are so funny and quick-witted. They are not afraid to single you out in a crowd and take the piss out of you, for everyone else's laughter either, which can be a bit intimidating but it is as funny as hell!!!

There used to be a show called The A-List and it was a reality show like Real Housewives, but it was just gay men instead. I LOVED it.

My gay friends label the personality trait "flaming".  Those possesing the trait are "flamers". Of the terms used by my gay friends, the term I chose is the least offensive of many. While revealing an underlying friction between differing factions of the local gay community, the term describes a laundry list of affectations that would otherwise be too long to list.

Edited by MercyL, 13 August 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#17 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

My gay friends label the personality trait "flaming".  Those possesing the trait are "flamers". Of the terms used by my gay friends, the term I chose is the least offensive of many. While revealing an underlying friction between differing factions of the local gay community, the term describes a laundry list of affectations that would otherwise be too long to list.

I spend all of my time in the gay community, which is perhaps why I was sensitive to you using the term. In my opinion, gay people should be able to use the word flamers, but I am assuming that you are straight. I am not a fan of straight people using words like that. Most of the time when straight people use it, it is mostly to degrade and make one look bad or effeminate, or annoyingly flamboyant. I just felt that there was no need for the use of the term in your previous post. You could have said flamboyant or ostentatious or anything, but you used flamer, which is a known derogatory term for  'over-the-top' gay men.

#18 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

By the way, the term "flaming" comes from the fact that gay people used to be burned alive over sticks that were gathered up, also known as "fags". 

Incidentally I saw RuPaul live at a nightclub in Akron, Ohio in the early 2000's. She was a total bitch and was being really rude to the crowd during the whole show. She made the club owners build a temporary hallway out of plywood so she didn't have to come in contact with any of the patrons when going up to the stage. Rumor has it they paid her like $17k to perform there, and on top of that there was a $20 admission fee to get into the bar, then she kept stopping the show and complaining that people were tipping her with $1's and $5's instead of $10's and $20's. Umm, hello, you're in cash-strapped rust belt Akron, Ohio - not the freaking Hamptons. If that wasn't bad enough, when people started getting pissed off during the show, she stopped coming to the edge of the stage completely and just stood against the back of the stage for the rest of the show. She was thin as a rail and looked strung out. She looks a lot better now on the show though, and her attitude seems a lot better as well. 

#19 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

By the way, the term "flaming" comes from the fact that gay people used to be burned alive over sticks that were gathered up, also known as "fags". 

Incidentally I saw RuPaul live at a nightclub in Akron, Ohio in the early 2000's. She was a total bitch and was being really rude to the crowd during the whole show. She made the club owners build a temporary hallway out of plywood so she didn't have to come in contact with any of the patrons when going up to the stage. Rumor has it they paid her like $17k to perform there, and on top of that there was a $20 admission fee to get into the bar, then she kept stopping the show and complaining that people were tipping her with $1's and $5's instead of $10's and $20's. Umm, hello, you're in cash-strapped rust belt Akron, Ohio - not the freaking Hamptons. If that wasn't bad enough, when people started getting pissed off during the show, she stopped coming to the edge of the stage completely and just stood against the back of the stage for the rest of the show. She was thin as a rail and looked strung out. She looks a lot better now on the show though, and her attitude seems a lot better as well. 

I know where the term flaming comes from, but as with other terms over time the meaning can adopt a different adaptation. Flamer has done this over the years,and now is mostly used to refer to a gay man who is an obviously gay men, and therefore easy to see, just like a flame is. it just means that the gay man is flamboyant or that he is an obviously gay man. It is used to put down a lot.

It is like the N word. White people shouldn't use it, in my opinion.

#20 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've also had the reverse happen to me where some of my more effeminate gay friends have accused me of being a closet case and a homophobe because I'm not as outwardly flamboyant as them. It gets pretty obnoxious because I'm just being myself and they keep wanting to treat me like I'm hiding something when I am not. Or they start projecting and saying stuff like "you just don't want to be seen with gay people like us" and crap like that. They aren't willing to accept me for who I am even though I've countless times accepted them for who they are. Not all gay men are cosmo sipping, madonna worshipping, sassy "queens". It's kind of ridiculous when see some gay guys go out of their way to live up to a plastic stereotype of gay men.